*Amazon FireTV

Amazon FireTV for $100:

5F0BMKC.jpg

And then the controller costs $40. It's the same controller we saw in the last page of this thread.

Amazon said:
1,000 Amazon coins
Because we actually make almost zero profit so we've invented our own currency and we are guzillionairs!

Wow, so anti-climatic. The only thing that sounds cool is FreeTime, if it works well. I would not want to game on it and don't care about voice control. Chromcast is much better for the money.

It's Amazon so -1 for US centric. If you want a laugh go check out the Canadian Amazon store.

Cheers

It'll come for other markets eventually.

I'm still a bit shocked that their Kindle Fire HDX line (for tiny screen) has had a Snapdragon 800 for over half a year now. But for their media+gaming console that connects to >40-inch 1080p TVs they chose a SoC that has about half of the HDX's gaming performance.

They go ahead and buy whole game developer studios, build a dedicated gamepad, sign lots of contracts with big-name publishers and then they screw it all by saving too much on the SoC?

What gives? Did they hire Nintendo to chose the hardware for them?

Wow, so anti-climatic. The only thing that sounds cool is FreeTime, if it works well. I would not want to game on it and don't care about voice control. Chromcast is much better for the money.
:D :D Anti-climatic? Count on me to be an Amazon, I mean the typical ones from the greek mythology, and the first fangirl of the new device. :)

Wonder whey they hired the KI developers, though. We shall see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC/15-24-20/

It's a Snapdragon 600 using LPDDR2, so 4*Krait 300 cores with Adreno 320 and 2GB 533MHz RAM. Meh..
And here I thought this would be the best birthplace for a Snapdragon 805...

They could at least have used a Tegra 4.

So it's less powerful than my phone :/ Why not equip it with Tegra 4 or PowerVR SGX543MP4 or Mali-T604 or Adreno 330 at the least?

They wanted to hit a price point and it sounds like the emphasis is on video, not games.

Even if it had more power, it doesn't seem like they're interested in courting console games development.

Hard to sell too many $60 games on a $100 device, which would actually have to be upgraded to have more storage, possibly an optical drive -- then no longer be a $100 device.

They wanted to hit a price point and it sounds like the emphasis is on video, not games.

Even if it had more power, it doesn't seem like they're interested in courting console games development.

Hard to sell too many $60 games on a $100 device, which would actually have to be upgraded to have more storage, possibly an optical drive -- then no longer be a $100 device.
Regardless of not being focused on games, this essentially just goes to say how important games have become these days.

Well quite underwhelming hardware, software seems to be OK.
Could have some success as a STB. It sound weird that they are "allegedly" developing for "that" device, the device is available now, games? Along with the V2 /refresh? Or if it sales decently?

I guess they really are testing water, if it does ok I could see them investing in a (gaming) cloud service.

Maybe mobile or casual games. Not necessarily console games.

Console games sales were down, weren't they?

Slow part of the year and no blockbuster release but we'll see.

It's Amazon so -1 for US centric. If you want a laugh go check out the Canadian Amazon store.

Cheers

Was also my first reaction... can I buy this outside the US ? Looks like you can not. Here in the Netherlands it's possible to get a Kindle via the official channels, but something like Prime is not available here. Looks like they support Netflix, Youtube, so it's not an Amazon-only device, so maybe there's a chance you can buy it here as well. Otherwise, I'm sure there will be ways....

On the other hand, I think Apple has to step it up. Put some gaming and apps support into the AppleTV with decent gesture support. Maybe later this year when the iPhone 6 supports 1080p ?

I still am unclear, is this thing streaming games ala Onlive, or playing them direct locally?

The games actually looked pretty good to me at first, but oin a bigger screen they do exhibit weakness. But still, you can really see diminishing returns here cause they dont actually look too horrible, despite the box possessing I'm guessing <1/20 the power of a PS4 or X1.

That said, I think Chromecast is one of the real problems here. Why spend $99 for this (excluding the games aspect) with Chromecast out there? Have to think Google was disruptive and smarter there.

Another big problem as Gaffers keep mentioning is the controller being sold separately instantly means it probably wont be supported enough.

And yeah, the chipset seems disappointing also. I guess we can be glad the $300 price point was bunk tho.

I'm going to assume they'll keep updating it every year though. So the weakling chipset shouldn't be a problem forever.

Overall the Android consoles in a way continue to establish a beachhead, but I dont think they can challenge the niche the box consoles serve with their $100 million budget games aimed at younger males just yet.

Also, it's kind of sad to me Amazon coopted probably the most compelling use of $150 Kinect with probably a 50 cent microphone in the remote (voice search). Seems like probably a smarter approach.

Really the sole thing that kills it for me is the lack of a more cutting edge chipset. It's always about power, I have been saying this for so many years. :)

Definitely seems like a ill fated tweener device from a gaming perspective. Which is the problem that befalls all these Android consoles so far.

I'd like to see one with a cutting edge chipset, $99 or less with controller, open, very emulation friendly, and with it's own high production value 1st party games as well. Pretty tall order though, especially now that Amazon seems out of the running.

The more the merrier. Targets a different gamer market than PS4 and X1, but I don't see why there can't be a profitable business there for them. Cheap downloadable games on a cheap box connected to the tv. Why not? Mobile game pricing on your television doesn't sound that bad. Tons of good indie games out there that would be a good fit.

Amazon isn't chasing profits.

They're not making money from the Kindle Fire reportedly.

But bringing out their me-too devices props them on the same plane as Google, MS and Apple.

Amazon isn't chasing profits.

They're not making money from the Kindle Fire reportedly.

But bringing out their me-too devices props them on the same plane as Google, MS and Apple.

Does that include the content and subscriptions they sell?

Nobody knows for sure because Amazon isn't saying how many Kindles they've sold or how many Prime memberships they sell.

Or whether they sell more Prime memberships when they release the Kindle.

I think it's educated guesses from people who follow the company.

It's kind of like Facebook buying Whatsapp and Oculus Rift. They're paranoid so while they're flush, they buy up other companies just in case, so they will overpay and hope the market doesn't punish the stock, which is the currency they use to finance these acquisitions.

FB buys things, Amazon tries to develop products like other big tech companies, etc.

A mod on Amazon said this is more powerful than Vita. Is that right?

From what little i googled I thought the Adreno 320 was below the GPU in Vita SGX543MP4.

Maybe he's including the 2GB RAM, etc as an overall advantage?

Back