anti malware

did you try that site mize ?

Not from a PC yet. No issues from OS X or Linux, but I need to set up a VM for the windows test since all the ones I have at the office with win are pretty critical and I don't want to risk my gaming rig at home :)

Just to prove it isn't just dodgy sites that can infect you
this is on the front page of bluesnews

"A reader sent along a note yesterday to warn me his machine picked up a virus infection from a page on CVG after following a link to there from here. I was skeptical this was the case on such a major site, so I visited the page to see what was up. A couple of minutes later I got an antivirus pop-up that started scanning, saying I was infected with a virus, except this was not actually from my AV software. I killed this with the task manager, and removed the infection using Malwarebytes, and restored my system from earlier in the day. I got some weird responses from my antivirus software, and the infection recurred, so I realized the AV software got hijacked along the way, and I repeated that procedure adding an uninstall and reinstall to the checklist, which seems to have cleared things up, ending my tale of woe.

You hear stories about being able to get a virus payload from visiting a page and not even clicking links, but I never knew anyone who actually experienced that (until now), with the weird part being I must have visited the site to post the link in the first place, without incident. Anyway, I notified CVG about the problem

The problem is that the site itself doesn't even realize it's happening as it's usually due to an infected flash ad or something similar.

Yeah, I've run into things like that from time to time on customers machines, even the ones that don't go to anything but major corporations or major news sites. But at least those are really rare compared to some customers that go to all kinds of "odd" sites.

I've also been quite pleasantly surprised by Microsoft Security Essentials and have started recommending it first to customers along with options for the other free anti-virus packages. Besides the relatively good performance (realizing that nothing is 100% against malware) the fact that you don't have to re-register (new serial) every year or two is a big bonus to quite a few people.

Right now as family and friends machines with AVG or Avast start to pop up messages about needing to get a new serial, I'm just moving them to MSE.

Regards,
SB

I've also been quite pleasantly surprised by Microsoft Security Essentials
Yes! My NOD32 license runs out in about 2 weeks, so I'm going to give MS' package a whirl. Hell, it's free, so if it's no good then I haven't lost anything...hopefully! ;) Their Live OnCare dealie or whatever it was called was PITIFULLY slow, sucked HUGE CPU, crashed about 3 out of 4 times I tried to use it and was just all-round crap, but I believe they've gotten their s*** together by now.

Back