AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 4 rasterizers in distinct blocks there.
That diagram is odd.
Frontend cotains Geometry and Rasterizer. Looks that they sapperated rasteriser and geometry professor.

Also Strang 8 prim shader in and 4 prim shader out, what does this mean.

BTW, if you guys have any questions, I'm glad to answer what I can. I've had a full arch briefing; AMD just didn't give us time to write much.
Just curious but if I understand this correctly you know more about Navi then what will be presented in the next hour? You anticipate that you won’t hear anything new?

beside other specific design, most glaring changes with Navi is that AMD practically doubled most of fixed function units while shaders count increased only marginally, from 36 - 40 CU.

no Ray Tracing mention or Primitive Shader though....

And yet doubling down on mentioning them in next gen consoles.

So, wow, that's it. That's all AMD has to offer, and at that cost?
Ryan's piece on Navi cards:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14528/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-series

Turns out it's 251mm^2. The packaging might be adding a couple of mm in each direction.

Wow... these are some terrible numbers for 7nm. It's a good thing Nvidia likes its high margin business and both Sony and MS want backwards compatibility.

Severely disappointed in AMD is an understatement. They had all the opportunity in the world with Turing offering so little in terms of price vs performance and performance per mm. And this is all they deliver?

Edit - Ryan where on earth did all these extra transistors go? Is the front end and fixed function units really big enough to account for doubling the transistor count with almost no extra CU's compared to Polaris?

Just curious but if I understand this correctly you know more about Navi then what will be presented in the next hour? You anticipate that you won’t hear anything new?
The press has been fully briefed on Navi. I don't know about anything else AMD is presenting, and all of our embargoes have ended.
Is RDNA 2 the arc that will be featured in consoles?
My understanding (emphasis on that term) is that the consoles are Navi + some custom extras. Mainly, the RT hardware. I do not know if it'll be the same RT hardware as in RDNA 2. AMD doesn't talk about future products and they definitely don't talk about customers' semi-custom silicon.
Is the rumored change to 8 shader engines true?
I haven't heard anything about this (even the rumor).
Thank you Ryan!
My questions:
How does the new Frontend working? What are „Prim Units“ and why they have 4 out and 8 in?
It's Vega's primitive shader. You can use it to cull polygons at a rapid rate. From Vega: "A new shader stage that runs in place of the usual vertex and geometry shader path, the primitive shader allows for the high speed discarding of hidden/unnecessary primitives. Along with improving the total primitive rate, discarding primitives is the next best way to improve overall geometry performance, especially as game geometry gets increasingly fine, and very small, overdrawn triangles risk choking the GPU."

By far my biggest disappointment is price a 250mm die with 8gb memory , last time AMD had one of those it sold for $240 USD.

instead of NAVI maybe i will toss up the idea of strapping an AIO on my vega 56............

Things change quite a bit once your main competitor start pricing its products upwards of $1000...because..."fuck it! we can!"..the market has changed... At the end of the day a Radeon VII doesn't seem like a bad investment after all for someone who doesn't want a GPU only for gaming. Actually it's a really good offering for content creators.

Last edited:
There's actually two SEs on the block diagram.

Well then there's the 20 per SE from last year's Vega mobile update.

https://www.computerbase.de/2019-06/navi-radeon-rx-5700-xt/#bilder has lots of slides down the botom,

shows that there is L2, L1 , L0 cache design.

Much gratitude.

Also explains why Arcturus and 5nm suddenly disappeared in favor of 7nm+ and "next gen" next year.

Feels like a halfway point for developing Sony/MS specd consoles. I'd second the call for detailed culling and Geo tests. Those transistors had to go somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back