Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? [XBSX, PS5]

Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? (Unrevealed product version)

• Total voters
Regular grid digital RGB/OLED panels as opposed to analogue signal-based scanning displays.

It's not really a true notion though. 720p at 50" will either be pixelated or blurred - no display tech can generate more information than provided. CRT just blurs very gracefully.

We probably wouldnt have the size of the displays we do now if CRT had remained the standard. However, I would wager that a 720P 36" CRT would deliver better image quality than a 1080p LCD of the same size, and could potentially still be more appealing than a 4K at that size.

There are a lot of quality factors involved such that a comparison of that sort can't be made. What price CRT versus what price 4K TV using what tech? I think this discussion has been had when DF reviewed the Sony CRT a few months back. The push for resolution is just necessary to have large screens that don't occupy an entire room and weigh as much as a small car. ;)

There are a lot of quality factors involved such that a comparison of that sort can't be made. What price CRT versus what price 4K TV using what tech? I think this discussion has been had when DF reviewed the Sony CRT a few months back. The push for resolution is just necessary to have large screens that don't occupy an entire room and weigh as much as a small car. ;)

Top of the line Sony Wega CRT 720p vs a top of the line 4K LCD of the same size. In the practical sense, LCD was the way to go. Most people enjoy having a very large TV that is used for more than just gaming. I was just pondering the idea if CRT had remained, a display technology that was much kinder to lower resolutions, developers would be able to leverage their resources differently, and arguably end up with more appealing results. This wold alleviate so much of the burden, especially as it concerns to memory bandwidth limitations. Right now, anytime a game renders at a resolution lower than the displays native res, the image is degraded.

1080p on a 50 inch fixed pixel display looks still great. I'm willing to bet 720p on a 50 inch CRT would look great also. Heck, the majority of films are still funneled through a 2K post process pipeline, and we watch those on huge cinema screens.

It is not enough , putting downgraded PC Components into a Soc and going to the Public and saying to the People " Look here this is our new Console" has nothing to do with Innovation. Next Gen Consoles are nothing special, each small Company here in Germany can build such a Console , we dont need Sony or Microsoft for that. Platinum Chief is right , Ps5 and Scarlett are not revolutionary , there are only a half Step. So we see Pro Models again?

Innovation was easier when we lived in a world where gpus were niche hardware and gpu manufacturers were small companies working to serve a fledgling market. It was easy for companies like Nintendo and Sony to step in and offer something innovative.

We don't live in that world anymore. Nintendo, MS and Sony uses sourced components because these third party manufacturers invent, innovate and iterate on almost an annual basis while servicing markets that together dwarf the console market.

The one which is 10TF RDNA within +/- 20%.

Gotcha. So you're ok with a 8-12TF console with NVME up to $500, but not $600. I'm down with that too, but I could see 12+ going for more than $500 especially if the same mfg offers a cheaper slower SKU. I wouldn't bite over $500 though. I would go with the lower-end SKU if the only difference was a slower GPU for 1080p-1440p games & smaller storage. Slower CPU? Then probably a no go as that would mean an inferior experience(less details, slower frame rate, etc) compared to the high end SKU.

Tommy McClain

German engineering has a good reputation.

When speaking about cars or airplane engines or weapons I suppose it's true. In the consumer electronics space the only German thing I can think of that's widely perceived as high quality are a bunch of head phone manufacturers.

How many German consumer electronics companies are there? It's silly to say any German company can produce a console - anyone can produce a console buying US designed CPUs and GPUs on a Taiwanese motherboard to play games. A console needs to be a fully realised platform, including OS and services and games. That's why Ouya and every other new player just fails.

The hardware is fairly immaterial to the job of playing games unless one is beholding to the antiquated romanticism of 'proprietary hardware'. The realities of the console business and pastimes are based in economics and creating affordable experiences. The days of esoteric hardware, the golden age, the likes of the Amiga powering past the typical computers of the time thinks to forwards-thinking, unhindered design and custom hardware, is way, way behind us. All freaky hardware does now is get in the way of the developers creating their games. Cerny identified this and very sanely chose not to do something stupid like split pools of RAM with tiny, super fast RAM. And if we look at the modern gaming landscape, the full glut of indies as well as the AAA megacorps, we see far more variety in actual games than ever before because of the homogenisation of hardware and tools. Devs are wrestling less with getting triangles on screen and more with game design and balance and ideas. Whether console games are pioneering or repetitive is down to the dev and pub choices and not the hardware, but having simple hardware eliminates that barrier and gives more opportunity for devs to try new stuff.

If, hypothetically, there was a magical new tech that'd be vastly superior to the PC designs on offer that if embraced by devs could provide a whole new world of gaming, then yes, it'd be somewhat amiss for the console companies to ignore that tech and give a watered down experience. But there isn't. Karmaprof's desires are for a fantasy, and no company on Earth, not from Germany or anywhere else, can make that happen.

I don't particularly care about the guys point that German engineers could build a game console. That kind of hypothetical argument isn't interesting to me. I was just pointing out that Germany is well known for having a lot of engineering talent. Whether they could build a game console in Germany? I don't really care.

Others have done quite well summarizing my position on not being remotely disappointed. Everyone here has some level of interest in the tech. Yet even here most are saying they are not disappointed. The 2 areas I wanted to see addressed in the previous generation, load times and draw distance, appear to be well on their way to vast, unheard of even, improvements in the coming gen.The days of bespoke and esoteric designs are gone and good riddance. They served their purpose for the time period.

I can say I was a little disappointed in the, apparent, lack of an MCM/ chiplet design. It seems that was just not going to be ready in time. I would have liked to see what they could do with the gains inherent to that kind of design. Even an MCM design wouldn't be on par with what the OP is asking for. I would trade a lot of hardware to make it easier for developers to create the games. I eagerly await what an SSD may provide for large open world games.

giphy.gif

I’d like to see Sony push a little more but it’s like the old car analogy....

Chassis cost a certain amount but put in a bigger engine in and then you need bigger brakes, firmer suspension, bigger tyres etc.

In the PS5 put in a bigger GPU then you need more cooling, bigger power supply etc..

I would’ve like to see Sony aim for 12 tf seeing as this is the 5th generation console and charge an extra $100 for it. what’s a $100 extra for a machine that has a lifespan of over 5 years? ($20 per year)

I’d like to see Sony push a little more but it’s like the old car analogy....

Chassis cost a certain amount but put in a bigger engine in and then you need bigger brakes, firmer suspension, bigger tyres etc.

In the PS5 put in a bigger GPU then you need more cooling, bigger power supply etc..

I would’ve like to see Sony aim for 12 tf seeing as this is the 5th generation console and charge an extra $100 for it. what’s a $100 extra for a machine that has a lifespan of over 5 years? ($20 per year)

That makes me thinking Microsoft's Xbox subscriptions. Not live or ganepass, but the one where you rent an Xbox from them

On average over time you would get the same average power as before, and the 100$ extra would only mean less players?
It's like on PC: If you have a friend upgrading every 5 years buying high end hardware, and you also upgrade each 5 years but mid range and always 2 years later, then both have the same average performance over time just your friend pays a lot more money.

Not really a consolation? Probably not :)
But then you can still choose XSX.
And we have to ask: If MS serves entry level and high end, what sense would it make for Sony to only offer high end?

Back