AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

BacBeyond and Lightman like this.
  2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

The anti-mining strategy is the power draw, and the price... I look at the bundle thing as a way to, somehow, let you believe that the watercooled vega is worth 699. My guess is they can't produce a lot of them, so they propose it in that kind of bundle...

I guess aircooled vega + custom waterblock by EK or XSPC will cost less...

pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  3. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This is my interpretation of the LC in bundle only. A real pity since that was the card I was planning on getting at $599. Guess I'm waiting for AIB versions instead, though worried about the price/perf...

Doesn't clockspeed have little effect on mining from the FE tests? It's more about the bandwidth available. And the power draw on the LC obviously a big factor as well.

pharma, DavidGraham and Anarchist4000 like this.
  4. ToTTenTranz

5. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

The bundling page lists for germany no FreeSync display and the not-so-brand-new-anymore Sniper Elite 4 instead of the upcoming Wolfenstein II (and yes, there is a special german version which removes the swastikas).

Maybe our electricity cost is high enough to discourage mining.

Lightman likes this.
  6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Far Cry 5 and Futuremark will support rapid-packed math, so those should give a good indication of vega architectural improvements relative to older GCN variants.

7. Cat Merc

Newcomer

Anyone wondering where all the die size of Vega went, wonder no more.

It has 45MB of SRAM on die. GP100 has 23MB, GV100 has 33MB.
    God knows what they're doing with all of that and still somehow being hungrier for bandwidth.

ArkeoTP and T1beriu like this.
  8. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

"God knows what they're doing with all of that" should be a good quote on the vega rx adds.

Kej, ArkeoTP, xEx and 4 others like this.
  9. ToTTenTranz

Well Futuremark is (IMHO) mostly irrelevant, but Far Cry 5 is really nice news. Where did you get that info? Do they say it's coming for the PC version or did they just mention the PS4 Pro version?

EDIT: Found it:

So Ubisoft's Dunia is the first second engine to officially support FP16 shaders in the PC.

EDIT2:

Nope, Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (2 months away) with idTech6 is bringing the whole thing: Vulkan, FP16 and intrinsic shaders (like Doom before it).

[​IMG]

#3249 ToTTenTranz, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Kej, Silent_Buddha, BRiT and 3 others like this.
  10. Scott_Arm

Legend

It's mentioned in a batch of Rx Vega videos that AMD released today or yesterday. I think it's stated that the futuremark demo shows at least a 15% improvement with rpm, but I'm just going from memory having watched it earlier today.

Get ready for some cringe-worthy pr hyperbole when watching these vids.

Lightman likes this.
  11. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

How so? Miners were spending $500 on 290s and chartering 747s to fly them around. Couple that to lower core clocks, at significantly reduced power, as bandwidth is more important and they are likely very energy efficient.

BacBeyond likes this.
  12. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

From what I know from my mining experience, 290 are viewed like "oh, I've this old card around, why not using it", and that was when ETH was so high that you didn't care about energy. Now, it's another story. That's why 580/570 ,and 1060 are "hot", good perf/low conso. I have 24mh/s with a 80w 1060. 31mh/sec with a 180w Fury X. And I live in France where energy doesn't cost too much. With the altcoins being down right now, I won't add a 180w+ card for mining, it make no sense.

I'm not saying Vega won't be used by some miners, but I really doubt it will be out of stock because of it like r570/580 and 1060s were/are in some places.

BRiT likes this.
  13. troyan

Newcomer

Futuremark creates a benchmark sponsored by AMD. Yikes, guess that means the end to their business model...

pharma likes this.
  14. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Who says it's going to be a benchmark? Could be a feature test as well which does not affect official scores.

BRiT, Lightman and ToTTenTranz like this.
  15. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Will Volta have fp16 too ? If so, yes, I don't see why Futuremark should ignoring this. It's a new feature...

no-X and Lightman like this.
  16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

a bunch of intel intergrated stuff has fp16 also . So its not really just amd

BRiT and Lightman like this.
  17. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah I know, but, I meant, gamer cards... Tegra X1 have "fast" fp16 too I believe.

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Well high end cards its just this . But if games start to support fp 16 intel intergrated stuff could see performance increases that will help more people play the games. Esp if updating older games to take advantage of it isn't that hard

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

I don't think it should matter if Volta supports it. It's a real performance enhancing feature that will be used in games. I think omitting it would be more unfair and unrepresentative.

BRiT likes this.
  20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Not going to lie if wolf 2 comes with the 56cu edition at $400 it will be worth it to me to upgrade as long as performance is above a 1070. I can ditch my old 290 get a big performance upgrade and a game i was already going to buy.

Lightman likes this.