AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

So, if i follow that down to it's essence, this argument is based via 3 or so intermediate stops on AMDs driver certification for OpenCL 2.0:
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-...sdk/system-requirements-driver-compatibility/

Which basically only means what they bother to certify for OpenCL and what not.

GCN1.1 and further is only said to support OpenCl2.0 by AMD. And they seem to have introduced it first in those laptop chips if Bonaire wasn't the first and it went unnoticed.

The second is that M370X beats a rather higher clocked(800 to 925) same specced M275 silly and is within 20% of a 950M at about same power envelope. And notebookcheck mention,

Our sources at AMD however also mentioned a new GCN 1.2 / 2.0 chip that the new M300 series is based on (Tonga derivate with support for DirectX 12 and Vulkan).

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M370X.142763.0.html

GCN1.1 and further is only said to support OpenCl2.0 by AMD. And they seem to have introduced it first in those laptop chips if Bonaire wasn't the first and it went unnoticed.
AMD also swore that Sea Islands wasn't an architecture name but included things like Oland, and snuck in TrueAudio into the Bonaire 7790 (and I believe it's not active on those products). Their answers to certain types of architectural questions should not be considered absolute, especially if for some reason they wanted to hide anything.

Meanwhile registers and product IDs don't lie.

I just took our review sample HD 5770, so it is basically a 1st or 2nd-batch Juniper part (first batch went to devs seeding DX11) and installed the last WHQL (Catalyst Omega 14.12).

Turns out it does indeed report OpenCL 2.0 compliancy. So even with a moustache, I call the AMD-spec-page argument invalid.
Juniper_OpenCL2.0.png

Maybe they also upgraded the entire Evergreen family 4 years ago without anyone noticing.

I stand by my earlier assumption: AMD's latest drivers bring support for OpenCL 2.0 in any OpenCL 1.2-compliant device. It's just that OpenCL 2.0-specific functions run in the CPU and that's it.

Maybe they also upgraded the entire Evergreen family 4 years ago without anyone noticing.

I stand by my earlier assumption: AMD's latest drivers bring support for OpenCL 2.0 in any OpenCL 1.2-compliant device. It's just that OpenCL 2.0-specific functions run in the CPU and that's it.

I don't think that's possible. OCL doesn't abstract over compute devices. Hence only the software developer can decide which workload runs on which device

Supposedly leaked R7 370 slide:

Vh5irjs.png

20% over Geforce 750 Ti (GM107). Sounds about right for Pitcairn:

They changed it from the R9 family to the R7 family, at least..
Also, is that a shorter PCB?

Old 7850 could perform at that level, but that would mean Radeon 370 is even slower than 270. At the same time it is too high for Bonair. Maybe there is still hope for new chip.

I thought GCN GPUs compared favorably to Maxwell in GTA V, so I assumed those 20% advantage to be a "best-case" scenario.

Back