ARM Midgard Architecture

Discussion in 'Mobile Graphics Architectures and IP' started by arjan de lumens, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Because it would be more than absurd for an as advanced GPU (in a relative sense for the small form factor space) like T604 to not support OGL_ES3.0. On one hand it supports advances stuff like atomic operations and FP64 and not ES3.0?

2. jedibeeftrix

Newcomer

i agree, it would be absurd, but colour me confused as to why ARM do not list support on the product page, whilst making a specific point of stating that the T628 does support 3.0 at the top of the same page.

even if its just a driver restriction designed to herd customers towards higher-margin SKU's it still does the consumer no good when he is looking at a device sporting the T604.......

3. dagamer

Veteran

4. ltcommander.data

Regular

The original OpenGL ES 3.0 announcement mentioned it'll take up to 6 months to release conformance tests. ARM may just be conservative in not claiming OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance until they have the certification to back it up. Does Khronos have any rules against claiming compliance without being subjected to testing?

5. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Yep. I can't recount the specifics and how it works for Promoters, but it's against the Khronos agreement to do so in the main unless you've passed conformance.

6. Lazy8s

Veteran

ARM should just state that they expect, or are planning, to support the next version of OpenGL ES on the T-604. No issues with that wording.

7. tangey

Veteran

Is opencl 1.1 embedded profile an official khronos standard ? I don't see anywhere on the khronos website for it, or indeed any entry to say some of the SGX cores have passed it ?

8. arjan de lumens

Veteran

For OpenCL, the "embedded profile" is provided in the main OpenCL specification text (chapter 10 in the case of the OpenCL 1.1 spec), rather than as a separate spec document.

While there doesn't seem to exist any SGX cores supporting OpenCL 1.1, either full or embedded, there exists at least two Vivante cores that have passed the conformance tests for OpenCL 1.1 embedded profile.

9. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Did you look in section 10 of the OpenCL 1.1 spec?

10. tangey

Veteran

I didn't read the spec at all :)

one assumes that as its a subset of the full profile, then any cores that have passed the embedded profile should appear in the opencl 1.1 list. Many SGX cores are quoted as supporting 1.1 embedded and Sgx545 core is quoted as supported 1.1 full profile, but I don't see them in the list. My interest was therefore raised when Rys mentioned that compliance shouldn't be referred to unless the appropriate core has been submitted and passed the test (albeit he does mention a possible caveat for promoters, which IMG of course are)

#170 tangey, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  11. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

We're only 1.0 Embedded compliant on the current driver. 1.1 Embedded is on the way for all USSE revs.

12. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    You lazy "distributed version control system".

Sorry, should have said it was an example of and/or listed the other revs.

13. codedivine

Regular

14. jedibeeftrix

Newcomer

well, two months later, and now with a T604 product launched and the arm page still only lists the GPU as OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant.

getting pessimistic about ever seeing support, the driver conformance test idea would seem more likely were it not for the fact that their existing products (with actual drivers) don't list support, whereas they are happy to shout out about ES 3.0 for successor (as yet) vaporware products.

15. wishiknew

Regular

Mali T760 and T720 announced.

16. Helmore

Regular

#176 Helmore, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  17. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

The T760 seems to be an up-to 16-core version of the T678 plus some techs that decrease memory bandwidth needs.

I don't really get what the T720 is, but it seems to be the successor to Mali 450MP8, so I'd expect similar performance with OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance and lower power consumption.

Both seem to target 700MHz using TSMC 28HPM.

Lanch partners seem to be Mediatek, Rockchip and.. LG Electronics?

18. Lazy8s

Veteran

Among some of the new features of the Mali-760:
    http://community.arm.com/groups/arm-mali-graphics/blog

Seems like that could stand for some more explanation.

Nice to read about the frame buffer compression. The elimination of work on non-updated pixel blocks for output and within the pipeline is also mentioned as a couple of new technologies, but that raises a few questions. I'll have to see if more info has been provided.

19. wishiknew

Regular

Mediatek just announced an quad A53 soc with T760

20. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I wonder how many clusters the 760 will have considering how low end 4*A53@1.5GHz really are.