AMD Mantle API [updating]

Look like Optix ( who is effectively not new ) is just for creating pre rendered scene with raytracing ? ( just on the left side of the slide " Nvidia GPU farm " )

Anyway, maybe we should discuss this live Nvidia event in the dedicated thread.

optix seems to be a part...: Gameworks library: VisualFX SDK, graphics library, PhysX SDK, Core SDK, Game Compute Library. Optix SDK

Last edited by a moderator:
Essential principle #4: Don’t break games

While Mantle is uniquely optimized for PCs containing the Graphics Core Next architecture, we recognize there other architectures in the market. Gamers with these architectures deserve good gameplay just as much as anyone else, and we have t designed Mantle in a way that respects their right to game well.

Developers using Mantle are free to implement whatever optimizations they choose to maximize the performance of their game for everyone. Now, more than ever, Mantle assures that the choices a developer must make to optimize their game code for the leading PC graphics architectures are non-interfering choices.

WTF does this mean?
"Don't worry, developing for Mantle won't create bugs if you're playing with a nVidia card using DirectX"?
Was that ever a concern?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2013/10/17/the-four-core-principles-of-amd-s-mantle said:
“Mantle will be exposing a large variety of hardware features not currently available in existing graphics APIs. Those features will be used to improve graphics performance and to allow new graphics algorithms to be implemented.”
Ooh so maybe they will push things :)

And yeah, #4 doesn't seem to say much... oh well heh. I guess they're saying they won't make deals with developers that preclude optimizations on standard APIs?

#4 is clever marketing speak. Take something that has a strong possibility of splitting the PC gaming market in half but make it look like it's a good thing because it can't directly hobble the competition (due to bypassing DirectX). Just don't mention that it is designed to kill of DirectX, and the competition with it but yeah...that's marketing for you. :smile:

Just give us benchmarks. If its +10% many will not be impressed, if its ~25-30% then 7970 users will have better framerate than Titan, and if its more than that... then people will REALLY start paying attention.

Just don't mention that it is designed to kill of DirectX, and the competition with it but yeah...that's marketing for you. :smile:
I don't think the destruction of DX would be in anyones' best interests, including AMD's. I seriously doubt that is a goal of theirs.

Developers using Mantle are free to implement whatever optimizations they choose to maximize the performance of their game for everyone.

Yes this is worded very ambiguously and could be taken several ways.

Yes this is worded very ambiguously and could be taken several ways.

Exactly, which is why I really hate these statements. They have nothing to say, but they're trying to say something nice without stating anything and making no compromises.

All I can think of is AMD saying "Hey, we're enjoying the spotlight very much so here's a couple of sentences with no meaning to see if some of you can still be convinced that we're not bad guys".

How I hate PR spins...

Perhaps this needs its own thread since it's 2 events in one. If so, please move this post/image there.
EKbKP2I.jpg

Someone from SCE is going to make a presentation about designing a game audio engine, right after a presentation about Wwise..

Does this increase the chances of the PS4 having TrueAudio?

I think shape's more general purpose, while truaudio seems targeted to environment modeling
they are both using tensilica cores though

I don't think the destruction of DX would be in anyones' best interests, including AMD's. I seriously doubt that is a goal of theirs.

It's easy to get into the mindset of "anyone" when you're the incumbent though. AMD doesn't and never has seen it that way. They are looking at a shift - a monumental shift.

I'm sure we can all envisage how this started out and just snowballed into what it is now. Mantle would have been the finishing move for Intel or Nvidia and we all know it. The only reason we're doubting it is because it's AMD.

We always talk about cross-platform compatibility when discussing these APIs, but reading this link made me wonder about forward compatibility issues as well. For example:

The preeminence of Graphics Core Next is the hardware answer to these concerns, unifying the console ecosystem (and much of the PC market) under a common graphics architecture.

How long does AMD expect GCN to be preeminent? It's already two years old. The more GCN specific stuff they expose, the more restrictions they create on their future architectures. Traditionally, GPU architectures evolve quickly - I would think the close to the metal API for a DX 7 GPU would be very different from the corresponding API for a DX 9 GPU, for example. It's true that the consoles will be around for a while - but Mantle is for PCs. Is AMD promising that all their PC GPUs for the next n years will be GCN based?

How long does AMD expect GCN to be preeminent? It's already two years old. The more GCN specific stuff they expose, the more restrictions they create on their future architectures. Traditionally, GPU architectures evolve quickly - I would think the close to the metal API for a DX 7 GPU would be very different from the corresponding API for a DX 9 GPU, for example. It's true that the consoles will be around for a while - but Mantle is for PCs. Is AMD promising that all their PC GPUs for the next n years will be GCN based?

Several years, I should think. The era of rapidly changing graphics mcroarchitectures is over. Besides, AFAICT, Mantle only exposes GCN specific command processor stuff, nothing shader related. So there is not much to change here anyway.

To put a fine point on it, Mantle is a graphics language that’s symbiotic with the Graphics Core Next architecture

WTF, mr. Taylor said: Our industry doesn’t like proprietary standards :LOL:

Nobody should be surprised in the least by hypocrisy from any company with respect to proprietary standards. Fact is that it is an effective way to gain a competitive advantage in an area where the rest of the industry is stagnating. Proprietary tech is only bad when it was the other guy's idea ;)

Back