Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

Aloy looks a lot better.

49995779038_007ac3562a_4k.jpg
ಠ_ಠ

I don't want to be a party pooper. I do think that this game looks amazing and truly next-gen, but I wonder why the feathered part in the arrow looks soooo gamey. It seems they're using a textured sheet of flat polygons, so to speak: no volume, no shadows between the threads of the feathers.

And more on topic, regarding the character, I like that the "wire hair" is less apparent, now.

I'm so excited about next-gen! :mrgreen:

I wonder why the feathered part in the arrow looks soooo gamey. It seems they're using a textured sheet of flat polygons, so to speak: no volume, no shadows between the threads of the feathers.
Maybe because it's a WIP and they haven't gotten around to updating all the assets from what they've been using from the PS4 game?

Maybe because it's a WIP and they haven't gotten around to updating all the assets from what they've been using from the PS4 game?
Maybe, that could be a good explanation. At any rate, it's just a little observation. Overall, Aloy looks great and so much better than in the first game. :)

I think just about every game showed this past thursday looked insane.
So the nitpicking is kinda blowing my mind as well.

There's such a substantial difference in polygon count between Aloy on ps4 vs. what's been captured
from ps5.

It almost feels like they don't have to consider nearly as many constraints as they did before.
Look at the amount of polygons thrown at her face, hair, attire. It's kinda crazy to be honest.

It's the insignificant little feathery end bit of an arrow. We're really picking those nits! ;)

I think just about every game showed this past thursday looked insane.
So the nitpicking is kinda blowing my mind as well.

There's such a substantial difference in polygon count between Aloy on ps4 vs. what's been captured
from ps5.

It almost feels like they don't have to consider nearly as many constraints as they did before.
Look at the amount of polygons thrown at her face, hair, attire. It's kinda crazy to be honest.

Oh, but this nitpicking is a good thing, don't you see? It means that the character itself is so good that other little things are those that stand out as not so realistic. ;)

That's not as crazy as it sounds. If everything is mediocre, the whole scene is accepted as mediocre, but if everything it brilliant except for one mediocre thing, the mediocre thing stands out and becomes cognitively disruptive. I had that moment with the cat game Stray - I'm watching it, it's beautiful, and then the cat jumps on a canopy and its underside is glowing blue and my brain rebels and breaks out of the immersion. I ended up stopping the video and looking to see if I missed something. The light under the canopy bled through with zero shadowing from the fabric. Because the rest of the lighting is so good and consistent, this jumps out at me. If the whole game had flawed lighting, it wouldn't have been noticeable or disruptive. Or my criticism of the radioactive glowing rocks in Uncharted4, that I just couldn't get over. ;)

Going forwards, we'll have more and more of these moments where the whole game is at such an advanced level, the bits left behind are going to stick out even more. Nitpicking is fine. At B3D, we're pursuing that photorealistic ideal and pointing out flaws/limits in games doesn't detract at all from the successes of the devs*. It just shows where else to work.

* Save in the case of trolls who push that critique option too far just to belittle games they don't like.

Hellblade 2 (assuming cutscenes look like that) is just amazing.. and considering how good Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice looked given the size of the team and budget, I believe it.

Was Hellblade 2 running on a series X ?
I can't remember but didn't the most recent series x event say that most the games weren't running on series x yet?

DF thinks it's pre-rendered, NT never openly confirmed it's real time on XSX either. But after watching the PS5 event this should be easily achieved anyway. If an open world game like Horizon 2 can achieve this level of graphics already at native 4k/30fps then a linear game like Hellblade 2 with very limited on screen actions or foliage density should have more than enough resource to render this level of quality main character. Not to mention the trailer was rendered at 3840x1608 and 24fps, that's way under 4k/30fps, this should be possible on XSX no question.

NT never openly confirmed it's real time on XSX either
Then it probably wasn't because I don't see how if it was they wouldn't say it.
Also everyone has been saying how Series X seems to be ahead of Sony in the process but it's only Sony who has shown games actually running on the hardware? Or is there something running on the series X other than backwards compatible games that I haven't seen?

Back to the topic at hand I would love to see Fight Night make a return the boxers would look almost photo realistic I would imagine next gen.

Back