Are some games companies getting more credit than they deserve?

Cobra101 said:
Considering this is a rather high tech geared forum, there sure is alot of Rev. talk.

;)

That's because 'Cube owners have plenty of time to post on the forums while the other console onwers are busy playing games most of the time. *runs while ducking*

Refreshment said:
To be accurate and please correct me if im wrong:
First game released in 1987

Metal Gear (msx)
Metal Gear II (msx)
Metal Gear (nes)
Metal Gear Snake's Revenge (nes)
Metal Gear Solid (psx)
Metal Gear Solid Integral (psx)
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost of Babel
Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty (ps2)
Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty Substance (ps2)
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (gc)
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater (ps2)
Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence

I focused in MG series because it was the one more way off. You have to remember in FF case theres some remixes or special editions, like International.

NOt taking part one way or the other just getting the facts straight.

Btw, we are way of topic now.
hmm... i'm not familiar with ghosts of babel, but you did miss a few releases. "metal gear solid" was released for the GBC. "metal gear" appeared on the C64, but i never played it so i don't know if it was original, or a port from the MSX (i suspect as much) or nes version. and not too long ago "metal gear" and "solid snake" (MG2) have appeared on cell phones.

i'll say again, a great example of an unmilked long running franchise is metroid. until recently, that is.

Powderkeg said:
People say that because unlike you, they have a firm grasp of reality.

Since you don't, I'll give you some help.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

That's your idea of the "least-milked continuing franchise in existence right now"?

Time to up the dosage on your medication.

Its amazing what you can make youself believe man.

12 games released on 7 different platforms over the course of 20 years (TP hasn't been released yet) and that's milking is it.. Yeah of course, its much worse then GTA which has so far seen 4 games released over the last 4 years (7 if you want to include ports to XBox as you have with stuff like Collectors Edition..).

Last edited by a moderator:
see colon said:
hmm... i'm not familiar with ghosts of babel, but you did miss a few releases. "metal gear solid" was released for the GBC. "metal gear" appeared on the C64, but i never played it so i don't know if it was original, or a port from the MSX (i suspect as much) or nes version. and not too long ago "metal gear" and "solid snake" (MG2) have appeared on cell phones.

i'll say again, a great example of an unmilked long running franchise is metroid. until recently, that is.

Ghosts of Babel is the overseas name of MGS on GBC.

see colon said:

Are you referring to the recent Metroid Pinball? That's crossing the line into milkage, IMO. Except for Pinball (actually looks cool IMO...but still...pinball?), since resurrecting the franchise with Prime, they seem to be shooting for about a 2 games per console rate (2 on GBA, 2 on Cube...prolly 2 on Rev and DS as well). This seems to be about the right pace for me. Any more, and you start to get complaints of beating it to death (look at Sony and Ratchet/Jak/Sly).

Okay now this is getting pitiful let's just all agree that both sides are milking some franchises and Nintendo really needs to stop putting Mario in every god dang thing like they have of late.

Squeak said:
Before Zelda that kind of atmosphere and structure hadn't been seen in a game before.

Its very easy to look at everything around you, games and movies that came out after a Zelda game and claim that it took from the game in some shape or form no matter how vague.

Bungie.
Guerilla Games.
Factor 5.
Silicon Knights.

All of the above, imo. But this thread is mostly a Nintendo hate/love thread atm :\

I sure didn't think Halo was that awesome. It was pretty cool, but I've been almost completely FPS'd out since playing Serious Sam co-op for hours on end back in college.

And why do people act like SK are gaming gods? Sure, Eternal Darkness was decent, but the graphics were fugly, it was too easy, and the dialogue was from a B movie. Oh, and they've been showing Too Human trailers for like...10 years or something. I kinda hope Too Human goes down in flames just so I can quit hearing Dennis Dyack proclaiming that [his] games are "going to become the dominant form of art in the 21st century." Sheesh.

Powderkeg said:
People say that because unlike you, they have a firm grasp of reality.

Since you don't, I'll give you some help.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

That's your idea of the "least-milked continuing franchise in existence right now"?

Time to up the dosage on your medication.

12 titles is hardly a lot. And Collector's Edition? Was that added just for show?
Here's a real example of milking: Megaman.

Just to list a couple:

Megaman 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Megaman and Bass
Megaman Soccer
Megaman X,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Megaman Extreme 1,2,3?
Megaman Zero 1,2,3,4.. and on..

There's around 20+ listed above and the list still goes on, probably double what I have mentioned. I didn't even have to list any Collector's Edition.

I don't get why people had to go through the Metal Gear Series to prove that Zelda isn't milking. There's many more drastic examples out there...

Squeak said:
Before Zelda that kind of atmosphere and structure hadn't been seen in a game before.

Zelda can out before their was a Playstation to play on. Come on man you know Zelda didn't create SOTC.

mckmas8808 said:
Zelda can out before their was a Playstation to play on. Come on man you know Zelda didn't create SOTC.
I didn't say Zelda created either SotC or ICO, only that they were very inspired by the series esp. OOT.
I'm not saying that the two games didn't contribute some of their own, of course they did.
It's just like Zelda was very inspired by movies, books and manga like Legend, Tolkiens books and Nausicaa.

I don't think it's fair to say that without Nintendo and Zelda, you wouldn't have had games where you run around a 3D world solving puzzles and having adventures.

Did I say anything like that?
There was Adventure on the 2600 before Zelda, there was Rogue and there were various text adventures. With regards to 3d there was 3d isometric and simple polygon games before Zelda; that's not what I'm talking about.
It's the atmosphere, the structure the whole set of semiotics and the aesthetics, that owes more than a passing resemblance to the Zelda games.

ztride said:
12 titles is hardly a lot. And Collector's Edition? Was that added just for show?
Here's a real example of milking: Megaman.

Well he forgot to mention:

Legend of Zelda BS
Link's Awakening DX
A Link to the Past GBA
Legend of Zelda GBA
Links Adventure GBA
BS A Link to the Past
and you could even add the three CDi-games to that list, and two Game & Watch games if you're extra picky.
And soon we will have even more of them.

That's a lot of Zelda games.

Zelda is one of my favorite series but come on, they're need to be a lot more creative with the series to not be accused of milking the series! I mean, Wind Waker was just Ocarina of Time with a boat and the changes between those two games weren't any bigger than the changes between GTA3 and San Andreas!

I really don't see (other than in a fairly loose sense) what the number of titles in a series has to do with whether it's been milked or not.

Most of the series mentioned so far have pushed boundaries regularly and on many of the the occasions that's not been the case they have still been polished and worthwhile efforts that fans of those series can enjoy while the developers get the payback from the groundbreaking work on previous titles.

To draw an analogy with TV I sure as heck wish Futurama had been 'milked' a bit longer a bit longer if that's your definition, so what if it would have been the same characters and looked roughly the same, new stories and new laughs would have done me.

REAL milking is when publishers try to palm off shoddy merchandise on the back of a good name (Cough, Tomb Raider, Cough)

Back