ART of War, nV vs. ATi your thoughts

The last statment I saw they had something like $600M+ in cash. There is no way they cut costs on R600 R&D. Did they "leverage"? Yeah, sure, but the evidence is pretty conclusive they had that in mind from well before R520 ran into trouble.

Razor1 said:
ah ok yeah was looking straight at cash in hand :)

Ah. Yeah, short term investments qualify too, as they are just the Finance department doing their best to get the time value of money, while still keeping it more-or-less readily available.

Razor1 said:
...either the g 70 was the nv47 or its a variation (I think it was a varation with increased quads) even that thats still very dangerous to look at, a 16 pipe card with higher clocks and abundant shader power when comparied to a gf 6.
NV47 = G70

Razor1 said:
Well I say nV wins no matter what, there are two parts to this. Marketshare and profits. nV can cut prices to the point ATi can't compete with, if ATi goes to the extent to keep up with price wars, they will have no profits on most of thier chips, while nV matains thier margins (but to a lesser degree). ATi will not let nV gain marketshare this way but at the end poor financials will show up.
Accept they won't, nvidia is all about the profits. Look up current prices, the X1900 XTX is going for around $500-550 and so is the 7900 GTX.

radeonic2 said:
As has been said nvidia just got lucky, pure and simple.
Ati might not be making as much a profit but they still some superior products imo.
The 7900GT is pretty much what nvidia has over ati atm.
Don't forget that nvidia is still have availability problems.
And what is ATi's answer to G73?
As i see it, 7600 literally stomps over X1600 ... smaller and cheaper to produce yet faster , X1800GTO is too expensive (120$ per chip only!).

Well I say nV wins no matter what, there are two parts to this. Marketshare and profits. nV can cut prices to the point ATi can't compete with, if ATi goes to the extent to keep up with price wars, they will have no profits on most of thier chips, while nV matains thier margins (but to a lesser degree). ATi will not let nV gain marketshare this way but at the end poor financials will show up.

Right now a X1900XT at newegg is at $434. Cheapest 7900 is 519.

Considering those cards are probably eqauls..

I dont know if ATI just is getting better yields due to experience at 90nm or what.

Regardless, I really really like where ATI ended up. They have the strongest card. They are really sitting pretty.

If the war analogy is going to be raised then the graphics battle reminds me of WWI. After some good gains both ways a prolonged period of trench warfare is being done with small gains one way and then the other depending on who's turn it is to have the offensive.

I'll quote Churchill :- " We Shall fight them on the benches .... "

I would have to agree with others, its no an Art its more of a lucky thing. ATI droped then lost the ball with the R520. If you took the orignal post of this thread, swap ATI and NV around then you have exactly what happened with the NV30 vrs R300....

Luck is very rare in business JB, I think many business man would tell you that. Luck would be the oppertunities opened by hard work, but in truth its not luck. Everything is calculated, it comes down to which company can execute and which company plans better, which company follows the Art of War better (thats exactly what that book is about planning and execution). Right now nV is obviously better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how planning and execution helps when a 3rd party library is bugged.
That would qualify as (bad) luck in my oppinion.

Back