Analyst claims Halo 3 will perform better than GTA IV

Link:

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22884

Grand Theft Auto IV may only enjoy modest sales when its launched later this year, due to competition from another highly anticipated gaming franchise, Halo 3.

Analyst Michael Pachter sees a more loyal following for the Bungie sci-fi shooter than Rockstar's urban crime sim, while a small installed base of next-gen console owners and increased competition from the Nintendo Wii will also hamper sales.

The analyst detailed a significant number of warnings over the future of publisher Take-Two, including concern about profitability, the performance of the rest of its gaming portfolio and the possible loss of key creative staff.

"We expect only modest results for Grand Theft Auto IV when it launches this Fall," said Pachter.

"Although we expect demand to be high, we think that the addressable market will be quite small, with only approximately 13 - 14 million Xbox 360 owners at launch and only around 5 - 6 million PS3 owners in the US and Europe," he detailed.

"GTA IV may attach at a slower rate than many anticipate, given that it is expected to launch in the same window as Halo 3 on the Xbox 360. In our view, Xbox 360 owners who choose to buy only one of the two games at launch will opt to buy Halo 3 first, because of its well-developed online gameplay and fiercely loyal fan base."

The opinions on Grand Theft Auto IV are one of a number of blows the analyst dished out in it's latest note to investors.

Wedbush Morgan also believes that apart from the GTA license, Take-Two has a poor portfolio of titles, including a sports division struggling to turn a profit.

"We think that Take-Two's flagship franchise, Grand Theft Auto, will continue to generate significant profits, but are less optimistic about the profit potential from its sports business and from everything else," said Pachter.

The analyst believes that the publisher has made erratic choices in the pursuit of profits over the past two years.

"Other content is the wild card for Take-Two," he said.

"We think that the company's strategy over the last two years has been unsound, as it appears to us to have chased revenues from any source without regard to the profit potential of the game," he commented.

Wedbush has downgraded Take-Two's stock to 'sell'. The company also lists the ongoing corporate investigations by the SEC and the quitting of key employees such as former COO Gary Lewis and co-founder of Rockstar Games, Terry Donovan, as other key factors in making Take Two a risky company to invest in.

"We think that there remains significant risk at the company," said Wedbush.

"This risk consists of ongoing risks from the NY DA investigation, the risk that the company could lose key talent that is responsible for its flagship game, the risk that GTA may decline in popularity, and the risk that the company's recent losses are not a reflection of the console transition, but are instead a symptom of bad decisions."

"We think it is is important to note that while Take-Two lost an estimated US $70 million in calendar 2006, its closest competitors were all profitable," concluded the analyst.

Hahahahaha!

I can't believe they ACTUALLY think that GTA IV will ever come out this yr!!!!

:LOL: :LOL:

Lol, Pachter has set an altime low for the quality in his predictions. Has he taken a look at the attach rates for AA next gen titles yet??

With new IP's like GoW selling 3million+, he's worried about the install base for GTA4?? And he truly does not understand the console market if he thinks GTA and Halo 3 are really competing with eachother.

Well I do too... why wouldn't it?
and I'm pretty sure it will sell well.

I agree. I dont see what else can make the game delayed to 2008.

It will definately sell well. In a way he's right. I know a couple of people that will buy Halo 3 over GTAIV in a heartbeat if they only had $60, but, those same people are very much considering buying both games.

And of course, theres still the PS3 userbase. Outside the X360 userbase, no one else cares about Halo 3 so I can definately see PS3 owners buying GTAIV as their AAA title this year(or am I failing to see a bigger picture :oops: )

I think the bigger problem is available userbase and cost of entry.

GTA3 sold on a large userbase that was cheap (~$200) to get into if you wanted GTA3 but didn't yet have a ps2. PS3 on the other hand is significantly more expensive and it will likely have less than the 20million+ userbase ps2 had when gta3 hit. XBox360 is also likely to have a smaller userbase and (potentially) higher price point of entry.

I agree. I dont see what else can make the game delayed to 2008.

It will definately sell well. In a way he's right. I know a couple of people that will buy Halo 3 over GTAIV in a heartbeat if they only had $60, but, those same people are very much considering buying both games.

And of course, theres still the PS3 userbase. Outside the X360 userbase, no one else cares about Halo 3 so I can definately see PS3 owners buying GTAIV as their AAA title this year(or am I failing to see a bigger picture :oops: )

Yes exactly, PS3 owners will feast on GTA 4 and eventhough most X360-owners like myself would choose Halo 3 over GTA, there is enough cash for both.

They need to get GTA 4 out in the first half of this generation - so that they can release at least another 2-3 GTA games using the same technology, to make as much money on the franchise as possible ;)

Doesnt the X360 have like the strongest attach rate so early compared to any console in history?

Im pretty sure people can afford to buy both.

I think Pachter's opinion is based on the fact that Halo was the more popular title of the two games on the Xbox. In addition, I think he assumes that the majority of the xbox 360 were sold to xbox owners. Therefore, with the 360 having a higher userbase in 2007, Halo will sales more than GTA on the 360 and the PS3 combined.

I think that Halo 3 outselling the GTA4 is possible. But I also think Pacter's logic is flawed. First GTA on the Xbox suffered from its step child status. GTA Xbox interations were always released after the PS2 version which means any multi-console owners who owned both consoles usually purchased the PS2 version. Thus, allowing the PS2 GTA to eat into the potential market of the Xbox's GTA. Furthermore, the marketing for the xbox versions weren't as extensive as the PS2 version creating less anticipation for the xbox titles.

Releasing both on the PS3 and the 360 allows each platform to compete equally for GTA dollars, with each able to take advantage of the huge marketing campaign and initial anticipation. We will find out whose the more popular title when on the same platform.

I doubt Halo would of seen the same level of success if it had first been released on the PS2 and came to the xbox almost as an afterthought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Pachter's opinion is based on the fact that Halo was the more popular title of the two games on the Xbox. In addition, I think he assumes that the majority of the xbox 360 were sold to xbox owners. Therefore, with the 360 having a higher userbase in 2007, Halo will sales more than GTA on the 360 and the PS3 combined.

I think that Halo 3 outselling the GTA4 is possible. But I also think Pacter's logic is flawed. First GTA on the Xbox suffered from its step child status. GTA Xbox interations were always released after the PS2 version which means any multi-console owners who owned both consoles usually purchased the PS2 version. Thus, allowing the PS2 GTA to eat into the potential market of the Xbox's GTA. Furthermore, the marketing for the xbox versions weren't as extensive as the PS2 version creating less anticipation for the xbox titles.

Releasing both on the PS3 and the 360 allows each platform to compete equally for GTA dollars, with each able to take advantage of the huge marketing campaign and initial anticipation. We will find out whose the more popular title when on the same platform.

I doubt Halo would of seen the same level of success if it had first been released on the PS2 and came to the xbox almost as an afterthought.

Great post.

Personally I think GTA4 has the potential to sell more, but this has more to do with how the individual games turn out than anything else.

If GTA4 is more of the same with a new layer of semigloss and Halo3 rewrites the book on FPS standards of excellence, well it isn't hard to imagine which would sell more. Reverse the situation and the opposite result would surely occur.

Both great - who cares which sells more as they would both enjoy a healthy profit.:D

Great post.

Personally I think GTA4 has the potential to sell more, but this has more to do with how the individual games turn out than anything else.

If GTA4 is more of the same with a new layer of semigloss and Halo3 rewrites the book on FPS standards of excellence, well it isn't hard to imagine which would sell more. Reverse the situation and the opposite result would surely occur.

Both great - who cares which sells more as they would both enjoy a healthy profit.:D

Consider the Halo demographic for a second..

I'd say that the vast majority of Halo owners probably bought GTA on the Xbox on release..

Now considering that same demographic, If GTA DID see release sometime this yr then i'd fuly expect GTA to superceed Halo 3 in sales purely because it would hit multiple-platofrms as opposed to Halo 3's singular, and i'm sure GTA will continue to appeal to the Halo players, the non-FPS-centric xbox360 owners, AND the long-time fans of the GTA series who are enthusiastic PS3 owners and have very few other AAA titles coming on the platform to get excited about.. Especially since by that point the PS3 will still be a mass swell of hardcore gamers with more money than sense, long time playstation fanatics and fans of the GTA series (as is the vast majority of the games industry)...

However I stand my ground in the belief that, considering the immense void of information, media and hype surrounding the next-gen GTA game (where's the bloody flash site they always put online about a yr before the game goes gold???), that GTA IV will never see relase this side of new yrs 2008...

Just my oppinion.. Feel free to disagree.. ;)

However I stand my ground in the belief that, considering the immense void of information, media and hype surrounding the next-gen GTA game (where's the bloody flash site they always put online about a yr before the game goes gold???), that GTA IV will never see relase this side of new yrs 2008...

Isn't that typical of GTA games that besides some cheeky website there always seem to be a lack of information just to prior to release?

"We think it is is important to note that while Take-Two lost an estimated US $70 million in calendar 2006, its closest competitors were all profitable," concluded the analyst.

How in the world did they lose 70 million dollars last year??

Consider the Halo demographic for a second..

I'd say that the vast majority of Halo owners probably bought GTA on the Xbox on release..

I've honestly seen more to the contrary. Of the 10 people I know in real life who bought Halo 1 and 2, and played it a lot, only 2 of them bought GTA. One of them on PS2, actually. Of the rest, some of us had played GTA, but I know that my good friend and I couldn't care less about GTA.

I can take a look at two of my nephews (brothers), and one used to play GTA quite a bit. He likes Halo, but not as much as most of the people referenced above. On the other hand, his brother could easily be described as a Halo fanboy, yet I never saw him play much of any GTA on PS2.

Just a sidenote, not commenting on anything else.

GTA4 will be a huge decline from SA. It has lost some mindshare. Exclusive-deal would make it hot again.

http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto4/

GTA4 will be a huge decline from SA. It has lost some mindshare. Exclusive-deal would make it hot again.

Mindshare was lost because its not time exclusive?

I could fathom that thought on the basis that GTA being exclusive on one of the platform would elicit more chatter of GTA4 in the PS3 vs. 360 discussion. But, GTA4 doesn't need that inclusion in useless debates in forums all over net to generate demand. All GTA4 has to do to generate demand is to show a more interactive world than SA, inclusion of a well acted cutscenes that insinuate a grand story and theme and the GTA logo and its mayhem all over again.

All GTA4 has to do to generate demand is to show a more interactive world than SA, inclusion of a well acted cutscenes that insinuate a grand story and theme and the GTA logo and its mayhem all over again.

or

its mayhem all over again

:p

Seriously I don't think this title needs much buzz. A small clip at e3 should be all that's necessary. Followed by a commercial or two stating it's coming the week prior and that should do the trick.;)

The people that bought gta3 a,b,c, are already asking their local game shops/ searching the net I'm sure.

If the concensus reviews say it's garbage then who knows. Otherwise it's gold. Same for Halo3

At the risk of getting myself in trouble...I fall into the Halo as an automatic purchase, and GTA as a enticing maybe, but hey I have Crackdown, what more do I need? ;)

GTA4 is going to have to do a LOT to convince 360 buyers because Crackdown is just so much fun to play, even if it doesn't have the variety of GTA.

Lol, Pachter has set an altime low for the quality in his predictions. Has he taken a look at the attach rates for AA next gen titles yet??

With new IP's like GoW selling 3million+, he's worried about the install base for GTA4?? And he truly does not understand the console market if he thinks GTA and Halo 3 are really competing with eachother.

I completely agree. And I mean isn't GTA IV going to be on two systems day one this time? I'd be surprised if Halo 3 sold more.

Back