AMD X2 4800 + or AMD FX 57

barnak

Newcomer
I know this has been asked alot and your probally tired of hearing it. Im trying to decide which is better for gaming. The FX has been said by alot to be better for todays games. But how long will that last? I would hate to buy such an exspensive single core cpu than get over whelmed by multi thread utlitys/games in the next year or two. Whats some of your personal suggestions, with price not being an issue?

You're probably better off with a San Diego based 3500+ or faster part. You won't spend a small fortune and you'll have time to see how well developer support for dual cores grows next year before committing to that route.

barnak said:
I know this has been asked alot and your probally tired of hearing it. Im trying to decide which is better for gaming. The FX has been said by alot to be better for todays games. But how long will that last? I would hate to buy such an exspensive single core cpu than get over whelmed by multi thread utlitys/games in the next year or two. Whats some of your personal suggestions, with price not being an issue?
Well, for the same price you can go dual-core and get some sweet overclocking in at the same time. And I'm of the opinion that dual-core does have a large number of benefits now, including:
1. Background processes won't impact your game. Once I even had a full-system virus scan running while I was playing a game and didn't notice, except that level load times dramatically increased.
2. Multitasking is massively better.
3. Some programs already make excellent use of multicore, such as MPEG-4 encoding.

Granted, the Athlon FX is a better overclocker just because its multiplier is unlocked, but I don't think you'll really notice the performance difference that much in today's games. If you got a dual-core processor with some nice, fast RAM, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Agreed. I run FX-57 and I wish I had an X2, even just the 3800. Dual-core, err, for the win?

I actually put this to bit-tech's readers not long ago - amazingly 67% of them would opt for an X2 4800+ in their next gaming rig given an unlimited budget.

I'd go with the X2 without a second thought - the extra 400MHz doesn't make up for the orgasmic silky smoothness of a dual core CPU.

Yeah, I don't see myself giving up my HT for AMD-ville unless it is for an X2. My Intel desktop doesn't go into "contemplating its own navel and won't come out" mode nearly as often as my AMD laptop. . .

I'd even choose a 4400+ over a fx 57 since at high res your video card is the bottleneck and obviously two cores are better than one for multitasking.

The kicker is the thread started asked which is better for gaming for the immediate future. And, honestly, my desktop is just as snappy with a FX-57 as it was with the 4800+ installed.

John Reynolds said:
The kicker is the thread started asked which is better for gaming for the immediate future. And, honestly, my desktop is just as snappy with a FX-57 as it was with the 4800+ installed.

When an app goes bad you don't find it clunkier than the X2?

John Reynolds said:
The real kicker is that your fx-57 wont get better frame rates then even a P4 at high res with the eye candy on ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
When an app goes bad you don't find it clunkier than the X2?

Apps don't go bad with the FX-57; they sure did with the 4800+ installed.

As a gamer, I'm soo glad I've got that FX-57. Yes, the dual cores multi-task like grandma's woolen pajamas but, you know, it's really rare that I say to myself, "Hey, I need to run a virus scan right now, but I can't wait to start playing EQ2 again."

John Reynolds said:
Apps don't go bad with the FX-57; they sure did with the 4800+ installed.

As a gamer, I'm soo glad I've got that FX-57. Yes, the dual cores multi-task like grandma's woolen pajamas but, you know, it's really rare that I say to myself, "Hey, I need to run a virus scan right now, but I can't wait to start playing EQ2 again."
Besides the notoriously cpu limited EQ2, games simply aren't limited by such powerfull cpus at the res you game at, as opposed to that 640x480 "gaming performance" bullshit all the reviewers opt for.
What app "went bad" with a 4800+
I find it hard to believe a dual core A64 running at 2.4 ghz is less responsive than a single core at 2.8 ghz.

radeonic2 said:
What app "went bad" with a 4800+
Some applications will randomly crash unless you set the CPU affinity to single CPU with a dual-core processor. It may be better now, but I've mostly just been playing under Linux lately.

geo said:
Yeah, I don't see myself giving up my HT for AMD-ville unless it is for an X2. My Intel desktop doesn't go into "contemplating its own navel and won't come out" mode nearly as often as my AMD laptop. . .

Careful with that comparison...
The culprit in such a case is usually the slow notebook HDD.

Snyder said:
Careful with that comparison...
The culprit in such a case is usually the slow notebook HDD.

I don't think so. I'm talking more about an app hanging and trying to keep working on other stuff while you kill it and then wait for it to end. My P4 seems much better at that kind of thing.

Chalnoth said:
Some applications will randomly crash unless you set the CPU affinity to single CPU with a dual-core processor. It may be better now, but I've mostly just been playing under Linux lately.
Clearly that's a software problem so I dont see how he can blame the x2.

geo said:
I don't think so. I'm talking more about an app hanging and trying to keep working on other stuff while you kill it and then wait for it to end. My P4 seems much better at that kind of thing.
In my experience, that's most often a system configuration issue. My roommate's P4, which has a very cheap SiS motherboard, seems to hang routinely for no good reason. In the past, I had a system that would hang routinely, and found it was due to the way I had partitioned my hard drive for dual-booting with Linux.

radeonic2 said:
Clearly that's a software problem so I dont see how he can blame the x2.
Oh, I definitely agree. And it's a problem that can be fixed with software patches. Since the two games that I know of that had that issue, World of Warcraft and Everquest 2, are online games, those patches are expected (haven't tested either one recently to see if it's still an issue, but WoW just had a big patch not too long ago, and EQ2 had that expansion pack, so I"m willing to bet it's been nixed by now).

And just what are the odds of getting older or even recent yet not very successful games patched by their publisher if there's compatibility and/or performance issues with a dual core CPU? Answer: none.

Chalnoth said:
Oh, I definitely agree. And it's a problem that can be fixed with software patches. Since the two games that I know of that had that issue, World of Warcraft and Everquest 2, are online games, those patches are expected (haven't tested either one recently to see if it's still an issue, but WoW just had a big patch not too long ago, and EQ2 had that expansion pack, so I"m willing to bet it's been nixed by now).
What did the devs do ti make it crash with dual core cpus :???:

Back