Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

New trailer reveal for Hideo Kojima's next game 'OD' utilising Meta Humans to great effect on UE (via DSOG)
Cant wait to see Meta Humans mature on next gen (gen 10) tech, should be truly impressive and possibly step over the uncanny valley?

Am I the only person in the world looking at all these fantasy characters with their rough skin and tangled hair and lack of makeup or general hygiene and perfect, whitened teeth and feeling the pang of misplaced orthodontics at work? I find perfectly aligned, gleaming teeth so off-putting in so many games, movies and TV shows, ever more-so as the characters are supposed to be down-and-out or struggling. For TV, they gotta film their actors who had braces from 13 and floss twice daily, but for games there's no reason not to have naturally misaligned teeth with some pre-toothpaste or "really haven't got time to stop and brush at the moment" levels of cleanliness. Artists no longer model faces with perfect, unnatural symmetry, but they ignore setting-appropriate oral health.

Am I the only person in the world looking at all these fantasy characters with their rough skin and tangled hair and lack of makeup or general hygiene and perfect, whitened teeth and feeling the pang of misplaced orthodontics at work? I find perfectly aligned, gleaming teeth so off-putting in so many games, movies and TV shows, ever more-so as the characters are supposed to be down-and-out or struggling. For TV, they gotta film their actors who had braces from 13 and floss twice daily, but for games there's no reason not to have naturally misaligned teeth with some pre-toothpaste or "really haven't got time to stop and brush at the moment" levels of cleanliness. Artists no longer model faces with perfect, unnatural symmetry, but they ignore setting-appropriate oral health.

I don’t know about you but I don’t really want to look at nasty ass teeth in real life or in games. Trevor in GTA V had some gnarly teeth though.

Did we watch the same trailer? They look quite normal.
It was a more general observation on accurate human rendering in games than in response to this video. Note I didn't reply to the video directly. Those teeth are appropriate for the content whether natural or treated. Does Metahuman include settings for natural teeth, for example?
I don’t know about you but I don’t really want to look at nasty ass teeth in real life or in games.
There are lots of nasty things we're okay looking at in games though. Bits of limbs, guts over the floor, diseased pustules, violent acts, etc. Why would medieval folk with medieval teeth to go with their medieval skin be so egregious?

does that count as accurate ?

Attachments

• com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-135506.jpg
    com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-135506.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 36
  • com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-141101.jpg
    com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-141101.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 32
  • com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-141111.jpg
    com.noghost.thegrandgetaway-20231208-141111.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 31
There are lots of nasty things we're okay looking at in games though. Bits of limbs, guts over the floor, diseased pustules, violent acts, etc. Why would medieval folk with medieval teeth to go with their medieval skin be so egregious?

Good question. Probably have been desensitized to guts and gore.

Does Metahuman include settings for natural teeth, for example?

Looks like it

You can use these controls to control tooth length and spacing, over- and underbites, receding gums, plaque, and more.

In addition, you can set the following properties:

• Tooth Color
  • Gum Color
  • Plaque Color
  • Plaque Amount, which controls plaque opacity.

1702051007104.png

Granted this is not 'in game' but pretty damn amazing. 'Channel 1' are to replace live anchors with AI generated ones. They say 'Avatars and voice in this video is 100% AI-generated'. (via twitter)
I'm wondering if these will be generated in real time or precomputed?

Oh god the voices aren't so bad but please stop cutting to the faces, it's like watching a demon bad at pretending to be human possessing someone.

Granted this is not 'in game' but pretty damn amazing. 'Channel 1' are to replace live anchors with AI generated ones. They say 'Avatars and voice in this video is 100% AI-generated'. (via twitter)
I'm wondering if these will be generated in real time or precomputed?

So they start with AI generated presenters and then want us to trust all the news footage is real?!

I haven't seen any images related to Callisto Protocol here. I'm surprised about that but I do have some.

In my opinion, it has by far the most realistic characters in a game. Hair could be even better though.

Cutscene
callisto_protocol (1).jpg

Gameplay, very good lighting conditions
callisto_protocol (33).jpg

callisto_protocol (30).jpg

callisto_protocol (31).jpg

Shadow between neck and suit is missing.
callisto_protocol (29).jpg

Gameplay, spacesuit
callisto_protocol (18).jpg

Female, cutscene
callisto_protocol (36).jpg

Gameplay
callisto_protocol (37).jpg

Cutscene
callisto_protocol (4).jpg

callisto_protocol (15).jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen any images related to Callisto Protocol here. I'm surprised about that but I do have some.

In my opinion, it has by far the most realistic characters in a game. Hair could be even better though.

Cutscene
View attachment 10425

Gameplay, very good lighting conditions
View attachment 10426

View attachment 10427

View attachment 10428

Shadow between neck and suit is missing.
View attachment 10429

Gameplay, spacesuit
View attachment 10430

Female, cutscene
View attachment 10431

Gameplay
View attachment 10434

Cutscene
View attachment 10432

View attachment 10433

Everyone in this game must be super thirsty like, all the time.

Decima continues to rock.

GFNViaSXsAAggUP

53502279829_f260ffbce2_o.jpg

53502294919_7266249b14_o.png

They namechecked Metahuman on the Death Stranding 2 title card. 3Lateral have direct involvement by the looks of their website. Same with Hellblade 2. Found it interesting to reach the level of 'accurate' these games display you need to bring in the most expert of experts.

Back