Any ergonomic keyboard suggestions?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm looking for an ergonomic keyboard to try and help me type a bit easier. Anyone have any advice? This is a new one for me. So far all I'm looking for is wired, illuminated, and comfortable. I think I could skip illumination if I had to give up one, thanks in advance.

Depending on how serious you are, the serious end is pretty pricey.

Me I have https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2/
I have an earlier model that I got free handmedown after lusting over for years but I bought the mk2 as backup during lockdown (also importantly for me one of the few hardware switched Dvorak layout keyboards around)

They have a 2-part version now, separate USB-C or Bluetooth versions https://kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards/advantage360/

The thumb thing takes some getting used to & can be pretty hard on thumbs so I wouldn't recommend it unconditionally & actually day to day at home I just use a normal layout with keys reorderd to Dvorak but they're definitely quality mechanical ergonomic keyboards.

Definitely too much monies for me right now, but a beauty of a keyboard. I want to try something relatively cheap to see if it helps/I can adjust to it.

Honestly for me I think the best ergo thing I did was switching to Dvorak, the finger movements are way more pleasant than the way QWERTY makes you move.
Maybe try re-arranging keys on a spare normal keyboard (one with all keys same shape), add the keyboard layout & give it a go?
Its a lot of re-learning but can be done for free. </keyboard veganing>

Honestly for me I think the best ergo thing I did was switching to Dvorak, the finger movements are way more pleasant than the way QWERTY makes you move.
Maybe try re-arranging keys on a spare normal keyboard (one with all keys same shape), add the keyboard layout & give it a go?
Its a lot of re-learning but can be done for free. </keyboard veganing>
Due to some compressed discs in my lumbar and some carpal tunnel thrown in for good measures I can't really feel my fingers much anymore. Just finding keys on the keyboard is hard and I was just trying to figure out if the ergonomic style would give my hands a better "at rest" position to find all the keys easier. Sorry for the personal whining info, but it's why I'm doing it. I can't type very well without looking down to set my hands up first and even then I get too many double key presses or too long of presses. I picked a really crappy time to decide to get an ultra low profile, super sensitive red switched keyboard just before I started losing feeling and it's like trying to drive a Lotus when I keep forgetting the shift patterns.

I'm seeing a bunch of doctors about this so there's still a lot of hope that I can reverse/improve it, but for now I'm trying to wear carpal tunnel braces at night and doing everything I can to improve my posture/hand positions. (Also physical therapy, exercises, and too many neurological consults for me to currentlly think about. <sigh> )

Sorry for the whine, didn't mean it as such. Just trying to explain why I'm looking for a cheapy ergonomic to try. It may not help but it seems worthy of trying.Dvorak I've always meant to learn but that's when I could touch type at over 100wpm without thinking about it. It took me bloody 7 minutes to type this post and it should have been less than one, annoying and I'm trying to figure out how to improve it.

Thanks for the input, but Dvorak probably won't help what ails me right now. Just trying to make it easier to type. Looking for ergo to help with the carpo and also better position fingers, chiclet keys are out of the question as I couldn't even feel them right now. I need keys with tactile feedback but no click or my wife will go bonkers. I don't know if they make what I'm looking for, but I'm gonna try.

The closest I found poking around Amazon and Newegg yesterday were the X9 Performance Ergonomic Keyboard Wired and the MEETION Ergonomic Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. I'm not in love with either of them, but they seem to have the right shapes/keys/wristwrest so I'm definitely considering trying them.

Sorry for the babble, but I felt a deeper explanation might gain better results. Thanks all again for the help and input.

The closest I found poking around Amazon and Newegg yesterday were the X9 Performance Ergonomic Keyboard Wired and the MEETION Ergonomic Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. I'm not in love with either of them, but they seem to have the right shapes/keys/wristwrest so I'm definitely considering trying them.

Used to use keyboards like those ages ago, but they aren't any more or less comfortable/ergonomic to me than just a standard keyboard.

If you are having issues with carpal tunnel, I would highly recommend trying out trackballs. If you can get used to them you can do some things faster or at least as good as with a regular mouse. I have a friend who uses one exclusively due to wrist issues.

Regards,
SB

Got the X9 coming on Thursday and yesterday I got a vertical ergonomic mouse. I hate the fact that it was instantly comfortable and easy to use, could feel the difference straight off. Still haven't figured out what to program all the buttons as, but it's working out a lot better/faster than I thought.

The joystick looks and seems dumb, but it gives me enough programmable buttons to set it up like my Logitech G604 and works pretty well. It's no where near as awkward as I thought it would be. I got it last night around 8pm and using it this morning is feeling almost natural. Just bound the joystick up with my G604 binds and the damned thing is actually useful, me likeys!

EDITED BITS: SB- I've tried trackballs and they just don't feel right to me, this is a good compromise in my case.

EDITED BITS: SB- I've tried trackballs and they just don't feel right to me, this is a good compromise in my case.

As you mention it's a decent compromise. A more natural hand position, but you still have the repetitive motion of mouse movements. But the learning curve should be pretty low compared to a trackball. And if you still have problems, trackballs aren't going anywhere. :)

Regards,
SB

It works amazingly well too! I thought it'd be a gimmick but my hand/brain took right to it and I'm using it constantly. The vertical mouse has really helped relieve the strain/pain in my hand/wrist and it took me almost no time to get over the learning curve and just have it be intuitive. I'm shocked at how good it is, only downside is I really miss hyperscroll...but I keep my G604 nearby for when I need to scroll a lot or fast.

The ergo keyboard? Well that came and it looks/feels good, but I haven't switched to it yet. I took it out of the box to feel my hands on it and couldn't find the homerow with my fingers and freaked a little. It's been lurking in its box behind my monitor making me feel guilty for not sitting down and getting used to it. I'm sure it'll help, but I'm not sure how long it will take to learn it enough to help so I'm procrastinating.

I plan to hook it up in a bit, I cleared my afternoon just to try and get used to the keyboard. The mouse is a 100% recommend, not perfect but so damned good and really fairly priced for what it is.

EDITED BITS: My G604 is an 11 button mouse I think and I use them all. The new one is a 12 and I also use them all and it was easy to switch. The software with the mouse is surprisingly easy and good, just gotta remember to hit the "application" button after changing anything (Pretty sure it's the "apply" button)

Ergonomic split keyboards take a couple of weeks to get used to but I can't go back now after using them for probably 15 years now. We've always used Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboards the entire time. Very comfortable.

This thing can be infuriating! It's like learning to type all over again! One of my kids noticed my frustration and I was delighted to find they'd installed an LED strip under my desk so I could see the keys. :love:

I'm not giving up, just venting. Had some fantastic news on the neuropathy front. Saw a neurosurgeon who really seems to know their stuff and had a PT evaluation today where he not only diagnosed me but tried some light accupuncture to see if it would help.

I never believed in acupuncture, but after only 3 pokes to my shoulder area and my back and on the drive home I reached to find a button on my car AND I FELT IT!!

I started uncontrollably weeping, pretty sure I was happy, but it got better...I could talk like I used to! Clear articulation and back to full babbling speeed! I cried happy a bit more, then when my wife heard me babbling she started happy crying and we both hugged and spent the afternoon in the pool with the dogs.

I feel like I got another chance at life again. I hate not being able to talk clearly and thought a big part of me was gone, now I find out there's a really good chance to improve it quite a bit. Been an interesting and bloody overwhelmingly couple of good days. :D

I did manage to get comfortable typing on an ergonomic keyboard, but it's too tall to type on comfortably on my keyboard tray which slides under my desk. Kept bumping my knuckles on the under side of the desk or pulling the tray way out where the dogs can tear it off easily. (130lb german shepard/wolf mix jumping up on them tends to make 'em come down easy.)

I gave my K70 RGB MK.2 low profile to one of my kids and they don't want to give it back, but that's ok as it was too sensitive for my fingers with its low profile red switches. I need some form of tactile feedback now, low profile, wired, and illuminated. I've narrowed it down to two choices but I am fully open to any suggestions that are around $50us or less.

First is the Razer Cynosa V2. It's a low-profile membrane keyboard, but it's quiet and my fingers like membrane keyboards now. I'm typing this on an old Razer Lycosa who's "D" key is just about non-functional, but it's membrane and I've always liked how it felt and it lasted many years before the "D" key started giving out. ("A" key is being funky too)

The other is the Redragon K619 Horus. I actually like Redragon and think they've come a long way, but I'm not familiar with them in anything like the high end so I'm a bit leary. It has mech brown keys which are my fave as they're quiet and have a tactile feel, but I'm unsure of the noise and just in general. It looks like a better keyboard than the Cynosa on paper, but that doesn't always mean it is.

A couple of mentions. I know the Razer Ornata V3 X is almost identical to the Cynosa 'cept it's got mecha-membrane keys...which just means they added a click noise to it. I don't like click noises, they annoy my wife, so it's out. Same for the Redragon K618. The only difference between that and the K619 is that the K618 is wireless and wired where as the K619 is only wired. I don't like wireless keyboards so I'm just spiffy with the K619.

Anyone have input? I overloaded my brain looking at keyboards the last few days. I was using my back up keyboard which is a Redragon S101 that I've had for ages. It's solid, but the full sized non low-profile was too hard on my fingers and it took a ton of effort for every keystroke. I like the Lycosa a lot better, but it's backlighting is very dim and the "A" and "D" key keep giving me grief. So I decided it's new keyboard time for a low-profile, backlit, wired, easy to press keys but not so easy that just looking at 'em can cause them to type. (The K70 was REALLY sensitive which I loved when i could feel the keys a bit better, but now I need something a little safer)

Thanks in advance, sorry for always pestering for advice.

Just feel I should mention the Redragon is freaking AWESOME! Needed to put some tape over the logo and caps lock indicator things 'cause they were to bright//gaudy, but damn it types nice!

Back