ADSL problem

Natoma said:
MAC filtering would be crappy by itself. Stacked on top of WPA, or AES if you have one of the newer routers/cards, it's just another level of protection.

WEP is crap because it's your first line of defense encryption wise, and it can be hacked within minutes. MAC filtering was never designed to be your first line of defense. Merely a supplemental.
Its not even supplemental, lol.
If anyone can crack your WPA or WEP, MAC filtering is not going to do SHIT.

It is the same level of protection as not broadcasting the SSID or turning of DHCP - in other words, almost none.

WPA is good pretection.
WEP is poor protection
MAC filtering, DHCP off, and no SSID broadcast is a mere annoyance. More work for you, and no real extra effort for a hacker. Waste of time.

Have you checked your friends laptop for viruses and trojans? I know it sounds incredulous .. but i've seen things happen which sound alot like what's happening to you.

US

Unknown Soldier said:
Have you checked your friends laptop for viruses and trojans? I know it sounds incredulous .. but i've seen things happen which sound alot like what's happening to you.

US

Yeah, done pretty much everything.
BT engineers are coming down tomorrow to check out the line... We'll see

Natoma,

after the thing we did together, still getting disconnected... :(

So called Netgear, they got me to change the channel (from 11 to 6 then 9).. not sure how that's gonna help but well let's see....

Right.

Sorry if it took me a while.

Basically, here's the situation,

There are 4 phone plugs in my house. One of them doesn't work. it's not silent, it kinda gives a noise when attached to a phone (mmm...)

All plugs have have a microfilter, the modem/router is attached to the master socket, and the remaining 2 plugs have one phone each attached to them.

I was thinking that the plug that doesn't work is affecting the line, and that's why i get disconnected.

Also, it's just weird that when the laptop turns on, the connection drops. Even using static IPs doesn't solve the prob.

I've used 2 modems already and the problem is still there.

Thanks for any help.

Back