Asrock...?

horvendile

Regular
I may have an opportunity to get an Asrock motherboard (K7VT2) extremely cheap. Now... has anyone actually heard of Asrock? Does anyone know anything about them, such as whether they tend to produce POS or fairly decent products? I've heard that they're an Asus offspring, whatever that means.

I'd be surprised if anyone has any experience with the K7VT2, or with Asrock at all, but any input would be welcome.

Regards,
Horvendile

They're a pretty new company, I haven't heard much about them yet. If it's cheap enough that you could throw it away if it was crap, no reason not to try it, since you could always buy a good replacement without being out too much cash.

If it's not that cheap, and you're actually worried about losing the money you'd spend on it, then you might as well just buy a board you know is good, like the A7N8X, which isn't terribly expensive anyway.

ASRock K7VT2 detailed specs for those that are interested.

I've heard that they're an Asus offspring, whatever that means.

Asus or Asustek as their also known, generally make very good motherboards IMO. I don't know how good Asrock is but it's anything like Asus's own motherboards it should be pretty good.

I managed to find a couple of reviews. Review1.

More reviews note this link uses Google Translate (the original document is in German). Seems to be a mixture of good and bad from what I can tell.

Thanks.

It's a campaign offer and indeed extremely cheap; I'd say it costs only slightly more than your average ice cream. The catch is of course a ridiculously limited supply. Anyway, I'll buy one if I get the chance, and in case I never use it - well, no big loss.

Asrock

1. They're offspinged from Asus to make "cheap" MB fighting ECS expansion
2. K7VT2 is based on Via KT266A, while not latest/fastest chipset it is stable and performing on levels of Sis735 , KT333 IMHO
3. Although the board has no cpu-voltage control it does have FSB control in 1MHz increments. With good CPU (Thoroughbred 1700+) it goes easy up to 166FSB. Connecting bridges for CPU voltage increasing can give even better results.
4. The board has "micro-cop" feature ie immediate shutdown if CPU becomes too hot. But I never tried it... :)

Back