Animal Crossing consumes Japan

Teasy

Veteran
Thought I'd post last weeks Japanese sales numbers (21-27 November). Since they mark the release of one of my most anticipated DS games, Animal Crossing. This game with the WiFi connection sounds amazing and the sales numbers back that up:

Top 10 software sales:

1. NDS Animal Crossing - Nintendo - 325,466
2. GCN Naruto 4 - Tomy - 122,322
3. GBA Rockman EXE 6 Grayga - Capcom - 107,099
4. PS2 Soul Calibur III - Namco - 106,920
5. PS2 Ratchet & Clank 4th - SCE - 85,487
6. GBA Rockman EXE 6 Falzar - Capcom - 65,560
7. GBA Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon Red - Pokemon - 57,143 (170,041)
8. PS2 Ikusagami - Genki - 52,547
9. NDS Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon Blue - Pokemon - 50,309 (173,865)
10. PS2 Gundam Seed Rengou vs ZAFT - Bandai - 42,427 (340,791)

325,466 is pretty amazing for one week of sales

Hardware sales:

DS 132,012
PSP 51,196
PS2 27,545
GBM 7,594
GBASP 5,709
GC 5,130
GBA 241
Xbox 128

DS is an unstopable beast in Japan. The rest of the gaming systems combined didn't come close to selling as much as DS did by itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
325,466 is pretty amazing for one week of sales

Hardware sales:

DS 132,012
DS is an unstopable beast in Japan. The rest of the gaming systems conbined didn't come close to selling as much as DS did by itself!
Wow. Impressive numbers for the game Animal Crossing, but the 132,000 units for the hardware is even more amazing. That's one DS sold for every third copy (yes, very roughly rounded) of that game. You're not kidding when you say it's an "unstoppable beast". I'd like to be sitting on the receiving end of that cash register! I want to see total sales at the end of its run. Is everyone in Japan gonna end up with a DS and Animal Crossing or what? heh

I take it GBM is GameBoy Micro. Not too impressive there though.

It's pretty interesting to note that in both lists the top performer reaches volumes of the next three combined (ok, so in hardware the DS sells more than everything listed and more combined). It's lonely at the top.

wireframe said:
(ok, so in hardware the DS sells more than everything listed and more combined). It's lonely at the top.

Well the PSP sold more than the PS2+GC+GBM+GBA+Xbox too.

Handhelds are HUGE in Japan.

this is only the beginning. japan is just technologically the most advanced, people there already think of handhelds as the leading enterntainment platforms. expect the same situation everywhere in 2 years (in WE possibly sooner than in NA).

regardless, very soon i'll have my ultimate weapon - my dream handheld! and from there on to world domination it's one step..

*maniacal laughter, fading away in the distance..*

Great ! I look forward to Animal Crossing for DS as well. Just persuaded a father to buy "Animal Crossing" for GameCube last week 8^D

Nice numbers! My wife enjoyed it AC on the GCN so maybe she'll like it on the DS as well. Reviews seem darn good.

jvd said:
How were mario kart sales out there ?

It's not out in Japan until next week! Imagine the effect that will have on sales in addition to Animal Crossing. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it

Mmmkay said:
It's not out in Japan until next week! Imagine the effect that will have on sales in addition to Animal Crossing. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it
really ? cause that game is friggen awsome . Ds is going to sell like hot cakes

sigh...What is wrong with Japan!? They must have a fetish with sims!:rolleyes: Anyway, the DS is half the price. That could explain why the psp isn't selling as well as a game-only machine. I know people are gonna mention games are the reason psp isn't selling well but look at animal crossing. That game has already been released, and with better controls and graphics. Nintendogs and animal crossing are medicore games, yet they sell well. hmmm

Yeah, extremely limited. You could trade items with people through code.

Of course, it was discovered that there were universal codes and they sapped the life out of it.

sigh...What is wrong with Japan!? They must have a fetish with sims! Anyway, the DS is half the price. That could explain why the psp isn't selling as well as a game-only machine. I know people are gonna mention games are the reason psp isn't selling well but look at animal crossing. That game has already been released, and with better controls and graphics. Nintendogs and animal crossing are medicore games, yet they sell well. hmmm

The question is what is right about Japan!.. something certainly is very right there. Its the only market where the best game idea's will thrive over the best graphics and most bloody violence..

Also Animal Crossing has not already been released with better controls, the DS version is not a port of the GameCube version, its a full online version of the game. Oh and by the way, you really need to learn the difference between your own tastes/opinion and fact if your going to post on a forum..

Teasy said:
Also Animal Crossing has not already been released with better controls, the DS version is not a port of the GameCube version, its a full online version of the game. Oh and by the way, you really need to learn the difference between your own tastes/opinion and fact if your going to post on a forum..

Well i didn't want to offend anyone. But reviews prove they are not my opinions. Both games are mediocre and with scores of 7's, that goes to show you. Also the online was described as boring by many reviewers, so what use does the game have? The gamecube version was better anyway.

Teasy said:
The question is what is right about Japan!.. something certainly is very right there. Its the only market where the best game idea's will thrive over the best graphics and most bloody violence..

Right here that's your opinion. How about you learn the difference. There are other places where great ideas come from besides Japan, without the bloody violence. Tetris, Tomb Raider 1 and Prince of persia are games that changed the game world and didn't come from Japan.

tomb raider and POP are still violent games. unless you consider shooting people and animals (and watching blood puff out), getting smooshed by huge rocks or being impaled by blood soaked spikes non-violent. or wacking stuff with a sword and trying to avoid getting impaled by bloody spikes non-violent. and both series became progressivly more violent over time.

pixelbox said:
Well i didn't want to offend anyone. But reviews prove they are not my opinions. Both games are mediocre and with scores of 7's, that goes to show you. Also the online was described as boring by many reviewers, so what use does the game have? The gamecube version was better anyway.

You're joking right?
Nintendogs: Gamerankings average: 85%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928837.asp
With Gamespot 9.1/10 and IGN 8.8/10

Animal Crossing GCN: Gamerankings average 87%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516502.asp?q=animal crossing

For AC:DS there're not enough scores around ATM.

I didn't say anything about where these games come from. I just said Japan is the place where gameplay and idea's seem to sell over shiny graphics and violence. Also the games you mentioned are violent, appart from Tetris, which is an old game (it doesn't represent the current state of the video games market).

Well i didn't want to offend anyone. But reviews prove they are not my opinions. Both games are mediocre and with scores of 7's, that goes to show you.

The fact that 9 (out of a total of 67) reviews gave Nintendogs a 7 somehow proves that its a mediocre game does it? That's some truley bizarre reasoning you have there. What, in your opinion, do all the reviews that gave it 8/9 and 10's prove by the way?

Also the online was described as boring by many reviewers, so what use does the game have? The gamecube version was better anyway.

Please quantify "many", for some reason I find it hard to believe anything you say at the moment.

Back