Apple ships Intel PCs

Normal application based benchmarks will have to wait, since many major applications still have no Intel based binary. Xbench has an universal binary, but it's synthetic benchmark and not really optimized on Intel platform yet.

Mordenkainen said:
Jobs had mentioned that they were really ahead of schedule and would move up the transition 6 months or so. I guess he wasn't kidding.

EDIT: this needs independent confirmation of course but http://www.apple.com/universal/ mentions D3 on an intel based mac runs at least 2.2x faster than a powerpc powered one.

Wouldn't that be more due to the video card? Unless D3 is properly multithreaded, I doubt it could run 2.2x faster soley due to the cpu.

So do Mac users have to get a vaccine before buying one? Also, has the "reality distortion field" been expanded or modified in anyway?

Do MS users who get Vista have to get a vaccine to believe it's as good as OS X Tiger? :)

MS's builtin apps suck majorly compared to iLife, and Vista is pledging to ship features that Mac users have enjoyed for a long time now.

DemoCoder said:
Do MS users who get Vista have to get a vaccine to believe it's as good as OS X Tiger? :)

MS's builtin apps suck majorly compared to iLife, and Vista is pledging to ship features that Mac users have enjoyed for a long time now.
Tiger is a piece of trash under it's shiny hood for servers.

Mac OS X is not a good OS for server usage, that's certainly true. But it's not what it's originally intended for. After some studying on Mac OS X, I found that I quite like its GUI framework (which is based on OpenStep, or one could say MacOS X is OpenStep).

Well they do sell servers... so you might expect them to improve performance for their server OS.

I completely admit that OSX in many ways to far superior to XP (aka win2k+ some tweaks) and vista.. but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.
microsoft are just a bunch of slackers.. that's the problem.

radeonic2 said:
Tiger is a piece of trash under it's shiny hood for servers.

Do the G5s perform any better under Linux? With the low memory performance (extremely high latency, even compared to Pentium 4) of the platform, combined with a dated design (the Power4 core was probably intended for a different market than what the G5 is being pushed for) could be the reason for the low performance.

Fox5 said:
Wouldn't that be more due to the video card? Unless D3 is properly multithreaded, I doubt it could run 2.2x faster soley due to the cpu.
Apple loves to exadurate and conveniently leave out other aspects contributing to that increase.

Fox5 said:
Do the G5s perform any better under Linux? With the low memory performance (extremely high latency, even compared to Pentium 4) of the platform, combined with a dated design (the Power4 core was probably intended for a different market than what the G5 is being pushed for) could be the reason for the low performance.
You tell me http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520&p=5
SQL performance is laughable :LOL:
Read more than that to get the whole story...

radeonic2 said:
Under Mac OS X, yes. It's fairly good under Linux.

The way performance tanks with increased concurrency is mindboggling, does OSX do a complete cache flush on every context switch?

Suffice to say that even though the hardware is inferior the main culprit is OSX, which is weird since OSX is BSD derived and MySQL flies like shit off a silver shovel under BSD (on x86)

Cheers
Gubbi

Last edited by a moderator:
Gubbi said:
Under Mac OS X, yes. It's fairly good under Linux.

The way performance tanks with increased concurrency is mindboggling, does OSX do a complete cache flush on every context switch?

Suffice to say that even though the hardware is inferior the main culprit is OSX, which is weird since OSX is BSD derived and MySQL flies like shit off a silver shovel under BSD (on x86)

Cheers
Gubbi
Since I was slamming OSX and implying it performs better under linux what is the point of telling me it's good under linux ;)

Fox5 said:

Oh definitely, but as you no doubt know, Macs are very different from PCs. Since the price of these new intel macs are the same of their equivalent powerpc ones you can directly compare their benchmarks and ignore whatever components each one has. You're basically just answering "should I get a powerpc mac or an intel mac" and not the usual "my card is better than your card" as we have in the PC world.

It's similar to comparing a $400 card from ATI and nVidia. What matters is their retail price not who made which discrete component and/or memory chip in the card.

sir doris said:
Maybe I'm stupid... but wont all the mac users have to buy new software when they upgrade to Intel based machines?

For the most part no. Every mac comes with the most recent version of the OS and most current powerpc applications will run under Rosetta (emulation-thingie) until there are universal binaries for them. From what I read Rosetta is quite capable and fast; I've only seen mention of Photoshop as being noticeably slower when emulated.

Back