Any electrically minded people please help.

I want a push button that behaves the same as you generally find in cameras. I.e

default state no contact
press slightly makes one circuit
press fully makes another.

Does anyone know what this is called and where I can find one (can't see any on farnell,maplin or rs).

I am basically planning to make an electronic cable release for my camera (have found circuits for it) but don't want to go with two seperate switches like they do.

Cheers,
CC

That particular one might, yes, but momentary switches don't. Essentially you want something that does OFF-NEUTRAL-ON or OFF-ON-ON; to be honest, your best bet is to contact a distributor with your needs and see what they suggest.

You can make one yourself with 2 microswitches that have leaf contacts on top of the buttons. Like this:

Code:
  ----
--+  |\
  |  | \   <-- push
--+  |  \
  ----

Just place them next to each other, with the leaves pointing down like above, and one a bit lower than the other. Now make a rod that slides down along the switches. Put a spring at the bottom so the button doesn't stay down.

Thanks for the info guys.

I had though about stacking two microswitches or using a lever arrangement. But thought that a purpose built switch would be much smaller and neater than I could put together.

This is for more of a doomsday device than a bomb ;-)

CC

Back