And the Oscar goes to... Jaromir Jagr

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
FFS, watching the ice hockey world championship final live, Russia vs Czech, and I'm just simply furious as a spectator who doesn't care which of these 2 wins.

There was 100% legal tackle by a russian player (shoving his ass in front of other player) - the bad part was that the other player was Jaromir Jagr, who again was like he would have been hit by a damn train there, and caused the referees to give 5+20 (game penalty) for the russian player - for a damn legal tackle which wasn't dangerous in anyway either :devilish:

Jagr has been doing this over and over again at least in world championships over the years, dunno if he did the same in NHL or does now in KHL, but seriously, ban the damn actor from any major sporting event :devilish:

Legal tackle?

Didn't watch the tournament. Was he put head first into the boards, or hit from behind in any way? The international refs seem to be really strict about hitting from behind, unlike the NHL.

Legal tackle?

Didn't watch the tournament. Was he put head first into the boards, or hit from behind in any way? The international refs seem to be really strict about hitting from behind, unlike the NHL.

No, the player just showed his butt in front of him (and against the side), so Jagr fell over him (but not towards the side)
The tackle hit clearly above kneeline, too, which would have been penalizable

vlcsnap-2010-05-24-15h10m17s6.png

vlcsnap-2010-05-24-15h19m08s93.png

Here's plenty of similar hits, unpenalized too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WHmijaPRw
And there was similar in the world championships too, but no-one made such video out of 'em (yet anyway)

I'm not sure if these work outside finland, but if it does, here's video of it too
http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/jaakiekko/mm_jaakiekko_2010/mm_jaakiekko_2010_mediasali/
(if necessary, click on the "viimeisimmät..........." to open, it should open it in couple secs without click too)
Browse down to "Aleksei Jemelin taklaa Jaromir Jagria" and click on it

The hit didn't warrent a 5+game, that's for sure. However, the preceding blind siding by Jemelin did. Unfortunately none of the refs saw that hit and thus didn't send Jemelin off. I guess they were told by the video referee to look out for Jemelin and when the next hit came, they compensated.

All in all a terrible performance by the referees.

Another example: Kovalchuk was correctly given a 2 minute penalty shortly before time for roughing, but the czhech who punched Kovalchuk in the face first did not.

Cheers

According to the refs the earlier case was clear accident by both parties and wasn't punished due that

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't see how a hip check warrants a suspension. The ref must have thought it went for the knees, but it looks like it's above the knees. On a review, that should be clear. The only thing I can see that might be wrong was whether it was interference or a late hit, since the puck seems to be far away. Still, the hit itself looks good.

Back