ATI Filtering Optimisation - Genius or Disingenuous

How do you feel about ATI's Adaptive Filtering

• Total voters
I can't decide yet either way, probably a bit of both...I wanna play around a bit between me 9600 & 9700 for a while and see if I can see the difference for myself before I decide.

I think it's a great feature but I'm totally behind those who want to be able to turn it on/off. Especially to see the frame rates jump and check out the imperceptible loss of quality like ATI is promising (or even an improvement in quality if such a thing is possible).

I just think it is funny that this optimisation has been in the driver since 3.4 and no one has noticed until now. Am I the only one to come to the conclusion that if that really is the case, there is no issue with IQ loss? Sure, let them put an option for Full Trilinear in the control panel, but Nvidia should do the same (currently the option doesn't work last time I check). I don't think ATI will have an issue with that. Bit-wise comparisions do no good for comparing IQ so we need better ways to judge, since currently it is all subjective.

One other thing is why should ATI have to explain every optimization in their driver? Do games explain every optimization from their code that they put in since they started writing code for the game? I think not.

Megadeth said:
I just think it is funny that this optimisation has been in the driver since 3.4 and no one has noticed until now. Am I the only one to come to the conclusion that if that really is the case, there is no issue with IQ loss?

No IQ loss compared to what?

Bit-wise comparisions do no good for comparing IQ so we need better ways to judge, since currently it is all subjective.

This is very true, there are a number of major flaws in the current methods used to compare IQ at the moment.

Back