AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
first of all plasma tv died because they could only make to 720p while lcds were 1080 and all the marketing spend convincing people that the technology used to overcome its deficiencies were "something good'.

On the price aspect it could be as easy as loan money just as you do with smartphone and companies always sells their smartphones unlocked for those who want it. And its the same thing pay 600 for a smartphone in a day or 50% more over 2 years you are still paying a lot of money for a electronic device and companies like Apple and Samsung makes dozen of thousands of millions every year selling that.

I'm not talking about specifics examples because that has no statistical impact at all BUT one thing that always makes me feel like burning in hell is seems those pics of people spending 5k dollars in PC and pairing it with 50 dollars logitec speakers...(yes the good quality speakers are a nich unfortunately but even them(or at least their brothers, the headphones) have a new chances with the VR since the more realistic, detail and rich the sound is, the more realistic the experience will be.

Getting back to the topic and as I said before, under 1k dollars the price doesn't matter if the people feel they "need" it. Apple and samsung learned how to make people "needing" they devices, we need to wait and see if HTC and the others took note. Maybe not in the first generation but the next ones will.

Also the VR will get a huge jump with the new consoles, if the rumors are true(which they seems to be). The next couple of years are going to be very interesting in the PC market space, I for one cant wait to see and feel it.

Getting back to the topic and as I said before, under 1k dollars the price doesn't matter if the people feel they "need" it.
Of course it matters. Stop being ridiculous. Almost nobody goes into a store and drops a full $1k on a smartphone, vast majority of people are on contracts (2 years typically around where I live.)

That you seem to think you've found a pattern of spending doesn't mean it actually exists. Most people don't have the kind of income that they can spend $1k on consumer goods, which is why games consoles for example sell increasingly poorly the closer to 1k they're priced. The same thing can be said for TVs or any other piece of equipment you care to choose.

Most people don't buy aluminium macbooks for $1k+, they buy plastic HP or Dell or LG or whatever that cost $500 or less.

Of course it matters. Stop being ridiculous. Almost nobody goes into a store and drops a full $1k on a smartphone, vast majority of people are on contracts (2 years typically around where I live.)

That you seem to think you've found a pattern of spending doesn't mean it actually exists. Most people don't have the kind of income that they can spend $1k on consumer goods, which is why games consoles for example sell increasingly poorly the closer to 1k they're priced. The same thing can be said for TVs or any other piece of equipment you care to choose.

Most people don't buy aluminium macbooks for $1k+, they buy plastic HP or Dell or LG or whatever that cost $500 or less.
You should read the whole paragraph.

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

first of all plasma tv died because they could only make to 720p while lcds were 1080 and all the marketing spend convincing people that the technology used to overcome its deficiencies were "something good'.

That is so wrong on so many levels that I cant read anything more you post without thinking every word you write is also a lie.

C'mon guys don't derail this thread. If you want to hand waive you just need to pull the normal-distribution card to bring your argument, but not like this, completely surreal perception stuff.

Quite the party.
thCSaDS.gif

nsfwish.

https://twitter.com/killyourfm/status/736599384738009090

AMD Radeon RX 480: Doom at 1440p and 144 Hz

AMD has demoed Radeon RX 480 at Polaris editors days. The demonstration was showing yet announced RX 480 graphics rendering graphics in OpenGL API at 1440p resolution. The editor of PCWorld noticed that the monitor (Lenovo Y27F) can only output 1080p resolution, so the demo was most likely using VSR (Virtual Super Resolution). It’s also worth noting that this monitor has 144 Hz refresh rate.

AMD has inadvertently confirmed that they are planning to launch Polaris 10 as X80 solution, which usually means 250-300 USD price tag. Although no detailed information was provided alongside this leak (leak, because twit was later removed), it is believed that R9 480 can provide more frames at 1440p than R9 380X is able to deliver at 1080p. If Polaris 10 is capable of sustaining 60 FPS at 1440p, then performance-wise it would be put between R9 390X and R9 Nano.
http://videocardz.com/60561/amd-shows-off-radeon-rx-480-running-doom-at-1440p144hz

So 480X @ $250? Probably Fury non X performance below 4K? A shocker.

If they can have Fury (non X) performances in most game, or even better in some (due to 8gb of ram and enhanced architecture), with lower heat outpout, I guess they can allow themself to sell it around 300$, or a little more. I wonder how many Fury chip they're still having in stock though...

If they can have Fury (non X) performances in most game, or even better in some (due to 8gb of ram and enhanced architecture), with lower heat outpout, I guess they can allow themself to sell it around 300$, or a little more. I wonder how many Fury chip they're still having in stock though...

Thing for me is that I doubt nvidia couldn't sell the 1070 for 300$ if they wanted to. They're probably making quite a bit at the current price. Yet despite this, its performance is up there with all the previous high end. AMD should at the least have tried to deliver a comparable jump, at least compared to their own cards, if they didn't, it's a tad disappointing.

Thing for me is that I doubt nvidia couldn't sell the 1070 for 300$ if they wanted to. They're probably making quite a bit at the current price. Yet despite this, its performance is up there with all the previous high end. AMD should at the least have tried to deliver a comparable jump, at least compared to their own cards, if they didn't, it's a tad disappointing.

Fury performance is up there with previous high end tho and if its smaller than the 1070 it really wouldn't matter what Nvidia can drop the 1070 to as amd would still make money.

If its faster than the fury at x or better performance then NVidia could be in trouble.

We wont know till the end of june

A big consideration with that demo is that it is 1080p monitor (so meant to be using AMD's VSR) and critically they are mentioning using FreeSync, which is probably why they also used a 144Hz monitor to showcase that ability as well.
So unfortunately not only do we not know the settings, and we do not know what the fps was (could be locked at 90fps/60fps/or running better).
I assume all of this info is probably under the NDA.

Cheers

Has there been any leak of a chip or board picture for either Polaris 10 or 11?

AMD has been very careful about not letting anyone see what their cards and cooling solutions might look like.
It's almost as if the form factor itself is one of their biggest secrets.

Has there been any leak of a chip or board picture for either Polaris 10 or 11?

AMD has been very careful about not letting anyone see what their cards and cooling solutions might look like.
It's almost as if the form factor itself is one of their biggest secrets.

They probably could go Nano size as a reference. Not sure how 8GB of VRAM would fit though.

They probably could go Nano size as a reference. Not sure how 8GB of VRAM would fit though.

I really don't see how they could possibly pull that off with GDDR5. However, they might have a good cooler with a decent finish, for once.

The 1070 has 8GB using 8x 8Gbit chips.
With some imaginative component placement, the Asus 970 Mini had 8* 4Gbit chips in the front of the card:
tyixjz.jpg

EDIT:

And Gigabyte's mini 970 had 4 GDDR5 chips on top + 4 on the bottom, making it just as wide as the card's shield:

KDMDlu.jpg

MnYJAq.jpg

EDIT2:
And what if Polaris 11's reference form factor for desktops is actually low-profile instead of just Mini-ITX?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get the hate for this Polaris10 card. If it's roughly in the range of Fury Nano, Fury X, GTX980, but for $250-300 and low power, isn't that pretty good? I get that people want a $500+ monster, but that still seems like a pretty decent card. Should be $75-100 cheaper than a GTX 1070. Good price point for budget gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back