Are consoles holding back Pc games? *spawn

@Shifty Geezer
maps having to be split up into smaller sections because the consoles were ram limited
lower detail textures again lack of memory, simplified gameplay elements because the console was limited to about 10 buttons
simplified u.i for the same reason
ect.
Consoles didn't make that happen. The devs could have released the game as PC exclusive. Why didn't they choose to make the game PC exclusive?

Last edited:
Clearly not 1070 level, not even close, X is having a faster GPU then Pro though, which in turn is not on the same level as a 1060. Pro is more like RX470.

Depends on the game and whether the engine runs faster on AMD or Nvidia hardware.The Xbox One X GPU could be on GTX 1070 level in Wolfenstein.

If he chooses to launch on consoles, it'll be less of a game. However, no-one's forcing him too. So here we have a PC exclusive despite the consoles existing - in what way have the consoles held the PC back? Anyone wanting to make a $200 million Crysis-like quintuple-A quality PC title that requires a 1070 minimum to run is free to do so. The consoles aren't stopping them. So why don't they? Economics.

I usually agree with big games. However, smaller titles can be more adapted to the PC in terms of menu navigation, graphics etc. In general, almost all major games would appear automatically on all platforms today. Porting a game is not such a huge effort as it was a few years ago.

The number spending $500+ on a cutting edge graphics card wouldn't be expected to rise much, so the top-end would still be very niche. The complaint would move to "integrated graphics and mid-tier PC gamers are holding PC back."

Then we dont know how the market would look like if pc gaming market was like 10 times bigger then it is now, a 1070 is about mid range if even that compared to a 1080Ti and even Titan V? 1050Ti and 1060 would be close to low-end. Bad time to compare too as prices are extremely high just now. Would mind either if games were taking full advantage of 1060 and up, would still be a leap compared to what its now, Pro and X wont be taken full advantage of either as games must be run on base models too.

Depends on the game and whether the engine runs faster on AMD or Nvidia hardware.The Xbox One X GPU could be on GTX 1070 level in Wolfenstein.

Thats why i said its better to compare to AMD gpu's, and then the X is close to a RX580, if not the RX570. In some games amds performance better others Nvidia but overall a 1060 6gb has higher performance then a 580.

I wonder what's going to become of the current high GPU pricing. I doubt the coin mining stuff is going away at this point. PC gaming with top performance could be rather doomed because of it. It's just way too expensive now. And the AMD+Nvidia machine has been gradually pushing prices higher as well.

I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what happens with Volta card releases.

Last edited:
Sorry but they did, they cut up the maps because the xbox couldnt store the whole map in memory.
Deus Ex Invisible War was a development disaster. Their technical problems surely necessitated small maps for PCs of the time too.

Last edited:
Your not trying to make the argument "console's dont hold back p.c exclusive games" are you ?
I'm saying exactly that. Absolutely any game that is cross platform and so not maxxing high-end PCs could have been made a PC exclusive. If the devs wanted to make a game that maxxed the PC, they could. The reason they don't is economic. The same would be true without consoles - devs would have to choose to target the low end for more potential sales, or the high-end and a much reduced market size. If they want to cater for both, they need a game that scales up (so still held back versus a purely high-end targeting game), which they can do on consoles too anyway, scaling up the game.

What people see on PCs is exactly what the business people feel is the best investment. There are no technical limits imposed by the consoles.

I wonder what's going to become of the current high GPU pricing. I doubt the coin mining stuff is going away at this point. PC gaming with top performance could be rather doomed because of it. It's just way too expensive now. And the AMD+Nvidia machine has been gradually pushing prices higher as well.

I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what happens with Volta card releases.

Top end, but hardware is advancing very fast atm, Core extreme i9 and Titan V would be the top, not many games that need that, and far away you need that to beat console performance. Gaming with top end was allready 'doomed' after Crysis 2007, nothing really pushed hardware like that after it.

GTA3 & Vice City are pretty big.

Morrowind would be better example :p

Your not trying to make the argument "console's dont hold back p.c exclusive games" are you ?

Offcourse they hold pc gaming back, had they more powerfull hardware the multiplatform games would have been able to use higher end hardware better etc.

Top end, but hardware is advancing very fast atm, Core extreme i9 and Titan V would be the top, not many games that need that, and far away you need that to beat console performance. Gaming with top end was allready 'doomed' after Crysis 2007, nothing really pushed hardware like that after it.
I thought it was actually advancing slower than ever. Process problems, diminishing returns, die sizes, power limits, multithreading realities, etc.

Offcourse they hold pc gaming back, had they more powerfull hardware the multiplatform games would have been able to use higher end hardware better etc.
There's nothing stopping devs creating better assets etc. for PC. Except economics. ;)

Top end, but hardware is advancing very fast atm, Core extreme i9
Bay I dont know if you've actually been looking at CPU benchmarks etc have nearly ground to a halt. Certainly not like it was one or 2 decades ago, eg Intel recently said they were gonna release another processor generation at 14nm

I thought it was actually advancing slower than ever. Process problems, diminishing returns, die sizes, power limits, multithreading realities, etc.

Yeah was wording it wrong :) i mean its quit a difference between a 1070, a very fast chip, and a 1080Ti and a even much bigger difference to a Titan V. Totally true with the diminishing returns etc, tech was moving faster in the 90's and early 2000's both for consoles and pc.

There's nothing stopping devs creating better assets etc. for PC. Except economics. ;)

True everything has to do with economics, was thinking that if the consoles where much more powerfull/shorter generations, devs wouldve been kind of forced to create more demanding games. Then we have it like the late 90's and early 2000's where you needed quit much a top-end gpu to run most console games at max or even something near that. Dont know how prices do compare to today but a Geforce 3/TI500, Geforce4 were anything but cheap, often costing as much or more then a console at the time.

Maybe its just I haven't really been playing too much of cutting edge/character based PC games recently but I feel like consoles are significantly less of an issue for PC games than in the Xbox360/previous era when just about everything had crappy low-res textures, low poly counts & stupid menus designed for console controllers.

For me at least I don't have that huge urge for the 'next level' graphics like back in the days waiting for Crysis to come out/for hardware to be good enough to actually run it with decent settings.
Graphics seem to have hit a 'good enough' plateau imo & its a long way to the other side of the uncanny valley.

Yes pc gaming is in a much healthier state then before, theres many articles about that. Theres supposed to be more pc gamers out there then console gamers, perhaps their counting in simple/web based games but its gaming, even if its the sims type of games its gaming, bet theres many games like that on console too.

No PC exclusive is being visually retarded by consoles, so if there are no epic, Crysis-like, quintuple A graphical showcases blowing consoles away, consoles clearly can't be blamed.
Yeah if one compares the PC exclusive games vs the console exclusive games, on average PC games are vastly technologically inferior (yes budget is a part, but a larger part are the 'better tech pros' tend to be in the console space), If PC games want to improve their tech game then they should also release a console port .
In conclusion based on the empirical evidence what is holding back PC games is 'PC games are being held back by not being also released on a console' :love:

(note: using exclusive as in only available on that device)

I think it’s best described as, consoles have a way to move the baseline forward on PC. But they do not limit the upper end.

Back