AMD: R9xx Speculation

Woah, Mineral is only slightly slower than HD5870 and Fire is actually faster. Blimey, I was expecting the transcendentals and already very high VLIW-5 utilisation in those to produce a notable deficit for HD6970.

:LOL: at NVidia's water demo being slower on HD6970 than HD5870 with LOD higher than 1...

6970 looks like awesome value so far, if it beats GTX 570 performance I may have to give in. I really want to wait for the next real gen, not the half gen, but at £280 it could be awesome!

Kyle is impressed

AMD is launching its new Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950. These two GPUs round out AMD’s high-end Radeon HD 6000 family of single-GPU video cards. Priced surprisingly low for the performance, these two cards are ready to to deliver solid value in the high end market place. Spending your holiday cash wisely, just got easy.

THIS REVIEW WILL BE PUBLISHED AT 12:01 PST

I realize this thread is now basically about the 69xx series but I was happy to see that gigabyte is introducing a 6870 with a balls to the walls configuration.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3663

Sweet, triple fans! :)

MSi has a 6870 using Twin Frozer 2 cooling, and purchasers seemed very impressed, but I think the PCB is basically reference. I think all 6870 boards are too.

Till now. :)

Hopefully we'll see this trend carried over quickly to the 69xx cards. Though it seems the reference vapor cooling is excellent and quiet. And the nude shots speak of high quality boards.

$370 for 6970? $499 for 580? mass 28nm delayed until Q1 2012? Bye bye 4870 1GB, hello 6970 2GB! ...i think i know what caused the delay...the back lash against 6870...made AMD accountants redo their sums. I must say we should be quite satisfied with 6970 prices. Gotta get them before the 5870 creeping prices return.:D

$370 for 6970? $499 for 580? mass 28nm delayed until Q1 2012? Bye bye 4870 1GB, hello 6970 2GB! ...i think i know what caused the delay...the back lash against 6870...made AMD accountants redo their sums. I must say we should be quite satisfied with 6970 prices. Gotta get them before the 5870 creeping prices return.:D

Just checked and the cheapest 580 on newegg is actually going for $520. Well, I guess there is only two sku's in stock. Take your pick, they're selling like hotcakes or supply is a trickle.

anyone want a 5850 haha.

Think i'm going to wait for x mass , should be getting a few hudnred bucks from that to spend on whatever.

from ixbt review, translated:

96 texture address units and the same bilinear filtering units, that can filter FP16-textures at full speed, trilinear and anisotropic filtering for all texture formats...

It's real?

Just checked and the cheapest 580 on newegg is actually going for $520. Well, I guess there is only two sku's in stock. Take your pick, they're selling like hotcakes or supply is a trickle.
Considering Gibbo@OcUK reported they already sold more 69XX series cards than GTX570's since launch... then I'd hazard a guess, that GTX580 aren't very popular either.

The video card internet is abuzz with these prices. I guess now we see the advantages of "slightly slower but a lot cheaper". More average people can actually afford these.

I just picked up a $3K check from the office as an award, so I'll probably wait until Sandy Bridge comes out and then make a purchase decision. Hopefully the drivers will have settled down by then, and we'll have some good 'final' numbers to compare with.

I forsee a LOT of driver optimization in the next three to six months with these cards, so whatever benches we see today will only get better moving into Q1 of next year.

Back