Apple is an existential threat to the PC

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by MfA, Apr 3, 2018.

1. iMacmatician

Regular

9to5mac reports on an Apple project codenamed "Star" (possibly a reference to the Xerox Star) which may be related to an ARM Mac transition.
    Many of those features are currently not associated with the Mac, for example, the water resistance isn't even on the iPad. I'm also curious as to what the "derivative of iOS" is going to be like.

Update: Most likely not true, see my post below.

#81 iMacmatician, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Entropy

Veteran

Sim-card slot suggests it is not a desktop project. ”Derivative of iOS” suggests touch interface is at least supported (if mandatory it would pretty much be an iPad) and it may or may not suggest something about file handling. The image in my head becomes something between an iPad with its keyboard attachment and a Surface.
    It’s not a Mac if it doesn’t run MacOS apps though. And mouse/keyboard input would have to be fully supported.

3. iMacmatician

Regular

According to Mark Gurman,
    So false alarm folks, nothing to see here.

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Apple is killing OpenCL and OpenGL in macOS:

https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/

So how does this work? When macos takes OpenGL from the OS altogether, what will it happen to the games that require it to run?
    Isn't this even going to bring them some legal trouble?

5. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

It's deprecated, not removed (yet). Generally it takes about three or four major releases for a deprecated API to be removed completely, sometimes even longer.

DSoup likes this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I know it's not removed yet. My question refers to when it is removed.

7. Entropy

Veteran

Of course there is no legal problem with deprecating system software components. They never had a guaranteed lifetime to begin with, and nobody forces a user to upgrade the OS to a version that is incompatible with a particular app. Example: my elderly mother still uses my 17” lamp iMac from 15 years ago. Still chugs along happily and looks as good as it ever did. Runs an old version of OSX, which will allow her to run OpenGL apps for as long as she desires.

8. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I bet it'll just be what they do on newer iOS devices already, emulate it with metal.

9. Entropy

Veteran

Regarding the depecating of OpenGL and OpenCL, as far as gaming is concerned, this post by marksatt is informative.

DSoup likes this.