Ads in PC GAMER: IHV-sponsored games

Geeforcer

Harmlessly Evil
Veteran
As I was reading the December PC Gamer (US), I decided to put the annoying ads to use and see how many of the advertised games are IHV-affiliated.

Ads: 17. There were 17 ads for actual games/expansion packs
NV: 9. That many games had the TWIMTBP logo
ATI: 1. The only place I saw ATI's logo was on Guild Wars: Nightfall act.

So, is the GITG dead and I just missed the news or did I pick a bad time to do the survey?

It's always been like that in both PCG and CGW. So I'm not sure if it's in any way indicative of the state of GITG.

Always been that way. ATi really doesnt have a marketing clue if you ask me. I seriously doubt the merge will effect it that much, even if the staff its let go, because AMD doesnt have a marketing clue either.

Bump: So, is GITG program still ongoing?

Good luck figuring that out.

I do not believe there was ever a grand announcement of ending it. Tho I've heard rumbles it might be more or less moribund, or maybe in hiatus, or napping, or something.

There is this page, with several entries on it and a subdirectory of GITG http://ati.amd.com/gitg/promotions/lanparty/archive/everlanwinter2003.html

On the other hand, click "Home" at the top there, and you end up at CrossFire, and can see the redirect happening in your URL bar.

So. . . . <shrugs>

One sort of senses not that ATI has thrown in their hand, because that would be a great overstatement. But possibly a sense of biding their time for the next big push when DX10 hits? I mean, they started evangalizing DX10 heavily like 6 months ago! You could see the wave of "ATI Future of Gaming" pieces roll across the world/internet. . . .

[obvious statement]It's all about money and support the developers receive and the resources ATI can throw at them. NVIDIA could even be allocating a budget to pay to have their logo on ads supplied by ISV's to magazines. I have heard that they are generous with supplying free hardware to developers.[/obvious statement]

This subject has been run over as much as a cat on the 101 (southbound) nv marketing yay! ati marketing b00!

The Get In The Game program has been discontinuated since quite a while. Now it's just gaming with Ati and/or Crossfire.

Soon, the Ati will be replaced by AMD, I presume.

Is there any chance at AMD/ATi starting up a new program? I personally believe that TWIMTBP is one of Nvidia's great marketing wins. I often hear in video game stores, when talking to friends, and helping people buy computers that so and so game had the Nvidia logo and that's a company they want in their computer.

Is there any chance at AMD/ATi starting up a new program? I personally believe that TWIMTBP is one of Nvidia's great marketing wins. I often hear in video game stores, when talking to friends, and helping people buy computers that so and so game had the Nvidia logo and that's a company they want in their computer.

Agreed. It's sad to say, but about 75% of the time, if a friend (and these are computer people! aigh!) has a problem with a game, they ask, "should I get an nVidia? it says to use an nVidia." and I just tell them to update their drivers and it works! criminy! like every week this happens (used to be every day when I was in the PC repair biz)... >_<

Back