Architecture and Products - read-only: temporary or permanent?

CarstenS

Legend
Supporter
See above.

Is the restriction to read-only for architecture and products forum a temporary one until the mods have cleaned shop and conjured up a procedure to deal with thread-derailings, ad hominem and whatnot or will the section be closed off permanently?

I can see why it was necessary, so I'm not debating the decision per se, but I'm curious how it'll be handled going forward.

Its better off closed as things tend to always derail into pc vs console crap in that section. I didnt actively take part there anymore but reporting the bad stuff which caught the mod teams attention probably.

For example this console vs pc crap was the last post and the last drip towards the closure

Unfortunately this kind of stuff is still going on in the Gaming section, though at a lower scale.
Even things like ’your hurt feeling’ fly without incident there.

The "Architecture" and "Product" forums should never have been merged in my opinion...

It would be insane to stop all the kinds of discussions going on in that forum given the history of Beyond3D, but something obviously does have to change. Hopefully someone is actively thinking about this (it's bene years since I've done anything but lurking!)

Check this out

Hardcore platform warring
I don't see a problem, the topic is regulating itself, like a lot of others. Closing a section for that kind of stuff and reporting everything is non sense imo.

More generally, let the people argue, even be non-civil to a point, most of the time things will clear up by themselves.

Maybe I'll get ban but the read only stuff, and the message associated with it is so... It's like brit is throwing a tantrum. Yeah some people are just trouble makers, but others are just thin skinned, and then create trouble on their own with signaling every little stuff. I'm not the most active here, but I'm often more pissed at people shouting "DON'T TALK ABOUT X OR Y HERE" than people talking about it.... Everybody need to relax, and to accept some turbulences from time to time, it's needed. Peace everyone, and happy new year 💕

I don't know the state of the closure. I haven't been actively moderating as I have no idea what to do to solve the issues and I've family stuff happening so attention elsewhere.
Best of luck with the family stuff, hope it all works out. Glad you got your priorities straight, I'll try and behave until you can keep me in check full time again. ;)

i think people reported each other for almost every post in that 4070 ti thread, but i dont know for sure
That's pretty close to the reality of every day in that section focusing on GPUs.

It has been discussed for months, a long time before Rys made the post in the subscriber forum on November 5, 2022 about stopping subscriptions and turning the entire forums to read-only or possibly just the troubled sections.

Relevant snippet portion of that post:
We're planning some changes to how the forums are run and how people contribute, in order to (hopefully!) significantly improve the quality of discussion and materially boost the signal-to-noise ratio. If you're a currently active reader or poster then you'll have noticed that the quality of discussion is frankly piss poor, especially in the core Graphics area, and especially in Architecture and Product discussions. We want to do something about that.

As part of that we're thinking of making a subset (and maybe even all) of the forums read-only for a while, and while your contribution has never given you special posting rights or access, for those of you with active subs we aren't comfortable taking your money while part or all of the forums might not be available to post in.

By all means go for it (read-only). Mod teams can post intresting articles and share DF videos etc. It will be more interesting to follow than the current health of discussions.

I don't see a problem, the topic is regulating itself, like a lot of others. Closing a section for that kind of stuff and reporting everything is non sense imo.

More generally, let the people argue, even be non-civil to a point, most of the time things will clear up by themselves.

Maybe I'll get ban but the read only stuff, and the message associated with it is so... It's like brit is throwing a tantrum. Yeah some people are just trouble makers, but others are just thin skinned, and then create trouble on their own with signaling every little stuff. I'm not the most active here, but I'm often more pissed at people shouting "DON'T TALK ABOUT X OR Y HERE" than people talking about it.... Everybody need to relax, and to accept some turbulences from time to time, it's needed. Peace everyone, and happy new year 💕

Its that these things mostly derail things, set the wrong mood etc. For example that post regarding ’console is better than pc’ it doesnt really contribute anything to the discussion to begin with.

The discussions are fine until the usual Nvidia zealots threadcrap any discussion regarding AMD into oblivion.

Some back and forth and disagreement is fine. But nothing positive or constructive can come from a discussion with someone who so firmly thinks that, say, Nvidia "invented PC gaming".

The discussions are fine until the usual Nvidia zealots threadcrap any discussion regarding AMD into oblivion.

Some back and forth and disagreement is fine. But nothing positive or constructive can come from a discussion with someone who so firmly thinks that, say, Nvidia "invented PC gaming".

Then don't engage with people you consider that way.

No need for the moderation to lock an entire section.

i think people reported each other for almost every post in that 4070 ti thread, but i dont know for sure
It generated 6 alerts in under an hour, I think. I looked at it and couldn't being to work out what needs doing. I don't think XenoForo has a 'grow up' module available so we're left with the same behaviour that's been present for TWENTY YEARS where people can't learn to act differently and regulate themselves. Human firmware badly in need of an update.

What about console peasants appearing in a AMD or NV/Intel gpu topic, and shitting all over anything thats PC gaming related?

Nvidia "invented PC gaming".

I agree on that NV didnt invent pc gaming. They helped it grow perhaps (just as AMD has done) but not invent.

Can we please not refer to people as "peasants"?
Also, those console fans don't threadcrap in the RDNA2-3/Ampere/Ada architecture threads. So who cares?

Well, Nvidia zealots isnt any better right? I agree on the peasants but it was a reaction to the NV zealots threadcrapping comment. Both shouldnt be appropiate in the general forums.
And yeah, theres absolutely console users 'discussing' why consoles are better than PC's in a 4070Ti technical discussion topic. It was the last post made there and probably the last drip in the bucket for the closure.

Anyway, its better with read only perhaps for most of the forum. Let the mods and certain users be able to post and the rest be able to react on them with emoij's. Il be read-only too, its not that im trying to say.

And yeah, theres absolutely console users 'discussing' why consoles are better than PC's in a 4070Ti technical discussion topic.

No, there wasn't.

It was the last post made there and probably the last drip in the bucket for the closure.

No, I am fairly sure it wasn't.
It was a user who was very reasonably making the point that sky high prices on GPUs pushes more PC gamers towards consoles. He/she even started off their post by saying that they gifted their family a GeFore 3060 for Christmas:

So I have no idea how or why you interpreted their post so negatively -- and that's part of the problem with any thread in that forum. Any critique of Nvidia or its products (or praise of AMD) causes a hive-mind response from the zealots there -- like something from a nature documentary when an animal tries to attack a bee colony.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, but I'm gonna say it.
If the admin team closes a forum for bad posting it's a group penalty. Admin team has identified the issue: bad posting. Apply individual penalties of increasing seriousness to bad posters: 1 week posting holidays, 1 month posting holidays, 3 months, ban.
Don't get rule-lawyered: "I recognize bad posting when I see it."
Consider life-time posting "awards" for posters you can't stand anymore.
Bad posting is a crime, you're the cure.

Of course not! The proper term is "nVidiots", everyone knows that. :p

(Pretty sure "AMD fanboy" is the most frequently used term for team red enthusiasts)

Personally dont care about 'peasants', 'isheeps', 'xbots', 'PCMR', nvidia zealots and amd fans lol, however its not really.... its going to make someone angry if you do this in the general forums.

No, there wasn't.

Theres litterally users in there that dont even game on PC.

No, I am fairly sure it wasn't.
It was a user who was very reasonably making the point that sky high prices on GPUs pushes more PC gamers towards consoles.

That should be backed up by data, there is zero evidence that PC gamers are moving towards consoles at this time. Its not reasonable to make a statement like that, its not that simple. I personally see no reason as to why pc gamers would suddenly swap to consoles because high end stuff is being expensive? It always has been and will always be.
Say a PC gamer looking to play their games on console instead, they are getting a 2019 mid end CPU, a 2020 low/mid GPU thats ballpark 3060/RX6600XT level. They could just gone with the hardware that is the most popular on PC, the XX60 products. I think some are blinded by the high performance products that are HUGELY more performant than the consoles. Something like a 4070Ti is in a totally different universe regarding performance and features.

Its no rocket science that the most popular gpus always remain the baseline 1060, 2060, 3060/Ti, later 4060 etc. A PC gamer would opt for a 3060Ti or 6700XT perhaps, why would he/she go for a console thats even less capable and isnt even, well, a PC to begin with? Most PC gamers dont care about 'being 2x the console performance', its not what the platform is about.

the zealots

You obviously have a high need for that kind of behaviour. It doesnt matter, everyone can see it.

Back