Any Other Musicians or Artists Here?

Diplo

Veteran
By day I might be a boring old web developer but at night I often in indulge in my favourite pastime - making music. In fact, my original excuse for buying a PC many years ago was to use it for music (as my trusty old Amiga wasn't quite hacking it). The fact that I could play 'Doom' on it was, erm, incidental. Honest.

Anyway, as I've just finished a new track, I thought I'd share it here and see what people think. I'd also be interested to hear (or see) any creations other members might have made (doesn't have to be music - anything creative will be interesting).

My new track is called Full Of Stars and it's a mixture of rock elements and spaced-out electronica. You can either stream it using the above link to my ZeD website or download it directly or stream it from my website).

Hope you like and I look forward to what others' might post :)

I am. :D I have made a lot of music in my life, and have quite a lot released too. I used to work as a producer/writer, and have been producing albums, soundtracks for movies, commercials, remixes etc. I still do a lot music on my sparetime. Actually I (and my friend) have an album coming out in 2 weeks. It is more "chillout" music, and you can (of course you have to) purchase it online from http://beatport.com. More info from our homepage: http://www.slusnikluna.com

I'll download your track as soon as I have sound. I don't have any sound on the system I am using now.

Nicklas, you are a lucky man to have had such interesting jobs and to have had stuff released (I've had a few tracks on obscure CDs and played in a couple of bands, but that doesn't really count!). I checked out the short clips from Aamukaste 5AM and was very impressed - it's a little more laid back than the stuff I do, but in some ways quite similar (only your stuff is much more pro-sounding, of course!). Shame there are no longer clips, as you need it to appreciate good tracks... Probably the nearest equivalent I've done is a track called SquareBased which is very chilled out drum'n'bass.

I take it you have decent equipment? I generally do everything on my PC using Cubase SX and Reason, plus various VSTi soft-synths. Of course, for me it's only a hobby. Occasionally I pick up my bass and guitars too, but I'm getting lazy :)

I am too. Playing guitar since I was 10 (now I'm 30), also bass and drums and backing vocals. Six years of classical music school which I hated, although it6 gave me the knowledge to begin with. I had many bands since than, produced a couple of demos, but in the end I decided for the job. I still sometmes jam with some of the guys, just for fun.

I dl'd your song, you'll hear from me in the next few days. I have to listen to it a few times if I should be objective :)

I play guitar, and I've just today met up with another guitarist from a band. I am going to study some songs and see if I can join them next week.
It's mostly 70s/80s/90s rock covers, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Gary Moore, Judas Priest, that kind of stuff.
I've done some instrumental stuff in the past.

I've been playing drums for about ten years (I'm 22), although I had a two year "drought" when I started uni - bit of a shame really. I recently formed a band with some mates and we should be gigging later this month. My background is in jazz but we quite demonstratably fall into the non-existent genre, "funk-emo" or "funkymo". :LOL:

We're using Cubase SX for recording and post. I remember that the first time I started getting into this kind of thing I was using Steinberg Pro 12 on an Atari 1040ST. Quite a lot has changed since then!

Working for a music minor, and am in a band. Don't download our music yet tho. All I have posted is something on soundclick that was me on drums, my friend on guitar, and many hours of garage recording depiration.

I'm currently happily learning how to do a one-handed single stroke roll :rolleyes: ......Now that will be awesome!

I've made some lame attempts at creating music but found that I sucked. I'm ok as a piano player however, but I stick to playing professional composers' material.

I play quite a few instruments, but none of them really well. :) I think I see myself more as a composer or aranger, someone who can take many sounds and put them together, rather than mastering one instrument.

I play a lot of guitar (drones, walls of sound, lead, bow/ebow), some piano/keyboards, and I want to learn the cello. My main instrument is the computer though, where I record all these sounds and merge them together. Often I don't have to record anything and I'll make some glitzy beats and weird sfx from scratch.

You can hear my publicly released noise here:
I am a link, you may click me.
Style is kinda weird ethereal/dark electronic music with post-rock elements. Some influences: Boards of Canada, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Aphex Twin, Kid A/Amnesiac-era Radiohead, Sonic Youth/Fly Pan Am ish guitarscapes... etc. Although the songs on that site are of pretty decent sound/mixing quality, I have since remixed/remastered most of them, and in some cases even extended/heavily modified.

I did a lot of visual art before I started creating music some four/five years ago, but have since stopped during my free time. :(

I prefer Cakewalk for recording, though. It's easier to use and has better sync capabilities, at least with my rig.

Still, nothing beats a Mac with Logic Audio.

Humus said:
I've made some lame attempts at creating music but found that I sucked. I'm ok as a piano player however, but I stick to playing professional composers' material.

Come on dude, I've heard you sing. That's talent, right there. :LOL:

Diplo said:
Nicklas, you are a lucky man to have had such interesting jobs and to have had stuff released (I've had a few tracks on obscure CDs and played in a couple of bands, but that doesn't really count!). I checked out the short clips from Aamukaste 5AM and was very impressed - it's a little more laid back than the stuff I do, but in some ways quite similar (only your stuff is much more pro-sounding, of course!). Shame there are no longer clips, as you need it to appreciate good tracks... Probably the nearest equivalent I've done is a track called SquareBased which is very chilled out drum'n'bass.
Thanks for the kind words! The material on the Chillout Colletion is material from 94-2004. ;) Only a couple of new tracks in there, but they were all re-mastered and re-edited for the album.

We did also release one UK Top 40 chart hit (I hate the word "hit") in 2001. The track is called "SUN", and it is actually on 25+ compilations. But that's history already!

Diplo said:
I take it you have decent equipment? I generally do everything on my PC using Cubase SX and Reason, plus various VSTi soft-synths. Of course, for me it's only a hobby. Occasionally I pick up my bass and guitars too, but I'm getting lazy :)
We have 2 studios; 1 is a "home-studio" with a powerful computer & only 2 keyboards, and then the other one is a more "full-blown" studio with 12+ synthesizers (and of course a powerful computer with soft-synths). We use Emagic (nowdays "Apple" as Apple bought Emagic) Logic in both studios as the sequencer. I am (or was) a synth-freak! I had to have them all and the older the synth was, the better! So I have a small collection of analogue Phat-sound synthesizers. ;) I also produce sound & stuff for 3DMark in that studio too.

Music is the only reason I bought my G5 - but I'm struggling to free up some time since month... :(

amature guitar playing, despite playing since I was inthe 4th grade :oops:
I use acid 4.0 to record, but I wanna find software or something with drum tracks, so I can keep time better.

i try , only been playing guitar for a like ... 1.5 year but have only been practicing for 4 months ..

i didn't have any songs to practice , everything was really boring, so i started practicing buckethead songs, playing binge and grab right now , obviously i'm not playing the solo

so for the time being i just practice my technique and try and learn a new thing a day

so i spend my time listening to eddie hazel ....

i'd say if i could become like a guitar player i like, i'd choose Bill Frisell during the Naked city era .. and a little eddie hazel and why not buckethead too , of course i have to find my own sound

I want to take singing lessons too , i think i have a good range, from b2 which is pretty much at the level i talk and up to c5 ( but it ain't pretty i'm telling you ) i have no control over my voice to sing 'popular' music , probably best suited for classical but i'm too busy right now to take any lessons

i'll have a song maybe monday , me and a friend are covering, diana ross - my world is empty without you , not sure of the style, but something aggressive

and diplo, listened to that Full of stars song, really nice , my god it's full of stars

Practice metal songs, those shouldn't be too boring, and should greatly increase your skills.
Try some black label society, just don't try to do the pinch hormonics untill you practice those alot, main deal here is to get familar with metal playing, and BLS is awesome, his solo's and pinch hormonics are really whats he about, but he has some nice riffage.

i can't stand him .. but the music is decent, sorta like ted nugent, you know , can't stand the man but i like stranglehold a LOT ....

playing some tech death metal from germany, called necrophagist .. metal isn't the only thing i like but it's great to increase speed

http://www.necrophagist.de/necrophagist/stuff/FoulBodyAutopsy.ptb

that's from the band itself, since they live apart and send tabs to practice

friends are not into metal so .. sounds a little 'empty' with only one guitar ..

got a few books, like guitar fitness, cheap book but could easily be condensed to around 5 pages .... so i'm rolling my fingers back and forth , sweeping , left hand vibrato , bends

but i'm playing on a cheap les paul , changed the pickups and all but playing fast is much easier on my friend's ibanez ( although i would never buy an ibanez )

Back