Any Other Musicians or Artists Here?

MuFu: I've always wanted to play drums, but I've never lived in a place were I could do so without annoying the neighbours :) I'm impressed if you can play jazz drums as, technically, that can be very tough.

Scali: If you can play covers of those rock/metal bands you must be a decent guitarist! Certainly better than me, anyway. I'm OK at rhythmn guitar but am useless at lead stuff.

Sage: Cool art! I love messing around with 3D modelling or photoshop.

The549: Playing in a band with your mates in a garage is great fun, especially when you are jamming and it all clicks. Keep it up!

cloudscapes: You like a lot of the music I like - Aphex Twin, Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Boards of Canada etc. I'm quite into Squarepusher at the moment, just love his drums (rather like the ones on your 'Bipolarism' ;) ). Checked out a few of your tracks and really liked them - 'Bloody Fingers' was great with the eastern/drone influence and the evolving soundtrack.

_xxx_: I've heard a lot of people rave about Logic, but never tried it. Personally I think the best sequencer is the one you know best :)

T2k: Find the time man!

radeonic2: Nothing wrong with being an amature guitarist :) You can do drums in Acid if you find the right loops. If you wanna do MIDI then any basic MIDI sequencer will allow you to programme drums.

muted: I don't think it matters what you play to practice, so long as you are playing. I think, from a quitarist's point of view, it's good to have a diverse range of styles. Remember, being a good guitarist is not just about technique but feeling and what you play. A lot of metal guitarists are too much technique and speed and no emotion.

Diplo said:
MuFu: I've always wanted to play drums, but I've never lived in a place were I could do so without annoying the neighbours :) I'm impressed if you can play jazz drums as, technically, that can be very tough.

Scali: If you can play covers of those rock/metal bands you must be a decent guitarist! Certainly better than me, anyway. I'm OK at rhythmn guitar but am useless at lead stuff.

Sage: Cool art! I love messing around with 3D modelling or photoshop.

The549: Playing in a band with your mates in a garage is great fun, especially when you are jamming and it all clicks. Keep it up!

cloudscapes: You like a lot of the music I like - Aphex Twin, Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Boards of Canada etc. I'm quite into Squarepusher at the moment, just love his drums (rather like the ones on your 'Bipolarism' ;) ). Checked out a few of your tracks and really liked them - 'Bloody Fingers' was great with the eastern/drone influence and the evolving soundtrack.

_xxx_: I've heard a lot of people rave about Logic, but never tried it. Personally I think the best sequencer is the one you know best :)

T2k: Find the time man!

radeonic2: Nothing wrong with being an amature guitarist :) You can do drums in Acid if you find the right loops. If you wanna do MIDI then any basic MIDI sequencer will allow you to programme drums.

muted: I don't think it matters what you play to practice, so long as you are playing. I think, from a quitarist's point of view, it's good to have a diverse range of styles. Remember, being a good guitarist is not just about technique but feeling and what you play. A lot of metal guitarists are too much technique and speed and no emotion.
Wow reply to everyone in one reply.. talk about effciency!
I "aquired" drumkit from hell, now I have to play around with it, get some new saddles for my guitar, some strings, then I can rawk out.
There is something wrong with being an amature guitarist when you've been playing since you were in 4th grade.
I just never took it seriously untill I got my most recent guitar, and now I'm finding I cant play all the uber songs I want to.

I've played guitar on and off for 10 years or so. Sometimes I play alot for a couple months, then get bored and don't play for a year, pick it up again and so on heh. But I've kinda reached the point now where I can play most of the stuff I want to, it's more a matter of actually bothering to learn new stuff (and to find spare time).

And anyone who needs pop/rock drums should really look into drumkit from hell, because it rules. Although I haven't had the chance to try DFH Superior yet (I mean 35 gigs of HQ sampled drums? By god), the original should still be good enough for most people I think. Too bad I can't make drum tracks worth a damn o_O

yeah i was tempted to look into DFH superior , but i can't track drums with my mouse, i can do it with a drum, hold a steady beat and all and i can't afford a pad right now. Speaking of drum programming Agoraphobic Nosebleed has great programmed drums (if you like fast grind of course)

i'm just playing metal right now because it builds up speed and technique ... i don'T want to be held back by my lack of speed .. i don't listen to malmsteen at all ( You've unleashed the fucking fury )

not really into guitar heroes .. the ones on G3 anyway ...

buckethead comes close to being a guitar hero , but he has some really different albums and he's fast too , of course fast means nothing , look at that marcus paus guy ... just bad

maybe i'll take a lesson from a blues guitarist ... I got this lesson cd once, video and all, was filled with generic blues crap ... i don't know why they called it blues it had absolutely no feeling , it was just the most horrible thing i ever heard and these guys were 'big' in the scene , apparently.

i know that equipment doesn'T make much a difference .. i got an Engl 520 preamp which has great lead, rhythm and clean ( with gain , really love the sound ) but i'm still running it through a kustom solid state combo .. even this sounds better than the last poweramp i had ..

muted said:
but i'm playing on a cheap les paul , changed the pickups and all but playing fast is much easier on my friend's ibanez ( although i would never buy an ibanez )

Funny really, I own both a Les Paul (Epiphone) and an Ibanez RG, and I'd pick the Les Paul if it comes to pure speed. Since it plays so lightly (mostly because of the shorter scale, and wide, flat fretwork), I put .010 guage strings on the Les Paul, and use it as a 'training' guitar. If I put .009 on it like on the RG, it plays so light and fast, it's a joke :)
This way my Les Paul has insane tone and sustain, great for the more emotional solos, and at the same time, it builds strength, and this makes me play better on the RG.
(I am a bit of a shredhead anyway).

radeonic2 said:
John Petrucci is my hero, normally speed doesn't impress me, but he's insane!

I don't like John Petrucci personally. Sure he can play fast, but so can a lot of guitarists if they put in the practice. I find he doesn't make any musical statements.
There are a few other guitarists who can play at least as fast, but sound much better musically in my opinion.
Examples would be Michael Angelo Batio (you can get movies and soundclips on his site at http://www.angelo.com/html/mp3___video.html), the late Shawn Lane, or Marcel Coenen (you can get movies and soundclips on his site at http://www.marcelcoenen.com).
You might want to check them out and see if you like them.

Scali said:
radeonic2 said:
John Petrucci is my hero, normally speed doesn't impress me, but he's insane!

I don't like John Petrucci personally. Sure he can play fast, but so can a lot of guitarists if they put in the practice. I find he doesn't make any musical statements.
There are a few other guitarists who can play at least as fast, but sound much better musically in my opinion.
Examples would be Michael Angelo Batio (you can get movies and soundclips on his site at http://www.angelo.com/html/mp3___video.html), the late Shawn Lane, or Marcel Coenen (you can get movies and soundclips on his site at http://www.marcelcoenen.com).
You might want to check them out and see if you like them.
Well I'm all about metal, and with dream theaters last few releases, I like them alot, rock is blah etc, I mainly prefer death metal and black metal, but I like some progressive like DT obviously, and tool, but mainly about metal now.
So in a guitarist, I look for metalish things they do, and John gas some interesting things.
Now adays in metal the thing to do is nu metal, down tune your guitar and do palm muted open riffs.. John does tune to C or something, but still pleanty technicle.

Oh yeah we also covered some Led Zeppelin for an event a while back. That was fun. To me, lots of their music shows the mark of true talent.....not necessarily complicated. But occasionally you'll get to just one little measure out of the whole song, and you notice how even though it's the same length of time as the others, it's four times longer on the page than any of the others and you're just like :oops: , they PLAY that?

I’m a musician and a lyricist (poet? Sounds kinda lame). I play in a folk rock/classic rock band. I play the guitars and sing. My influences are such of Neil Young, the Beatles, Cream, Jefferson airplane, the yardbirds and black Sabbath. I’m also found of nirvana and Kurt Cobains writings as it had a very distinct classic rock influence just like my music.

For now we are playing small gigs and don’t have any records. Although there are some demos on tape. Most of our peers (other bands) in New York tend to play the retro/post grunge emo rock, we try to strive away from that (I don’t like it).

My passion for good rock music has been growing for the past 3 years and I’m simply not satisfied with anything that MTV puts out. Its all commercial glam rock that’s obviously marketed to make money instead of meaningful music, but that’s just my opinion.

I've been singing since I was a wee little boy. Now I'm the head of my a cappella group at school. Never got the chance to start getting into instruments, so I'm surprised I got this far, but our director likes my voice...so that's a bonus.

But when you have 12 guys all matching pitch, it sounds freakin' awesome.

logen999 said:
...I’m simply not satisfied with anything that MTV puts out. Its all commercial glam rock that’s obviously marketed to make money instead of meaningful music, but that’s just my opinion.

Playa hata! :rolleyes:

logen999 said:
...My influences are such of Neil Young, the Beatles, Cream, Jefferson airplane, the yardbirds and black Sabbath. I’m also found of nirvana and Kurt Cobains writings as it had a very distinct classic rock influence just like my music.
led.......umm...............zeppelin?

The549 said:
logen999 said:
...I’m simply not satisfied with anything that MTV puts out. Its all commercial glam rock that’s obviously marketed to make money instead of meaningful music, but that’s just my opinion.

Playa hata! :rolleyes:

logen999 said:
...My influences are such of Neil Young, the Beatles, Cream, Jefferson airplane, the yardbirds and black Sabbath. I’m also found of nirvana and Kurt Cobains writings as it had a very distinct classic rock influence just like my music.
led.......umm...............zeppelin?

no, not so much led zeppelin :p but i do like some of their songs. :)

sinnger guitar player here sinnger since i was like 5 guitar since iwas like 10 tho ive had to slow down alot with guitar do to an injury to my arm.

right now im trying to get a degree in music recording technology if i cant be a fulltime musician i want to be involved with making music

Diplo said:

Thanks for the listen. :) Not everyone is open to the 'weird' nature of my songs. I should upload the newer versions of these tracks eventually. The sound much better and a few of them have even changed, structure-wise.

I've been in a creative block for about six months, not one song during that time. Yet I have so many new ideas. I think I'm stuck because I just don't know what direction I want to take anymore.

hey it takes a real man to be a lyricist (note im a real man) :p if ure a singer u damn well better be a writer if u want respect from hte industry

I played drums from middle school through sophmore year of high school. I would really like to play again, it's too expensive though. I enjoy percussion even more now taht rap/hip-hop has come into its own.

Back