Are krispy kreme donuts REALLY crispy?

Guden Oden

Legend
Just sort of curious, really. They're not sold over here, so I have no clue myself. If it is indeed the case, that's stupid. That they're not sold, I mean. Because if they were, I'd buy some. Crispy donuts, I mean.

Best donuts I ever had are Norwegian, sold in a small cart outside a supermarket in Sarpsborg. They are a little bit crispy on the outside when fresh, and very yummy.

I don't know if they are (never tried one) but going from here to this thread was an interesting experience.

I wouldn't say so, no. To me "crispy" implies crackle-y. . .brittle. . .crust. . .something like that. They are, however, REALLY sweet/sugary. Total sugar rush from even a small bite.

geo said:
They are, however, REALLY sweet/sugary. Total sugar rush from even a small bite.
I wonder what this "sugar rush" is. I hear about it now and then, but I've never felt anything special from eating sugar.

OTOH, my metabolism might be a bit strange. As long as I'm not doing any heavy exercise, I won't feel anything special about skipping food for a couple of days. It's not uncommon that I realize at Sunday evening that I've forgot to eat anything since Friday lunch.

They are a little crispy when they're right out of the fryer, but they soften up quickly.

I dunno about right out of the fryer fresh, but in general, they seem to be much more gooey and sweet than anything else.

I can't eat more than a few without feeling kinda sick...

I checked the ingrediant on one, and afaik by mass it's 1/3 sugar and 1/4 fat. While I know pastries can be made quite crispy with lard, I don't thing even then you use that much! That's probably why they are mush.

Thankfully though, Tim Hortens in moving into the USA from Canada, and Americans can taste some real doughnuts, lol. Funny thing, in order to serve the American "tastes", Tim Hortens had to turn their large coffee in Canada into a medium there, the medium into a small, and the small dissapeared, pushed out by the obesity of the American size large. However, while they are upsizing the drinks, they downsized the doughnuts into the so-called, "donut". Those southeners are a very odd bunch, but at least Tim Hortens (a famous Canadian NHLer btw) is making a killing! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can vouce for how sugary they are.
I can barely tolerace them.
I'm really one for sweets.
I'd rather have a nice breakfast with eggs and bacon :smile:

DudeMiester said:
I checked the ingrediant on one, and afaik by mass it's 1/3 sugar and 1/4 fat.
YIKES!

"Sugar rush" btw is a total myth. There's really no such thing (other than as a form of placebo effect, having been raised to believe in shit like that ;)).

When I was in the US in '88, I was introduced to "dunkin' donuts", whose company logo looked very tacky to me even then by '80s standards. I never tried any of their stuff, as I seem to recall, they packaged each donut individually in plastic clamshell containers which looked very weird and vaguely off-putting to me. Didn't they end up in financial difficulties later, like a couple years ago? I think chris tom wrote something about it on the amdzone front page, likely while spewing more bile over Michael Dell, whom he always referred to as 'krispy kreme' or some variation thereof. Guess he still obsessed about getting fired from there. ;)

That guy was seriously weird. Tom, I mean, not Dell. :LOL:

Humus said:
I don't know if they are (never tried one) but going from here to this thread was an interesting experience.
Better yet is the news post that goes along with that comic :)

P.S. You have to scroll down a bit to get the joke, after reading the comic, of course!

Guden Oden said:
"Sugar rush" btw is a total myth. There's really no such thing (other than as a form of placebo effect, having been raised to believe in shit like that ;)).
That's not true at all. Eating lots of sugar (in the form of whatever) can dramatically elevate the blood sugar levels in some people (especially hypoglycemics), resulting in greatly increased energy for a short period of time.

Guden Oden said:
Just sort of curious, really. They're not sold over here, so I have no clue myself. If it is indeed the case, that's stupid. That they're not sold, I mean. Because if they were, I'd buy some. Crispy donuts, I mean.

Best donuts I ever had are Norwegian, sold in a small cart outside a supermarket in Sarpsborg. They are a little bit crispy on the outside when fresh, and very yummy.

i live where the were discovered. winston-salem NC. the stock is tanking.

they are not cake doughnuts like dunkin donuts. they are airy (yeast?) like a dinner roll. glazed suger coating is kinda crumbly...not krispy though.

Guden Oden said:
...Alright then, barring the odd metabolical defect/mutation/whatever, sugar rushes are a total myth.

Hypoglycemia is hardly an odd defect, especially among Americans and our love of overly processed foods.

Kirpsy Kreme donuts are sloppy shitte. After eating 11 in an hour that was the exact effect on me. I left one on my desk for 3 months and it looked pretty much the same as the 1st day. Hail to the perservative.

Back