Are PS3 games really going to be in 1080p?

dukmahsik

Banned
@ 30fps? with high end effects and lots of geometry? how will the bandwidth be able to handle it. also with 2 ouputs?

any devs care to answer this?

dukmahsik said:
@ 30fps? with high end effects and lots of geometry? how will the bandwidth be able to handle it. also with 2 ouputs?

any devs care to answer this?

2 outputs at 1080p probably won't be possible (Takes up I believe twice the bandwith of 1080i...and outputting them to two screens? wow). Even then...a person with two 1080p capable HDTVs has to be a person with deeper pockets than the average joe. Although if 1080p was possible with the dual HDMI....I would just take two monitors and put them together...but yeah..

As far as the other stuff, i'll let someone more experienced take those questions.

BlueTsunami said:
Although if 1080p was possible with the dual HDMI....I would just take two monitors and put them together...but yeah..
Yeah, exactly. HDMI is compatible with DVI, so if you have two monitors, or a TV and a monitor you are set for multiplayer, separate screen action with only one console.
Most people who have HDTV, probably also have a decent monitor hooked up to a computer somewhere.

Squeak said:
Yeah, exactly. HDMI is compatible with DVI, so if you have two monitors, or a TV and a monitor you are set for multiplayer, separate screen action with only one console.
Most people who have HDTV, probably also have a decent monitor hooked up to a computer somewhere.

Also true. In my case...I have a 27" HDTV and a 19" CRT Monitor that are close to eachother (at least a cables length away from eachother). I would be able to take my PS3 and connect it to both my HDTV (which only has a DVI connection) and my Monitor (which has a VGA connection...but I could probably get an adapter for it).

I also have two Monitors in my house capable of displaying 1980x1080 so that would take care of the 1080p. The problem is this...widescreen....my monitors are 4:3 (aspect ratio)...and if all games will support the high def resolution, then I may run into issues with that...I wonder how the monitors will react...

Use the search function before starting any new thread![/broken record]

About the resolution output of the PS3 games, the answer is simple. There's, for now, no mandated resolution.
But I guess Sony will make HDTV resolutions mandatory (720p, 1080i, 1080p), it will be up to the developer to choose their resolution on a per game basis.

Dual screen output will also be up to the developer (If the feature is kept in the final box, that is).

I'm pretty certain than PS3 spec is using HDMI(type A), which I believe maxes at 1080i, so to get 1080p they'd have to couple both outputs into a single feed (in a similar way to Apples highend monitors). So unless they use the HDMI(type B), or my information is mistaken there will be no dual 1080p.

Single-link has enough bandwidth for 1080P when used with flatpanel displays (reduced blanking), and since I don't think there are any 1080P-capable CRTs...

Anyway, I don't think we'll see any dual 1080P games regardless, unless it's a multiplayer version of Bomberman or some other puzzle-like game. :D

In the next 5 years 1080p become #1 format for HD

Sony PS3 (RSX) 24 Pixels per clock can handel Dual 1080p !!

Nvidia's RSX Fill Rate is 13.2 (billion pixels/sec.)

Yes not all games for the PS3 will be in 1080p using BD-ROM 54 format! At first (first 18 months) most PS3 games will be made in 480p using DVD-ROM 9 format!

All 1080p games & movies run fully backward compatible with your old 1080i HDTV and the same with 480p games & movies run fully backward compatible with your old 480i TV.

But I don't think there will be games that support dual 1080p monitor/TV support soon?

But it seems to me that sony will not support 720p any more! Just the two formats!

480p/i and 1080p/i

In sonys world by the year 2010 there are only two formats 1080p for HDTV, Video Games, Movies, PC Software & Games will adopt Blu-ray technology to meet the high requirements of 1080p HD.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Pressreleases.aspx?id=279

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
pc user used 1.5 megapixel since ninties no problem.

don't understand disbeleif for 2x2 megapixel for tech no developed yet

2x the power of GeForce 6800 Ultra in SLI = RSX

MechanizedDeath said:
Um....

Hmm....

No. PEACE.

Sony said it would be 2x power of Dual GeForce 6800 Ultra's in SLI and thats all so what there using in there PS3 Dev kit right now!

Sony PS3 (RSX) 24 Pixels per clock
Nvidia's RSX Fill Rate is 13.2 (billion pixels/sec.)

And some people still beleve that it looks like this still:

Sony PS3 (RSX) 20 Pixels per clock
Nvidia's RSX Fill Rate is 11.0 (billion pixels/sec.)

Sorry if I offended you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second Gen IP

robofunk said:
Where do they think the bandwidth for 1080p satelite and digital cable channels will come from?

The hardware is all ready there.
Second Gen internet is all ready started for the homes too!

ADSL2 Plus 25mbps
Cable uncaped 10mbps

1080p = 2.1 Megapixel and using MPEG4. And you say they need it bandwith?

you mite be right?

lip2lip said:
pc user used 1.5 megapixel since ninties no problem.

don't understand disbeleif for 2x2 megapixel for tech no developed yet

I my self have bin a PC gamer since 1997 with my Dual VooDoo2 (X-24) SLI video card setup playing games at 1024x768 85Hz.
Now I have two MSI NX6800Ultra-T2D512E in SLI running all my games at 1600x1200 85Hz 4xaa 16x anisotropic.

you see 4:3 monitor will move to 16.9 soon just like TV did.

PC Gamers play games at high res now days.

I use 1600x1200 on my desktop now for 6 years now.

4:3 1600x1200 = 1.8 Megapixel
16:9 1920x1080 = 2.1 Megapixel (1080p)

gawd...

toxictaz: fill rate is far from being the sole determining factor in performance and tells you nothing about the resolution that a console is capable of, just cuz RSX's fill rate is really does not mean that you're going to get 1080p games on the PS3.

Only very limited areas have access to 10Mb cable and/or 25Mb DSL too bud, its very expensive, and its not enough for streaming 1080p anyways...

I also doubt that there is a big market for 16:9 ratio PC monitors I sure as hell don't want one...

Quit reading Sony PR like its gospel!!!

Vysez said:
But I guess Sony will make HDTV resolutions mandatory (720p, 1080i, 1080p), it will be up to the developer to choose their resolution on a per game basis.

I'd guess they are going to need an internal scaler like the 360, so developers can choose to render at any resolution they want to and then output that to whatever is best suited for the particular display.

mesyn191 said:
toxictaz: fill rate is far from being the sole determining factor in performance and tells you nothing about the resolution that a console is capable of, just cuz RSX's fill rate is really does not mean that you're going to get 1080p games on the PS3.

Only very limited areas have access to 10Mb cable and/or 25Mb DSL too bud, its very expensive, and its not enough for streaming 1080p anyways...

I also doubt that there is a big market for 16:9 ratio PC monitors I sure as hell don't want one...

Quit reading Sony PR like its gospel!!!

And again i ask, what do PS3 games @ 1080p have to do with the speed of broadband connection or streaming resources for HD broadcasts?

ToxicTaz:

Given that the memory bandwidth from RSX to VRAM is only about ~22.4 GB/sec, and if we are using only 32 bit color and Z-compression is 4:1 (for an average of around ~40 bits written per pixel) the effective maximum theoretical fill rate of RSX is around ~5.5 Gigapixel/sec.

But this figure itself is also quite meaningless, since we should hope that most pixels on the screen are rendered with non-trivial fragement shaders (which require the fragment to be repeatedly looped back through the shader pipeline, perhaps dozens of times).

Back