AMD: R9xx Speculation

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/24/amds-6870-coming-november/

I'm not convinced everything's working out. If a September launch was a good idea for Evergreen, why is an October/November launch better?
Evergreen was launched 23rd September, NI's are expected to be launched around 18th October. That's only 3 weeks later. Given that NI's were designed fro 32nm process and ATi had to redesign it a bit, 3 weeks don't seem to be a delay... or does it?

Evergreen was several weeks late, implying that AMD had a preference for the start of September.

Also, when did these next GPUs tape out? March?

EDIT: I'm wondering if Cayman has slipped by 2 months, putting it one month after Barts, reversing the order of last year's launch.

I think these chips are coming about as quickly as they can come, considering 32nm cancellation would have significantly upset the overall roadmap.

Besides, I don't think they have an intrinsic preference for Sept. They are more likely to be attracted by the back-to-school time than with month of the year.

Deadline for Cypress and Juniper was October 22nd last year - the launch of Windows 7 and DirectX11. And they made it both.
This year, the aim point is black friday, and hopefully AMD can meet demand this year...

Evergreen was launched 23rd September, NI's are expected to be launched around 18th October. That's only 3 weeks later. Given that NI's were designed fro 32nm process and ATi had to redesign it a bit, 3 weeks don't seem to be a delay... or does it?
this would imply there never was a 32nm chip because designs are not that portable.

I'm starting to see a possible reason for the renaming (if it is true, which I still hope it isn't).

NV's performance relative to ATI's parts has shifted down the scale relative to last gen.

Last gen it was:
GTX260=4870
GTX275=4890

This gen we have:
GTX460=Nothing yet
GTX470=5850

NV's x60 series has a good stigma around the name with enthusiasts because it was not too long ago one step from the top end. ATI's x700 series has never enjoyed the same praise from enthusiasts and is somewhat shunned because of that. Now that AMD are stepping the x700 series up to a 256-bit memory interface they want to avoid retaining the stigma the old 128-bit memory x700 series carried as to better compete with the GTX460.

I don't like it because it means a 6870 that is outperformed by the old 5870, and no proper family distinguishment between single and dual GPU cards, which is what the x900 series was meant to achieve with the dropping of the X2 suffix.

Then what is Cayman? the new 5970?
I thought that was pretty much what most of our guesstimations based on the leaked benchmarks were all about?

Given Napoleon's new performance hints, I still think Barts XT should be named HD 6850, btw: Too fast (and probably too big and too power hungry) to fall into the midrange HD 67xx category, yet not fast enough to actually beat the current HD 5870 (and thus hard to present as the new "HD 6870") ...

I thought that was pretty much what most of our guesstimations based on the leaked benchmarks were all about?

Given Napoleon's new performance hints, I still think Barts XT should be named HD 6850, btw: Too fast (and probably too big and too power hungry) to fall into the midrange HD 67xx category, yet not fast enough to actually beat the current HD 5870 (and thus hard to present as the new "HD 6870") ...

If they improved the tesselation than maybe even the Barts Pro will beat 5870 with heavy tesselation.;)

Back