Athlon 64 -> 2H03

mat

Regular
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_608,00.html

Public-roadmap-012403.jpg

so once again (after both delayed their CPUs) Athlon 64 and Prescott will launch at the same time

Sigh....

I'm planning on putting together a system this spring. I'm anticipating that it's going to be an Intel (springdale / canterwood) rig (pending actual product reviews), but I was counting on the Athlon64 to be around so I could at least consider it...and in the worst case have the competition impact market prices...

some comments from amd
The performance of the x86-64 products is meeting AMD’s design expectations. However, the company underestimated the challenge of getting the SOI transistor to scale to the target frequencies. AMD believes that the technology development agreement with IBM and their understanding of SOI can help the Sunnyvale-based company to address these issues.

I was also very disappointed to hear this. I'll be embarking on my 3 year system overhaul this spring and wanted to give the athlon 64 serious consideration. Now its looking more and more like I'll be going back to intel for their 3.2 ghz P4 unless the Athlon XP 3000+ is a real knockout and doesnt require FX level cooling. :(

Back