ATI chosen to power DOOM3 but now NV cards run it better

Do you remember ATI chosen to power DOOM3 for E3 2002 ?

but Now NV cards run it better.
That seems very ironic .
And what about HalfLife2?
Now ATI chosen to power HalfLife2 for E3 2003.

In 2002 there was no card that would run Doom 3 better than a Radeon 9700 Pro.

And your point is?

thyee say doom III will be here for holiday season but for some reason I doubt it.... well at least is it not duke nukem forever..............

Rah Rah Rah! GO Team GO! *shakes pom poms*

Who cares! Both Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 are going to be great, as long as you meet the requirements. That's all that should matter.

funny stuff the gfx business is

I remember getting the doom3 alpha last year after it came out at E3. I know shame on me :? . I find out that doom3 was released by some guys at ATI who really loved the game. Idsoftware was mad of course and made nvidia the power house for the doom 3 game. Now it comes to E3 and here is doom3 again. Only this time it isn't a demo for people to play. Idsoftware has to play it safe because of what ATI did. Now you see that Nvidia has degraded quality on that dumb stupid moronic benchmark program (can you tell I don't believe in them) so that they would get better scores. I hope that Nvidia isn't doing the degrading quality of games in their drivers as to get better fps, but who can tell now since both companies are becoming pretty underhanded and both companies don't care about other companies feelings. If it be cheating on benchmarking tools or just handing out a game that is suppose to be exclusive for E3 only. I want everyone to know that both companies need to do some work on their PR.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
thyee say doom III will be here for holiday season but for some reason I doubt it.... well at least is it not duke nukem forever..............

Speaking of...I was browsing old Carmack .plans last night and came across this gem:

[url=http://finger.planetquake.com/plan.asp?userid=johnc&id=200 said:
On :!: April 28, 1997 :!: John Carmack[/url]]I'm sure you have all heard about the 3drealms / quake deal by now. It took a long time to get everything nailed down, but it should be worth it.

The "quake 2" terminology is a little confusing. They have all the quake / glquake / quakeworld stuff right now, but they will be picking up the quake 2 codebase after we finish it.

I'm quite excited about this -- it should be a very complimentary arrangement. We would never have done a game like Duke at id, but there are many valid styles of design that are mutually exclusive. Todd and the rest of the Duke team are hard working developers with a pretty clear vision of what they want. It happens to be different than our vision, but the market is plenty big enough for both of them.

This would, of course, be on the occasion of the original DNF announcement. My how time flies.

To put a bit of perspective on this date: Daikatana had been announced 11 days earlier. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I get the feeling from ATi's quote a week or two ago "we haven't optmised for this game - its still beta" means:

1) huge gulf between id and ATi on this game and

2) NVidia putting alot of resources (and $$$ into idSoftware)

So holiday season is exactly when please if you're on of the 5 billion people who don't live in the USA? If ATi don't get invited to tune drivers 2-3 months before the release know that points 1) and 2) above are really solid guesses - probably with packaging and final q/a activities ATi should be optimising 5-6 months before release!!!

So you judge when Doom 3 will be out.

Back