Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this is highly stylized, but Summer Lesson VR demo on Project Morpheus has just got a new girl model.

We have just started on the long road on discovering what level of rendering detail will be needed for realistic human to AI interaction in VR. :)

I know that this is highly stylized, but Summer Lesson VR demo on Project Morpheus has just got a new girl model.

We have just started on the long road on discovering what level of rendering detail will be needed for realistic human to AI interaction in VR. :)
Wow. That's probably the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time. From the song, to the girl, to the fact that you'd be playing someone who is chained to a chair and unable to move around. Creepy creepy creepy.

The human rendering in Metro 2033 Last Light holds up fairly well. Been playing through it again recently and was pleased with how good the people can look at times. Here's an album of some screenshots I took. I get around 100 fps at 1080p, so there's certainly power for even more detail.

http://imgur.com/a/7BhoN

They both look great but Uncharted gets the nod here. Everything is so well defined. The expressions are insane.

Lara looks too "perfect". It looks, almost, like a featureless anime face. There's little personality to her.

The exact opposite can be said for Drake with that image. Man, that looks good.

Lara looks too "perfect". It looks, almost, like a featureless anime face. There's little personality to her.

The exact opposite can be said for Drake with that image. Man, that looks good.
That's due to the lighting in the scene. Take a look at the video Karamazov posted, she has plenty of pore detail.

Pores are the high frequency details, whereas the low frequency details are things like the nose, the eyes etc.

Lara's head is missing mid frequency details, form variations with a scale between the two.

You know what, I should have posted this some weeks ago.

http://www.wikihuman.org
Emily_2_1_cam2.jpg

There are many many aspects of a human face that look really creepy from certain points of view. On the one hand, you have to realize that we're basically made from some tiny semi-transparent bags full of strange liquids and other, even stranger stuff - on the other hand, it'll eventually drive you to appreciate our perception of the sum of these things.

As for that picture, it has a lot going against it - quite unrealistic lighting, absolutely no hair on the CG half, and so on. But it's a very good and descriptive one.

If you scroll down so that her eyebrow areas are out of view and only look at the other areas of her face it looks quite convincing, because you aren't looking at the areas with no hair.

Plus her entire CG side is lit from an angle different from the side that the real one is lit from.

There are many many aspects of a human face that look really creepy from certain points of view. On the one hand, you have to realize that we're basically made from some tiny semi-transparent bags full of strange liquids and other, even stranger stuff - on the other hand, it'll eventually drive you to appreciate our perception of the sum of these things.

As for that picture, it has a lot going against it - quite unrealistic lighting, absolutely no hair on the CG half, and so on. But it's a very good and descriptive one.

Texture res needs to be at least..... three times that size!

Skin details are what I'd point at for a first thing with H5 characters. A bit too smooth overall. Still, H4 had those as well, so maybe it's just filtered out by the renderer in medium shots.
I think it's mostly just that that's a capture from a low-bitrate web video, so most of the high-frequency detail has been blurred out by the encoding.

There's a much better quality version on waypoint:

h5-guardians-render-buck-head-0653a99424924770bdbfdd6b32de8066.png

Plus renders for the rest of Locke's team: Locke, Tanaka, Vale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back