Analyst claims Halo 3 will perform better than GTA IV

They need to get GTA 4 out in the first half of this generation - so that they can release at least another 2-3 GTA games using the same technology, to make as much money on the franchise as possible ;)

I think there is a lot of truth in that. GTA is a cow that can be milked, and she will be milked regulary.

What I would like to know is what will Sonys answer to Halo3 be, will they try to outshine/spoil it by using some high profile title in the same genre or something completely different or will they just ride out the wave and follow their own path?

MS release date of Gears of War was such an obvious attempt to steal attention from the PS3s launch titles I wonder if that kind of behaviour will be common practise for high profile first party titles in the future.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. GTA is a cow that can be milked, and she will be milked regulary.

What I would like to know is what will Sonys answer to Halo3 be, will they try to outshine/spoil it by using some high profile title in the same genre or something completely different or will they just ride out the wave and follow their own path?

MS release date of Gears of War was such an obvious attempt to steal attention from the PS3s launch titles I wonder if that kind of behaviour will be common practise for high profile first party titles in the future.

It's pretty common place. Killzone was released around Halo 2 wasn't it? I can imagine Killzone 2 being positioned to counter Halo 3 this fall.

It's pretty common place. Killzone was released around Halo 2 wasn't it? I can imagine Killzone 2 being positioned to counter Halo 3 this fall.

Yeah, you are right. This is was wiki says:
Killzone received a great deal of hype in June 2003 when video game websites began releasing previews and rumors about the game. Most fans of Sony's second-generation console had been waiting for a game to top Microsoft's Halo: Combat Evolved, which has been released for its Xbox gaming system. Halo was a huge success, and was the best-selling Xbox game at the time, which led to PlayStation fans to dub Killzone the "Halo Killer".

We all know what happened, will history repeat itself? Actually I would be surprised if Killzone was released this year, Sony will probably not be releasing it before it is ready anyhow.
There will be several good multiplayer FPS available for PS3 this fall such as Warhawk and Unreal Tournament, so they are probably not in a hurry to get Killzone out of the door.

There will be several good multiplayer FPS available for PS3 this fall such as Warhawk and Unreal Tournament, so they are probably not in a hurry to get Killzone out of the door.

What? Warhawk will be a good multi FPS game?

I thought Warhawk was mainly a flying game...

Oh and i see Ken Kutagari was right, the PS3 is really 4d, how else did you travel forward in time, try out 2 games that arent released, and go back?

What I would like to know is what will Sonys answer to Halo3 be

Killzone2

If it's not ready for a live demonstration, expect a believable cgi vid (in-engine cut scene rendered off-line with all settings maxed).

They won't show a WIP of this franchise that casts doubt (negatively or positively). Sony may decide to wait until MS shows their hand and base their decision on what/when to show based how on Halo3 singleplayer shapes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo probably will outsell GTA, do you know why? Because when GTA comes out the console with more userbase in the USA will not be playstation this time around, it will be Xbox. And Xbox owners will likely choose Halo over GTA. Therefore, by default, Halo will have a edge.

Also, I think the GTA formula grew tired incredibly fast. There's no real way to iterate on it..

Halo probably will outsell GTA, do you know why? Because when GTA comes out the console with more userbase in the USA will not be playstation this time around, it will be Xbox. And Xbox owners will likely choose Halo over GTA. Therefore, by default, Halo will have a edge.

Also, I think the GTA formula grew tired incredibly fast. There's no real way to iterate on it..

I agree with your assessment however what of the gta fans that want GTA4, yet have only a ps2?

Will they cough up $500-600 for ps3 or $300-400 for xb360 to get their gta4 fix?

I am of the opinion both will see a $100 pricedrop by late this year. Leaving this scenario:

$400-500 for ps3 or $200-300 for xb360 to get their gta4 fix

If Gta4 is marketed at all and the reviews are as favorable as they have been in the past, expect the core to sell out quick along with open space behind the gta4 stickers on shelves.

I bought an xbox1 just to play halo 2, since everybody was so high on that game - and although the game was good, I felt cheated since that was the most "expensive" game I ever played, and I didnt felt like it was worth all that money. (I ended up playing also KOTOR and a couple of other xbox only games in the end to level up the costs and finally I sold them all).
I will never to this again with the 360, and I'm not planing to buy even a PS3 anytime soon, the old PS2 still does the trick for me for the moment.
I cannot see Halo 3 evolving to a MUCH better gaming experience, as it is "only" a FPS. On the other hand, GTA4 has a huge potential of improvement over every aspect of the gameplay in SanAndreeas.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble...I fall into the Halo as an automatic purchase, and GTA as a enticing maybe, but hey I have Crackdown, what more do I need? ;)

I'm in the same camp. I might get GTAIV, but Crackdown is more my style and Halo 3 is automatic for me.

What? Warhawk will be a good multi FPS game?

I thought Warhawk was mainly a flying game...?
From the TGS hands-on video it looked more like a Battlefield type of game to me, maybe a bad choice.

Oh and i see Ken Kutagari was right, the PS3 is really 4d, how else did you travel forward in time, try out 2 games that arent released, and go back?
Yes, you are right I don´t know if they will be good games. We don´t know if GTA4 or Halo3 will be good games either, which makes the thread kind of pointless, maybe we should ask the mods to close the thread?

BTW I don´t have a PS3, so I can´t travel in time yet. ;)

Killzone2

If it's not ready for a live demonstration, expect a believable cgi vid (in-engine cut scene rendered off-line with all settings maxed).

They won't show a WIP of this franchise that casts doubt (negatively or positively). Sony may decide to wait until MS shows their hand and base their decision on what/when to show based how on Halo3 singleplayer shapes up.

While this make complete sense, and will most likely be what we see for Killzone2, this is just going to be a repeat of Killzone1 vs Halo 2.

We were fed a steady dose of high quality footage prior to Killzone, only to find out we were playing a game that wasn't even close to the same level of Halo 2.

All we are being setup for right now is a letdown in the final product of Killzone 2. It will be no competion with Halo 3, and thats even if Killzone2 sees any day of light in 2007 (calendar.)

With that being said, both GTAIV and Halo3 will sell over 4-5 million copies a piece. With Halo3 being exclusive, it gets the nod.

I agree. I dont see what else can make the game delayed to 2008.

It will definately sell well. In a way he's right. I know a couple of people that will buy Halo 3 over GTAIV in a heartbeat if they only had $60, but, those same people are very much considering buying both games.

And of course, theres still the PS3 userbase. Outside the X360 userbase, no one else cares about Halo 3 so I can definately see PS3 owners buying GTAIV as their AAA title this year(or am I failing to see a bigger picture :oops: )

I think main point will be PS2 userbase, who have purchased previous GTA titles in millions and hence will be moving up to PS3.

If that happens, then yes, GTAIV will have great sales.

Halo on the other hand, has currently bigger installed base of consoles, so first month sales will be better for sure.

Always hated the GTA though.

I think main point will be PS2 userbase, who have purchased previous GTA titles in millions and hence will be moving up to PS3.

90% of the PS2 userbase bought their consoles at $200 or less, so if you actually think that the ps2 userbase will all be moving to the PS3, it might take a good while.

Which means GTA4 wont sell all that well, because, in 3 years when the PS3 is $200, nobody will care about GTA4.

90% of the PS2 userbase bought their consoles at $200 or less, so if you actually think that the ps2 userbase will all be moving to the PS3, it might take a good while.

Which means GTA4 wont sell all that well, because, in 3 years when the PS3 is $200, nobody will care about GTA4.

and nobody would buy PS3 without any games, yet look at us know :).

an analyst talking about games he has never played, for one game he hasn't even saw a screenshot or single gameplay info, is pathetic

If that happens, then yes, GTAIV will have great sales.

Like 80% of those people bought the PS2 at $200 or less. Assuming pricedrops of $100 all around by then, what in the world makes you think they'll be willing to spend $399 on a PS3 when they can get a 360 core for $199?

Granted, many will migrate from PS2 and PS3 through brand loysalty, but many also bought the PS2 in the first place because of it's low price, and these people if they really want to play GTA will most likely by the cheaper 360, it's simply dollars and cents.

Another deciding factor could be DC. 360 will get a few more episodic downloads, but PS3 owners will get new areas to explore with missions...that could sway people more than the price if they are looking for a certain kind of replayability

Another deciding factor could be DC. 360 will get a few more episodic downloads, but PS3 owners will get new areas to explore with missions...that could sway people more than the price if they are looking for a certain kind of replayability

Can you please provide a link with evidence that the downloadables will be fundamentally different? I don't think I've seen anything of the kind.

Back