AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

The anti-mining strategy is the power draw, and the price... I look at the bundle thing as a way to, somehow, let you believe that the watercooled vega is worth 699. My guess is they can't produce a lot of them, so they propose it in that kind of bundle...

I guess aircooled vega + custom waterblock by EK or XSPC will cost less...

Otherwise, not so much. In fact, I think AMD knows it, and has deliberately made the liquid-cooled Vega a bundle-only part precisely because it knows it either can’t sell enough cards at that price to make any money or because they’re only planning a very limited run in the first place.
This is my interpretation of the LC in bundle only. A real pity since that was the card I was planning on getting at $599. Guess I'm waiting for AIB versions instead, though worried about the price/perf...

Bundles are the anti-mining strategy as stated by AMD and partners recently.
Doesn't clockspeed have little effect on mining from the FE tests? It's more about the bandwidth available. And the power draw on the LC obviously a big factor as well.

Bundles are the anti-mining strategy as stated by AMD and partners recently. So while not ideal, it does help gamers when keeping product on shelves is difficult.
The bundling page lists for germany no FreeSync display and the not-so-brand-new-anymore Sniper Elite 4 instead of the upcoming Wolfenstein II (and yes, there is a special german version which removes the swastikas).

Maybe our electricity cost is high enough to discourage mining.

Far Cry 5 and Futuremark will support rapid-packed math, so those should give a good indication of vega architectural improvements relative to older GCN variants.

Anyone wondering where all the die size of Vega went, wonder no more.

It has 45MB of SRAM on die. GP100 has 23MB, GV100 has 33MB.
God knows what they're doing with all of that and still somehow being hungrier for bandwidth.

Far Cry 5 and Futuremark will support rapid-packed math, so those should give a good indication of vega architectural improvements relative to older GCN variants.

Well Futuremark is (IMHO) mostly irrelevant, but Far Cry 5 is really nice news. Where did you get that info? Do they say it's coming for the PC version or did they just mention the PS4 Pro version?

EDIT: Found it:

So Ubisoft's Dunia is the first second engine to officially support FP16 shaders in the PC.

EDIT2:

Nope, Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (2 months away) with idTech6 is bringing the whole thing: Vulkan, FP16 and intrinsic shaders (like Doom before it).

fwogKg2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Futuremark is (IMHO) mostly irrelevant, but Far Cry 5 is really nice news. Where did you get that info? Do they say it's coming for the PC version or did they just mention the PS4 Pro version?

It's mentioned in a batch of Rx Vega videos that AMD released today or yesterday. I think it's stated that the futuremark demo shows at least a 15% improvement with rpm, but I'm just going from memory having watched it earlier today.

Get ready for some cringe-worthy pr hyperbole when watching these vids.

How so? Miners were spending $500 on 290s and chartering 747s to fly them around. Couple that to lower core clocks, at significantly reduced power, as bandwidth is more important and they are likely very energy efficient.

From what I know from my mining experience, 290 are viewed like "oh, I've this old card around, why not using it", and that was when ETH was so high that you didn't care about energy. Now, it's another story. That's why 580/570 ,and 1060 are "hot", good perf/low conso. I have 24mh/s with a 80w 1060. 31mh/sec with a 180w Fury X. And I live in France where energy doesn't cost too much. With the altcoins being down right now, I won't add a 180w+ card for mining, it make no sense.

I'm not saying Vega won't be used by some miners, but I really doubt it will be out of stock because of it like r570/580 and 1060s were/are in some places.

Yeah I know, but, I meant, gamer cards... Tegra X1 have "fast" fp16 too I believe.
Well high end cards its just this . But if games start to support fp 16 intel intergrated stuff could see performance increases that will help more people play the games. Esp if updating older games to take advantage of it isn't that hard

Will Volta have fp16 too ? If so, yes, I don't see why Futuremark should ignoring this. It's a new feature...

I don't think it should matter if Volta supports it. It's a real performance enhancing feature that will be used in games. I think omitting it would be more unfair and unrepresentative.

It seems Scott's Fury X review really got to them, not only did they ask him to join them but are totally focusing on that metric to the point where people are wondering if the averages aren't good enough.

http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/14

Eurogamer also weigh in, with imo the silver lining of this 'launch',

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-radeon-rx-vega-revealed

Might get the cutdown one once it falls below $300 after Volta launches. :LOL:

Not going to lie if wolf 2 comes with the 56cu edition at $400 it will be worth it to me to upgrade as long as performance is above a 1070. I can ditch my old 290 get a big performance upgrade and a game i was already going to buy.

Back