Adobe malwares best friend

Davros

Legend
Watching a flash video, next thing I get 2 popups
avg has discovered a threat in c:\users\davros\app data\adobe\cache\random numbers.exe and tmp
also got a msg from my firewall the same exe was trying to access the internet.

The last time I got infected was from a exploit in acrobats browser plugin
got a message that ***.dll has crashed opera then got a warning from my antivirus and firewall
that a file was dangerous and trying to access the internet.
Googled the dll and found out it was part of acrobat.
As a test I changed opera to download pdf files instaed of open, when back to the web page and sure enough
got a do you want to download ***.pdf

I fixed the acrobat problem by changing to foxit and telling it to never open pdf's in a browser
is there a 3rd part flash alternative ( I dont mean a flv player)

No, but you wouldn't need flash to play streaming video...presumably anyway, had any other sites than youtube actually supported HTML5 video playback.

No, but you wouldn't need flash to play streaming video...presumably anyway, had any other sites than youtube actually supported HTML5 video playback.

Vimeo also has a beta HTML5 player, but it doesn't work on Firefox for me (works for Chrome and Safari though).

In theory, it's possible to combine Javascript, HTML5, and SVG to make a (sort of) Flash alternative, but right now there are still too many problems to be solved.

Vimeo also has a beta HTML5 player, but it doesn't work on Firefox for me (works for Chrome and Safari though).

In theory, it's possible to combine Javascript, HTML5, and SVG to make a (sort of) Flash alternative, but right now there are still too many problems to be solved.

And in that case, you have still potential vulnerabilities due to Javascript. And I'm not entirely convinced there won't be exploits based on HTML5 or at least its implementation in various browsers.

Regards,
SB

And in that case, you have still potential vulnerabilities due to Javascript. And I'm not entirely convinced there won't be exploits based on HTML5 or at least its implementation in various browsers.

Of course. Personally I don't believe that HTML5+SVG+Javascript is the best way to replace Flash. However, it's can be argued that, since Flash is provided by a single vendor, if they decide not to fix some vulnerabilities as quick as possible, you don't have a lot of choice. However, if multiple browsers all support the same standard to achieve the same thing, they will somehow compete to be more secure. For example, if IE has a serious problem and takes Microsoft one month to fix, you can easily switch to Firefox or Chrome if they can do basically the same thing.

Back