Alison Krauss: dts & mp3 320kbps

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I'm comparing two copies of her "New Favorite" album.

One is DTS and the other is mp3 at 320kbps.

The DTS version, even though having less background noise, seems somewhat opaque when compared to the mp3 version.

Comments are welcomed...

DTS 2.0 vs. stereo mp3? Unless you have a very high fidelity system any differences you hear are probably down to the mastering process.

This brings up a query I've had for a while, I have my CD collection ripped to 128/256bit MP3 but there have been a bunch of other formats that came out in the ensuing years.
I've been considering re-ripping everything into a new format for a while.

Assuming that compression tech has advanced somewhat since mp3 (& not particularly wanting to get format/DRM bound), what is the best format these days to encode music to for combo of quality/size?

Thanks for bringing this up... had been meaning to do some testing w/ aac.

Before the tests, I had them ranked:
1) .wma
2) .ogg (really a tie w/ .wma though a slightly different sound... but ranked second b/c .wma more commonly supported in my use)
3) .mp3

Now it is:
1) .m4a
2) .wma / .ogg (still prefer .wma very slightly)
3) .mp3

What separates .m4a/aac for me is the depth and warmth present in the music (well the test music anyway)... both ogg and wma seemed cold and detatched in comparison. mp3...not really worth mentioning.

How I tested: ripped all tracks into various formats using the highest quality settings available below lossless w/ VBR. It should be noted the .m4a files were generally slightly larger than the .wma ex: 16.7 vs 14.1, 8.74 vs 7.38, 5.76 vs 5.04 MB.

Conclusion: I'd listen to .wma, .m4a, and .ogg at the approximate settings you want to rip at and see if you can tell a difference... if you can't... go with whichever has the smaller file size... it all adds up.

EDIT: For the entire album I ripped the file size difference was 119 vs 102 MB (.m4a/.wma).

EDIT2: The aac version I used was actually aacPlus v2.

Last edited by a moderator:
even an mp3 at 320kbps???
Well, I was comparing back to the original CD... and yeah the differences between .mp3 and CD as well as any of the other formats was pretty apparent. Of course, knowing what to listen for and actively listening for flaws is alot different than casual listening. In most cases, I doubt I'd notice if a 320kbps .mp3 was being played instead of a CD. However, the question was which is "the best" and in that regard I feel I made an appropriate judgement.

Well, I was comparing back to the original CD... and yeah the differences between .mp3 and CD as well as any of the other formats was pretty apparent. Of course, knowing what to listen for and actively listening for flaws is alot different than casual listening. In most cases, I doubt I'd notice if a 320kbps .mp3 was being played instead of a CD. However, the question was which is "the best" and in that regard I feel I made an appropriate judgement.
Have you done an ABX test?
If not then you're being silly.
Even the guys are http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/ have a hard time with abx tests now, one guy joked it destroyed his ego :LOL:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45644

Yeah, I know what an ABX test is... not exactly new to the field...
My .ogg rips were old though, I'll try the new algorithm out.

Back