Are we going to ever get a sub $200 s939 dual core chip?

EasyRaider said:
X2 3800+ looks like a good offer, but other than that, their lineup will be overpriced compared to Intel's.

If that's all AMD has to offer, they'll lose market share fast.

They'll lose, but maybe not that fast. I bet there are still *a lot* of people on S939 unwilling to change platforms and still holding out for cheap(er) X2 offerings. And the folks at AMD know that. I currently have a 3800+ and I'm happy with it. I intend to upgrade once the 2.4GHz X2s are in the same price range as my single core. It's also to do with the fact that I'm still on AGP, natch :)

Curt said:
They'll lose, but maybe not that fast. I bet there are still *a lot* of people on S939 unwilling to change platforms and still holding out for cheap(er) X2 offerings. And the folks at AMD know that. I currently have a 3800+ and I'm happy with it. I intend to upgrade once the 2.4GHz X2s are in the same price range as my single core. It's also to do with the fact that I'm still on AGP, natch :)

That's the boat I'm in too, I have a S939 board and lots of DDR ram in it, I'll spend $150 to go dual core, but a CPU/Mobo/RAM change would be quite a bit more. I hardly game anymore though, so I'm not in any rush to upgrade. My 3000+ is pretty fast for everything else.

Back