Article feedback wanted

This brings up a pricing question.

When people here give prices for stuff. Is it common practice to include VAT? In Sweden it's illegal to advertise with the price without VAT as the "main price" if you're targeting home consumers. It's OK to state it as 1250Kr (1000Kr excl. VAT). So I tend to think on prices with VAT.

I just wondered since the R9700 DT linked to actually costs >£300 incl VAT.

Very nice king_iron_fist. I read through it but it got me thinking about how I would like to see a review, preview, roundup, or whatever written as a consumer. What I'm about to write has nothing to do with your roundup but I'll get to that later.

I would like to see a "discussion" (preview/review/roundup) to be in somewhat of an APA style format. You would have a short abstract so you can get the gist of what the article is about. A nice intro to include whatever is deemed associated to the hardware from history to evolution to current specifics. Then I'd like to see specs and basic facts followed by results to include benchmarks and screenshots. At no time in this would there be any conclusions or descriptions of "good or bad" made.... just facts. In the conclusion however I would add "this aniso implementation is better" or "this card has RGMS which may be better than OGMS" or whatever. It seems like an article loses validity in my mind if it's littered with opinion throughout... but I like a logical opinion at the conclusion.

About price. >In my humble opinion< a valid review should only use MRSP. Anything else tends to bias. Yes, it's true you can pick up a card for much less on Pricewatch and most people know this. Yes, it's true that brand-A overall is a better value than brand-B when looking for sales sometimes. I just think you have to go with MRSP to keep a sense of validity and reliability to an unbiased review when a site does reviews. Just like "driver threads", if there is something dramatic about a certain (driver) price outside of what the (driver version) MRSP is then it should be noted but most people know a card will be on sale somewhere anyway.

I get really tired of mismatched appropriation. By the time you use "qualifications" for a price "sale vs. MRSP" you usually have ended up biasing the article. You'll see this shortly with a comparison between GF4 vs. R300 vs. NV30 and I doubt anyone will be able to do that prudently within an objective "price roundup" using Pricewatch vs. MRSP, etc., etc.,....

The above will never happen. You don't get hits these days by being unbiased unless you have a sterling reputation. You need Tom vs. Kyle marketing tactics to get hits these days it seems.

Long winded reply/rant, lol. Got o' bit o' the cold and flu tonight.

I liked your preview but I'd double check some of the NV28 stuff with some of the educated rumor on this site.

yeah - I really should have mentioned that the P10 was being used to great success in wildcat boards but it does look like it won't appear in the desktop market for some time.

Regardless, it was an oversight and the article has been updated ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming :D

"Also there is the even more secretive rumour that an unexpected electronics giant may soon be making its presence felt as well..."

hahahaha.. thats funny :LOL:

Basic said:
This brings up a pricing question.

When people here give prices for stuff. Is it common practice to include VAT? In Sweden it's illegal to advertise with the price without VAT as the "main price" if you're targeting home consumers. It's OK to state it as 1250Kr (1000Kr excl. VAT). So I tend to think on prices with VAT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually in the US the prices are stated excl. VAT and incl. VAT in Europe. (I don't know for the other continents and Canada...)

So you should look at the origin of the poster when comparing prices in posts...;)

Basic said:

High street stores and normal consumer catalgues/online order sites will advertise with the VAT included. However, in the UK companies to not pay VAT and because computer parts are usually targetted at companies you'll find that most computer catalogues/sites in the UK will advertise the main price excluding VAT.

Back