Alien Isolation

Here's an idea, make a sequel and have it be compatible with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR, release date late 2016 (if it is already in development) or early to mid 2017 if it is not. Make the experience focused around Alien encounters and quiet moments and tone down working Joes and enemy human encounters. Boom, instant hit on VR. And the game can work outside of VR as well, like A:I works both with Oculus and without.

Marketing wise you also take advantage of word of mouth and the marketing push of PSVR/Oculus/Vive. If a potential A:I 2 turns out to be a polished VR experience when most people go out and buy a VR headset they will probably want to try games on it, why not have a full fledged game that works great with VR available close to release of the headsets? And if they can't hit that target for 2016 they can release A:I as a "VR enabled version" that works with PSVR/Oculus/Vive at a lower price (around $30) and have the sequel follow up later on. It seems like such a waste to let all that they've built for Alien: Isolation go to waste and never touch the franchise again. Especially because of its potential to be one of the few meaningful VR experiences, the one thing that might make people buy a VR headset in the first place.
Alien: Isolation was the equivalent of the first Alien
A possible sequel could have been more like Aliens. Putting a gun on the character's hands might have worked better to sell the game :D

Alien: Isolation was the equivalent of the first Alien
A possible sequel could have been more like Aliens. Putting a gun on the character's hands might have worked better to sell the game :D

I wouldn't mind a more action oriented Alien game but they have to keep the tension intact, that's what makes the first game so great imo. On the other hand, that's a very hard thing to balance (as the myriad of bad Alien games suggest). If it has to turn to another FPS where nothing matters and you kill everything i'd prefer if they stick to the first formula, just refine the pacing and you're set.

One day I will actually be bothered to get through the part I've been stuck with since I bought the bloody thing - i.e. when you first actually meet the alien.

I'm useless.

It's well worth it, the pacing in the second part of the game is a bit off but leading up to that point it's one of the best experiences in gaming ever imo. And the rest of the game is still great, especially if you are an Alien fan.

[QUOTEheure.ndon-boy, post: 1879774, member: 433"]One day I will actually be bothered to get through the part I've been stuck with since I bought the bloody thing - i.e. when you first actually meet the alien.

I'm useless.[/QUOTE]

Same here

Here's an idea, make a sequel and have it be compatible with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR, release date late 2016 (if it is already in development) or early to mid 2017 if it is not.

The thing is, a lot of us didn't want to play the game because it was too scary already. So I'm not sure if making it even more stressing through VR would be a good move :)

I wouldn't mind a more action oriented Alien game but they have to keep the tension intact, that's what makes the first game so great imo. On the other hand, that's a very hard thing to balance (as the myriad of bad Alien games suggest). If it has to turn to another FPS where nothing matters and you kill everything i'd prefer if they stick to the first formula, just refine the pacing and you're set.
I think they can balance it out. It would be great if aliens dont die. You shoot them to temporary make them pull back. Imagine the game retaining the same mechanics with more weapons ammo and more aliens. Also limited ammo can increase the tension. You give the protagonist extra ammo compared to Isolation and more powerful weapons and you balance it by increasing the numbers of strong Aliens who dont die. Imagine the section where you found an Alien hive. you still have to hide, you still have to be silent but you can occasionally be found by many Aliens and you will need all the help you can get. I would love to see wounded Aliens spraying acid blood that could potentially kill you. That would be another way to make you consider twice to shoot them.

All the previous Alien games made the Aliens die easily. That was a problem because the concept was this: You have a weapon, Aliens are targets, they die. Aliens were treated like wild animals not ferocious otherworldly beings that could withstand extreme conditions more than any known earthly being could. Isolation was the exception. The Alien could not die from cosmic energy exposure, fire, nor bullets. The same happened with the stupid VS Predator and Alien Resurrection movies. In comparison the Aliens movie rarely showed if at all Aliens falling dead from bullets if I recall. Repley and the others were pulling back despite their weaponry and wounded Aliens resulted to wounded human friends due to the acidic blood.
What the game could do is to make you feel dependable and attached to a few NPCs, and increase the tension and the feel of loss by losing them as the game progresses to the point that you are alone near the end.

The thing is, a lot of us didn't want to play the game because it was too scary already. So I'm not sure if making it even more stressing through VR would be a good move :)
I wouldnt be surprised many would have bought it to experience the technology for the thrills regardless if they will ever finish it.

[QUOTEheure.ndon-boy, post: 1879774, member: 433"]One day I will actually be bothered to get through the part I've been stuck with since I bought the bloody thing - i.e. when you first actually meet the alien.

I'm useless.

Same here[/QUOTE]

Same here as well, though I think I'm stuck at an earlier point still. A lot of the actual gameplay just seems so rough. But they really set a great atmosphere. Just leave the spray paint at home next time and bring better animations.

it's definitely worth playing through, i must find the motivation to do it though.
i have to finish the order too, and uncharted trilogy...Battlefront is taking all of my playtime, and yesterday i bought hardline for cheap.

I haven't completed it yet. Yes, I'm all full of shame. :( Even more so when I regard it as possibly the best PS4 game I've played yet (maybe even of the last two generations). I'm at the end though, not much to go....

Beat the game on Nightmare. I also unlocked the achievement of having the alien kill me more than 100 times. ;) That was some intense gaming. Anyone else here bother with nightmare?

I'm going to dive into the salvage mode DLCs next.

By the way, why in the world would anyone want all these doors and vents that automatically open when you walk past? All those doors opening and closing all day long as people walk the corridors. Heh. No wonder all the humans had gone crazy feral bonkers.

it's definitely worth playing through, i must find the motivation to do it though.

It's definitely one of the most stressful gaming experiences I can remember. They way AI throws you straight into the frying pen in chapter 6 (I believe it chapter 6. The med bay one) reminds me of the opening to Resident Evil 4. Very much worth it, though.

It's definitely one of the most stressful gaming experiences I can remember. They way AI throws you straight into the frying pen in chapter 6 (I believe it chapter 6. The med bay one) reminds me of the opening to Resident Evil 4. Very much worth it, though.
Resi 4 didnt scare me or make me feel stressed at all.

But this? It was so intense I would close my eyes and see images from the game.

I wasn't really talking about stress or fear. More about how the town square encounter with (optional) chainsaw guy in RE4 was unusually hard for such an early event in a similarly lenghty game.

Okay, maybe stress.

I'm quite desensitized to the horror and stress of these kinds of games. I've played most of its peers, like everything by Frictional Games. I just get focused and energized by the intensity and figuring out the situation. I love the setting, pacing, story, and play of AI. It's so well done. It has to be the premiere example of the genre. It's definitely the best Alien universe game made in my opinion.

Though I would say when I first played System Shock 2 in 2006, that game terrified me. I hadn't really gotten into this genre until that time. I do remember quitting at times because of stress. Frictional Games' titles will definitely get to you too.

RE4 is a classic and is eerie but yeah it wasn't really psychological horror. The same with Evil Within which felt like RE4 actually. Same designer I suppose.

Last edited:
I wasn't really talking about stress or fear. More about how the town square encounter with (optional) chainsaw guy in RE4 was unusually hard for such an early event in a similarly lenghty game.

Okay, maybe stress.
I think it doesnt fall even close

This is going to be the bump of a century... but i dont care.

I have just finally completed the game. OMFG.

Best game of this generation so far. Easily. What an utter epic and authentic experience this was. I feel bad the game never got the credit it deserved. Thanks to Sega for making this.

Ripley signing off.

Back