AMD X2 4800 + or AMD FX 57

radeonic2 said:
What did the devs do ti make it crash with dual core cpus :???:
From what I understand, it's a problem that can arise in the context of multithreaded application. Now, neither of these games does much in terms of multithreading, as can be seen just by looking at CPU usage when playing them, but they don't need to do much. Basically, because you have a different number of processors, it is similarly possible to have threads finish execution in a different order than they would on a single CPU. There may be a bug where the programmers unwittingly expect one thread to finish execution either early or late, and it will crash otherwise.

One a single processor, it may just happen that every time the program is run, that thread finishes at the expected time, and the program moves along fine. But on a dual-core, it may finish execution sooner or later, and the program chokes and dies.

You guys do know of the exsitence of multithreaded gpu drivers and what kind of performance increase they provide? So I guess the day's of the FX are fading away.

Skinner said:
You guys do know of the exsitence of multithreaded gpu drivers and what kind of performance increase they provide? So I guess the day's of the FX are fading away.
Well, it'd be nice to investigate this myself, but I wouldn't expect more than 10%-15% improvement in CPU-limited situations.

radeonic2 said:
Besides the notoriously cpu limited EQ2, games simply aren't limited by such powerfull cpus at the res you game at, as opposed to that 640x480 "gaming performance" bullshit all the reviewers opt for.
We provide both at bit-tech in our CPU & motherboard reviews ;)

Chalnoth said:
Well, it'd be nice to investigate this myself, but I wouldn't expect more than 10%-15% improvement in CPU-limited situations.

Well the strange thing is, there are improvements also in higher res. and IQ too, according to several users arround the forums (nvnews), not the conditions where you expect to be CPU-limited (not scaling down as the res. goes up). (Far Cry and Doom3 example). Improvements are indeed arround about 10-15% mostly.

But these are beta drivers and I''m waiting a bit longer to see if its really worth selling my FX which costed me a small fortune ;)

radeonic2 said:
Clearly that's a software problem so I dont see how he can blame the x2.

Typical end user give a rats @ss who's fault it is? No. They'll just note "this combination sucks" and try to avoid it. And if they are fonder of the app than the hardware, guess which one goes?

radeonic2 said:
dont look at me that way :oops:
Ok, I won't - I'll wink with the other eye if you want? :D

I'd wish you'd include some low end cpus like the 3000+ :cry:
I want to do so too - the problem is getting hold of them... FWIW, I might just sod it and go out and buy a 3500+ for the amount it'll cost me/bit-tech. Or, alternatively, I'll give AMD a call again and see what they can do to help - a 3800+ would be ideal, as it's the fastest 512KB L2 cached chip and it'd mean I could lower the mult to get all the way down to 3000+. :)

bigz said:
Ok, I won't - I'll wink with the other eye if you want? :D

I want to do so too - the problem is getting hold of them... FWIW, I might just sod it and go out and buy a 3500+ for the amount it'll cost me/bit-tech. Or, alternatively, I'll give AMD a call again and see what they can do to help - a 3800+ would be ideal, as it's the fastest 512KB L2 cached chip and it'd mean I could lower the mult to get all the way down to 3000+. :)
I was just jokin:)
Yes tell amd you're doing a cpu scaling article and would love a new cpu to play with :D

Back