AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

You shouldn't be using a PC at all. The PC originally came with the 8088, the original Celeron so to speak, and the crappy graphics was a costly option, you could get the graphics card that only does text instead.

Ah, the fond memories of having to choose between monochrome text display or splurging for a CGA card capable of displaying a whopping 16 colors on an 8 MB/s bus. :D

Regards,
SB

Some really bad colours at that. What was that...magenta? Who picked those colours?

edit - was Fuschia apparently. Yeah that would have been one of my choices as well. :???:

edit2 - was right first time. Magenta and Cyan, yeah what a combo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some really bad colours at that. What was that...magenta? Who picked those colours?

edit - was Fuschia apparently. Yeah that would have been one of my choices as well. :???:

edit2 - was right first time. Magenta and Cyan, yeah what a combo!

Magenta = full blue + full red
Cyan = full blue + full green
Yellow = full red + full green

These are also known as the subtractive primary colors. Makes perfect sense if you want a simple color pallete.

Magenta = full blue + full red
Cyan = full blue + full green
Yellow = full red + full green

These are also known as the subtractive primary colors. Makes perfect sense if you want a simple color pallete.

It looked really terrible though. I suppose any limited pallete will look bad but jeez some of those Cyan and Magenta screenshots were eye-bleeders.

prince_cga.png

(one of the better ones)
I had a spectrum with a similarly limited pallete but it didn't seem nearly so bad as CGA. I can't remember the details - was it just more colours or different ones?

It looked really terrible though. I suppose any limited pallete will look bad but jeez some of those Cyan and Magenta screenshots were eye-bleeders.

prince_cga.png

(one of the better ones)
I had a spectrum with a similarly limited pallete but it didn't seem nearly so bad as CGA. I can't remember the details - was it just more colours or different ones?

Not sure why they would have used those colors. There are other colors to choose from, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

Edit: ah I see now. You only got 16 colors in text mode. Graphics mode only gave you 4 colors, ugh!

Edit: ah I see now. You only got 16 colors in text mode. Graphics mode only gave you 4 colors, ugh!

Yup. that's one of the main reasons I bought an Apple ][ for game playing (well not ONLY for game playing). :D I thought of going with a C64, but the C64 being sold in K-mart was just a turn off, besides I think I got my first Apple ][ a couple years before the C64 came out.

Although to be fair, EGA was soon out which allowed 16 colors in graphics mode, but most games still stuck to CGA graphics through most of the 80's, IIRC.

Regards,
SB

Yup. that's one of the main reasons I bought an Apple ][ for game playing (well not ONLY for game playing). :D I thought of going with a C64, but the C64 being sold in K-mart was just a turn off, besides I think I got my first Apple ][ a couple years before the C64 came out.

Although to be fair, EGA was soon out which allowed 16 colors in graphics mode, but most games still stuck to CGA graphics through most of the 80's, IIRC.
My first computer was a used Apple ][. My dad even picked up a CP/M card (Z80-B with 128KB of RAM) for it thinking it would be compatible with his Vector Graphics machine at work (it wasn't). The CP/M card could act as a RAM drive, which was cool. Later, I got a brand new Apple ][e with a monochrome monitor and dual floppy drives! I think that cost around $2300 back then (1984)...

Those were the days...

Yup AMD is doing a whole lot better on developer relations and communicating that fact than the old GITG. And their promotions are quite good. The games included recently aren't just niche or fringe games, but major releases that have been hotly anticipated for a while.

Regards,
SB

Hey I spent my formative computer years on my XT w/CGA graphics. I was very envious of my friends family XT w/EGA.

Hey I spent my formative computer years on my XT w/CGA graphics. I was very envious of my friends family XT w/EGA.

I still remember being extremely envious of this one gentleman that I knew that spent over 10,000 USD for a new 486 with a VGA card to do ray tracing research back in 1989. :D

Regards,
SB

NEC V20 with monochrome Hercules card and a 30MB HD. The games used color emulation... I shudder when I think about it. (That was after my Commodore 128.)

NEC V20 with monochrome Hercules card and a 30MB HD. The games used color emulation... I shudder when I think about it. (That was after my Commodore 128.)

You know what if i can clean them a bit, i will put my AtariST + his own HDD ( SH205 ) and too my old Hercules cards photos ( i say if if clean them, because they lie there since 15- 20 years and im a damn smoker ) .. the funny thing, this damn 80' computer is still working ( i will surely finish by sold it to a museum )

Yup AMD is doing a whole lot better on developer relations and communicating that fact than the old GITG. And their promotions are quite good. The games included recently aren't just niche or fringe games, but major releases that have been hotly anticipated for a while.

Regards,
SB

i think " on this part" , Nvidia should to worried a bit, because all big games of the last 4 - 6 months ( outside Borderland 2 ) have been part of Gaming Evolved .. and the list of games of 2013 is long, including BF4..

I see many post on the forums from Nvidia owners who start by " its a Gaming evolved games.. "we have profit of the TWITMP programm, who was bring problem on games release with AMD , Now this is our turn "

( I just hope this will not turn bad for all.. by all, i mean gamers.. If Nvidia and AMD enter this war plenty, the only loosers will be the gamers " .

Regards,
SB

It is greater than good in fact...imho. Its like..AMD is more active in hearing the internet opnions....so nice to see AMD working on the software (games + drivers)....those are the parts affecting their uber cool GPU designs trailing Nvidia in overall benchmark scores....

So, one question.
Since Bonaire chip is the first representative of the Sea Islands family, and perhaps Malta's half- the second, will Sea Islands belong only to 7000 series, or to both 7000 and 8000, and more importantly- why?

Roy's been with us for 3 months; most of the activities even for the latest batch of title releases were set in motion early in 2012. Certainly he's very eager for us to continue in this direction, but this is all part of the path that was set out when Gaming Evolved was announced, with some help from the new management in place. And this leads in to the wider unified gaming strategy that has Radeon underpinned at the core hardware across a wide breadth of high performance gaming platforms.

So, one question.
Since Bonaire chip is the first representative of the Sea Islands family, and perhaps Malta's half- the second, will Sea Islands belong only to 7000 series, or to both 7000 and 8000, and more importantly- why?

As far as I understand it, Sea Islands is more like a rather generic family name for all the new chips that AMD will release or has released this year. If a chip belongs to the Sea Islands family of code names, then that doesn't tell you very much about what 'generation' that chip is part of.

Regards,
SB

AMD mid range cards are easily the better buy right now because of this.
AMD are giving away tomb raider/bioshock infinite while nvidia are giving away credits for F2P games.

Zero contest as far as free game promotions go.

Back