Any academics here? (Caltech vs. MIT)

Mintmaster

Veteran
Hi guys,

I know I'm not as integral a part of the B3D community as others here, but I could use some of your opinions.

In a few days I'm going to have to decide where I'll start my PhD in EE: Caltech or MIT. I'm going to study MEMS, and I'm a bit more interested with the work they're doing at Caltech. The prof there seems a bit better too by various measures. But this is stuff that I know quite well now, and can only really judge for myself.

I'm more interested in what you guys have heard about their reputation and life in Pasadena/LA versus Cambridge/Boston. I'm also curious about what you think are the pros/cons of a small university (2000 at Caltech) versus a medium one (12000 at MIT, plus community from neighbouring universities).

I'm getting the impression now that while everyone's heard of MIT and not as many about Caltech, among the more informed crowd it seems the difference is not as pronounced. Anyone think there will much difference in job prospects after I'm done? I've heard that recruiters tend to forget about Caltech since it's so small, but it could be just rumour.

Just trying to find out as much as possible before I commit, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mintmaster said:
Hi guys,

I know I'm not as integral a part of the B3D community as others here, but I could use some of your opinions.

In a few days I'm going to have to decide where I'll start my PhD in EE: Caltech or MIT. I'm going to study MEMS, and I'm a bit more interested with the work they're doing at Caltech. The prof there seems a bit better too by various measures. But this is stuff that I know quite well now, and can only really judge for myself.

I'm more interested in what you guys have heard about their reputation and life in Pasadena/LA versus Cambridge/Boston. I'm also curious about what you think are the pros/cons of a small university (2000 at Caltech) versus a medium one (12000 at MIT, plus community from neighbouring universities).

I'm getting the impression now that while everyone's heard of MIT and not as many about Caltech, among the more informed crowd it seems the difference is not as pronounced. Anyone think there will much difference in job prospects after I'm done? I've heard that recruiters tend to forget about Caltech since it's so small, but it could be just rumour.

Just trying to find out as much as possible before I commit, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

What, nobody is going to help the young man out? Do the heavy-techs not venture into General Discussion? :)

Boston and LA are quite a bit different as communities --where did you grow up? They get real winters in Boston, for example, and LA can be sunny and 70 in January (or rainy and 40 for a month, but that's more unusual). I won't say there aren't any attractive women in Boston (because of course they are everywhere), but the per-capita on babe-a-licious can't be beat in LA and they have the weather to flaunt it more days of the year.

Both are ethnically lumpy, tho obviously in different ways. I swear the last time I was through Logan it was at least as ethnically diverse as anything I've seen anywhere in this country. On the other hand, there's a fellow I'm working with on a current project with our Boston-based vendor and he is as "Old Sod" as they come --still a lot of Irish Irish in Boston.

Thanks, geo, for breaking the ice! I though this thread was going to quietly disappear without a single reply.

I grew up in Toronto, Canada, so either place will be an improvement in terms of weather :D When I went to visit Caltech a couple weeks ago, I was in shorts on the beach in 25C weather, and when I came home, we had a snowstorm! Granted, that was just a spurt of cold weather here that lasted only a weekend, but talk about a contrast!

Ethnically, Toronto is arguably the most diverse country in the world. We don't just have large minority groups like blacks or hispanics, but rather tons of small minorities. A recent study suggested that by 2017, we'd have more visible minorites than "white people" (for lack of a better word, though "pigmentally challenged" is a good one). You're right about California (or at least LA/Pasadena) being less diverse, though. I'm a Sikh with a turban, so I really stick out!

I definately noticed the accent they had in Boston. It was quite bazaar, popping out only with certain words. Had to stop myself from laughing a couple of times.

ninelven, I'm 23. I am leaning towards Caltech, so that's probably where I'll go. But I'm sure gonna miss my family. Boston is a semi-reasonable 9 hour drive away from Toronto, but I'm thinking I'll only see my them two, maybe three times a year. Such is life, I suppose.

As for girls, well, it's not as high on my priority list as for most, and I'd want to stick within my religion. I know if I marry anyone else, it's 99% guaranteed to be the end of the line in terms of traditions and religion. Probably plenty more in Boston than LA from my perspective. Superficially speaking, of course, there's not arguing with California 8)

Well, thanks for the input. If there's nothing bad to say about either of them, I guess it doesn't really matter much beyond personal choice.

Well, thanks for the input. If there's nothing bad to say about either of them, I guess it doesn't really matter much beyond personal choice.
You'll get a very similar education from any of the top 3 or 5 schools, you'll probably get very similar research opportunities, and you'll probably get very similar job placement. So yeah, it's personal choice.

Back