AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. seahawk

Regular

Especially as the G-Sync monitors go lower in minimum Frequency than the FreeSync example, which does not work with the NV cards anyway.

2. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Then they are making their GPU look bad, the reference design is not capable of providing the best performance out of Vega. I'm interested to see how aftermarket designs perform, the ones to look for are the ASUS Strix and MSI Gaming X line.

pharma and BRiT like this.
  3. oscarbg

Newcomer

just my two cents:
    in slide 12 we see
    HBCC will enable 27gb of data assets on OpenGL apps
    says for "content creators" so Radeon support also?
    or vega fe and vega pro only?
    also would be nice if & how fast amdgpu pro driver for linux will support it? and even Mesa amdgpu driver..

in slide 28 we see the peak primite discard throuput..
    in fact comparing with:
    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/953-7/performances-theoriques-geometrie.html
    that should be more than 2x faster than GP102 so 1080ti..
    in fact (see below) sad is that it might not be enabled on launch drivers:
    they tested with a prototipe 17.320 driver assuming 17.320=17.32>17.30 current driver..
    hope hardware.fr recieves a Vega for testing and we will see clearly if launch drivers have it enabled..

in slide 49
    we see the dirty details..
    in fact there is a comment for primitive shaders (slide 27):
    saying in future radeon drivers, gpuopen sdks or future support from 3d apis
    slide 11: similar comment (saying possible future support in radeon drivers, gpuopen sdks or future support from 3d apis ) :
    is that refering to "programamble inclusive/exclusive caching"? exposing configuring page size (large,small)? who knows..

related note OpenGL 4.6 released today most interesting for me is support for some advanced OGL shading language extensions in OGL SPIR-V extensión.. how fast AMD will support that? will also Mesa amdgpu driver be faster with support?
    also seems float16 support in HLSL 2018 (seen on github compiler site) so should be sm 6.2 or sm6.3 (too late for SM6.1 coming in falls creators update..)
    PD: hope we see 3DMark Serra this year ..

T1beriu and BacBeyond like this.
  4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

At the 8m00 mark:

So AMD is claiming Vega RX's power consumption is a whole lot lower than Vega FE's.
    I wonder if this refers purely to driver level (meaning current Vega FE owners will get lower power consumption), or it's something that's actually disabled in FE's PCB configuration. I'f hope for the former, but we already know the VRMs are different between the cards, for example.

BacBeyond and Lightman like this.
  5. pharma

Veteran Regular

Vega RX seems to be very dependent upon FreeSync to garner any kind of acceptance from the gaming community. Wonder if the targeted GPU strategy is to maintain marketshare until Navi?

6. Cat Merc

Newcomer

Would be nice if it hit state 7 more often within the same power budget.

7. leoneazzurro

Regular

It's not that they are trying to make their card looking bad, it's that the air cooled version has the same price as the "Partners" version of 1080 (and 50$ less than 1080 FE). Liquid cooled version costs more, so it would have been not an "apples to apples" comparison, and of course competition had pointed out it immediately.

8. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

That seems true for modern gaming on any platform: FreeSync or GSync.

9. majord

I might of missed it in the disscusion, but has there been much talk of the move to 8 Shader engines? seems a fundamental new aspect of Vega vs Fiji.. I wonder if this would also explain the fairly consistent performance from 1080p through 4K ?

10. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

It seems Scott's Fury X review really got to them, not only did they ask him to join them but are totally focusing on that metric to the point where people are wondering if the averages aren't good enough.

http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/14

Eurogamer also weigh in, with imo the silver lining of this 'launch',

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-radeon-rx-vega-revealed

Might get the cutdown one once it falls below $300 after Volta launches. :lol:

edit: and yowza :shocked:

[​IMG]

#3230 gamervivek, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Lightman and pharma like this.
  11. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

And it now has allegedly a mining-specific instruction. Looks like they'll sell those Vegas allright, to captive customers at least (freeSync ppl + miners) :

#3231 entity279, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Lightman and Despoiler like this.
  12. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Being dependant on FreeSync as a major selling point isn't really a great long term strategy for AMD. I mean Nvidia could switch to Freesync or make their standard free tomorrow if they wanted too. AMD coming up with a legit competitive top-tier gpu on the other hand is much tougher...

What are the chances AMD top tier Navi will even match Volta's xx80 equivalent next time?...

pharma likes this.
  13. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I can bet on that not happening!

no-X and BRiT like this.
  14. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Isn't FreeSync/VRR part of the HDMI 2.1?

BRiT likes this.
  15. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Does anyone one know the underlying reason for min frame rates? The typical bottleneck that gets hit when it happens?

16. sonen

Newcomer

part of DP 1.2a

usually DP 1.2 needed, works even on 1.1 on my 32'' HP

Arnold Beckenbauer likes this.
  17. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Average FPS were not high enough?

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

BacBeyond likes this.
  18. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Running out of vram/ram can do that, hitting 100% cpu util can also do that. On the green side, hitting power limit also seems to affect min framerate.

19. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Vega_Microarchitecture_Technical_Overview/3.html

Guessing that means co-issuing FP+INT similar to Volta.

I'm not saying AMD is dependent on FreeSync, but gaming in general benefits heavily from the feature regardless of which vendor implements it. Any gamer should have FreeSync/GSync at the top of their list when building a new system. I'd think it's a matter of time before Nvidia adopts FreeSync while still supporting GSync as a superior solution. Albeit with less royalties.

Going off one of those spider graphs, it was Battlefield that was messing up 1080 with a really low minimum. Under DX12 they probably had periodic stalls due to resource management.

BacBeyond likes this.
  20. pharma

Veteran Regular

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...-product-stack-features-released-ahead-launch

DavidGraham likes this.