Am I annoying you guys?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I've re-read chapter 4 in my book (Interactive Graphics: A top down approach using OpenGL) about 3-4 times and I'm not learning anything new.

Should I go to the next chapter?
Can you guys give me a test on geometric objects and transformations so I know if I should go on to the next chapter?
I've done the questions in the back of the chapter very easily.

I just want you guys to tell me if I'm read to move on.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I've re-read chapter 4 in my book (Interactive Graphics: A top down approach using OpenGL) about 3-4 times and I'm not learning anything new.

Can you guys give me a test on geometric objects and transformations so I know if I should go on to the next chapter?

I think you already know the answer.

So would it be a good idea to roughly re-read the chapter?
Can someone give me a test. I really need to know this stuff.

K.I.L.E.R said:
So would it be a good idea to roughly re-read the chapter?
Can someone give me a test. I really need to know this stuff.

If it's so important that you know this stuff, speed read it. If you know that stuff, just shuffle through it till you get to a point you don't know about.
You said you've already done the test on the book very easily.

I need to know what you guys know and the end of chapter questions are basic, I could have done them without all my current knowledge.

rabidrabbit said:
Do your own homework :)

Don't have any. I'm on my holidays currently and I'm speed studying.
Practically getting 3-4 months of work within a week and a bit.
That's why I'm being such a bitch. :D

Ok,

First, explain Gimbal Lock and why Euler angles are affected by it. Provide examples showing how this can be a problem in 3D graphics.

Next, provide a way that this can be avoided using matrix transformations. Account for rounding error that may result in sheering or stretching of the matrix.

Finally, describe a better system for doing order-independent rotations and transformations. Show how this method results in the desired transformation where Euler angles fail.

Nite_Hawk

I have to say "WTF?".:p
Those things weren't covered in the chapter.:???:

I just searched the back of the book for Euler's method and stuff.
That's in chapter 10 and it has a crapload of maths with it.
I'm only on chapter 5 now. :eek:

Nite_Hawk said:
Ok,

First, explain Gimbal Lock and why Euler angles are affected by it. Provide examples showing how this can be a problem in 3D graphics.

Quaternions can solve problem.

You get Gambet Locks when a rotation overrides another rotation on another axis meaning you lose a degree of freedom.

Rotate y 180 degrees and then rotating z would do nothing.

-Went to Gamedev for this one. :)

Next, provide a way that this can be avoided using matrix transformations. Account for rounding error that may result in sheering or stretching of the matrix.

I haven't a clue, I didn't know it could be solved in matrices.

Finally, describe a better system for doing order-independent rotations and transformations. Show how this method results in the desired transformation where Euler angles fail.

Nite_Hawk

K.I.L.E.R said:
I have to say "WTF?".:p
Those things weren't covered in the chapter.:???:

I just searched the back of the book for Euler's method and stuff.
That's in chapter 10 and it has a crapload of maths with it.
I'm only on chapter 5 now. :eek:

Hey, if you are going to compete with me for positions doing graphics development or even just console development in general you are going to need to be able to do more than that! <grin>

Keep working hard. Learn more about quaternions and why Euler angles suck. This kind of stuff really can make your head spin, but unfortunately it's rather needed. Making game interfaces, camera, and object movement work well without them really really sucks. :smile:

Nite_Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
Post less.
Study more.
Have fun.
Find friends.
Don't come back here and gossip about your friends.
When you post have fun, keep things on topic.
No, we don't care what size of pants you wear or brand of toothpaste you use.
Have a cookie and enjoy the weekend.

Nite_Hawk said:
Keep working hard. Learn more about quaternions and why Euler angles suck. This kind of stuff really can make your head spin, but unfortunately it's rather needed. Making game interfaces, camera, and object movement work well without them really really sucks. :smile:

Nite_Hawk
If you want to get bonus points though, know why quaternions suck and Euler angles are the best thing since slice bread :D

Context is vital, knowing when X should be used over Y and vice versa is the most important skill you can ever acquire.

Reactions: Geo
DeanoC said:
If you want to get bonus points though, know why quaternions suck and Euler angles are the best thing since slice bread :D

Context is vital, knowing when X should be used over Y and vice versa is the most important skill you can ever acquire.

Heh, true enough. Should I remember that question when I apply at Ninja Theory? ;)

Nite_Hawk

I figure quaternions are best used when you have multiple rotations in a row and you're just interested in the end result?

DeanoC said:

You got some bad rep for your new sig. How could you? :oops:

You have some quite strange questions sometimes.

The I love Derek Smart in your sig is getting annoying. Is it just me or does this board have a fair few homos ( theres nothing wrong with that ).

BTW You've inspired me to change my sig.

Last edited by a moderator:
K.I.L.E.R said:

How old are you? (not trying to be insulting)

Back