AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The L2 was at least implicitly the LLC in previous generations, so having a separate reference now may mean a distinct layer is present.
    There may be other considerations. There are various no_alloc values, but the L2-related ones are no_alloc without LLC in the name, while others like SDMA have no-allocation values that do name the LLC.
    Would that mean those flags are for bypassing the L2 in favor of a separate layer, or is it something like the L2 has no need for a redundant LLC designation since that is what it is?

Some kind of display controller self-refresh from a local memory might work.
    It's a possible interpretation, although 128MB has shown up as a limit for buffers in compute or graphics in other instances.
    Another possibility is that 128 * 1024 * 1024 isn't a size in bytes. Some references have values like maxTexelBufferElements = 128 * 1024 * 1024, which may explain the curious way of subdividing 2^27.
    https://phabricator.pmoreau.org/file/data/5btjflw6ul4wk3qrodo2/PHID-FILE-s3kiruzwymgchgag3eid/file
    That wouldn't point to a cache that's literally 128MB in size, just a possible addressing limit for some of the hardware that might require additional units or the driver to intervene, and that might be self-defeating going by code that has microsecond time constants and might be for low-power operation.

w0lfram, NightAntilli, Jawed and 2 others like this.
  2. pTmdfx

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, that is what I meant by "memory-side LLC".

I am leaning towards it independently controlling the access behaviours when it hits the memory-side LLC controller, whereas L2 as a GPU internal cache continues to be controlled by the instruction-level SLC bit (likewise for GLC/L0 and DLC/L1). Otherwise, if one assumes LLC=L2, it would mean a slight departure from GCN/RDNA 1's approach of per-instruction cache policy selection for all levels of GPU internal caches.

3. andermans

Newcomer

I think you're linking to Intel though, which indeed has weird limits, but I don't think I've seen that particular limit before for GCN/RDNA? From the next patch actually initializing surface_size I think it clearly shows it is bytes: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/amd-gfx/2020-October/055215.html

Though I agree that the 128 Mi might only point to a cache limit but we do not know for sure. Furthermore, from just an enable/disable it is hard to know for sure what MALL is anyway.

Jawed likes this.
  4. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I was giving the Intel link as an example of where that convention of breaking a size value down into that expression comes up for a non-capacity reason.

edit: nevermind, missed a parenthetical
    That code seems to clarify what the source is.

BRiT likes this.
  5. Erinyes

Regular

It was more or less a given that both Ampere and RDNA2 would have AV1 decode acceleration, especially for the consoles. I expect their Cezanne APU to also get the updated decode block even though it's rumored to be based on Vega.

~9 hours to go. The wait is almost over!

Wasmachineman_NL and Lightman like this.
  6. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It seems like an infinitely long time.

Pete, Lightman and Erinyes like this.
  7. Putas

Regular Newcomer

Wrap yourself in a cozy fabric.

Pete, Lightman and Erinyes like this.
  8. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Maybe I'll open my good ol Can of Whoopass(tm) tonight.

Malo, Wesker, Lightman and 1 other person like this.
  9. Wasmachineman_NL

Newcomer

Has it been confirmed somewhere if RDNA2 is SIMD or VLIW?

10. andermans

Newcomer

Instruction set should be almost equal to Navi1x (which is pretty close to GCN), so no VLIW involved.

Wasmachineman_NL likes this.
  11. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.