Abusive driving fixed my Pathfinder!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Yup! 8)

My "Service Engine Soon" light went on a few weeks ago, but I couldn't figure out why it was on. All my fluids were good and she was running just spiffy.

My wife reminded me that the last time that happened we took it in and it turned out to be the fuel injectors just needed cleaning, and she asked me if I had been driving wildly lately. To which I replied, "Of course not, I always go the kids...I drive like a grandmother with 'em!".
(Well, my idea of driving like a grandmother might be considered just a tad wreckless and extreme by some grandmas....but I digress.)

So she recomends that before I take it in again I try and open her up a bit and clean 'em out the fun way. :D

I took my kids to my Mother's house this morning on the expressway and kept it at 80 in fourth, which hits about 5500 on my tach about 1000 under redline. It was about a 3 mile trip roaring all the way, and when I started her up to go home the "Service Engine Soon" light was off.....so I made a trip out to my wife at work to bring her lunch driving like a madman the whole way and luuuuving it.

Screw the Z, I love my truck. 8)

Maybe after all the maltreatment the "Service Engine Soon" light was flashing so hard it broke?!!! :)

nutball said:
Maybe after all the maltreatment the "Service Engine Soon" light was flashing so hard it broke?!!! :)
Could be, either way it's off so it's all better.
yep.gif

Or it could be your gas cap was off at some point in the recent past. The cars detect that as a vacuum line issue and the service engine light comes on.

It doesn't turn right off, either, once you tighten the cap. It takes some number of inigtions before the onboard computer decides the problem is fixed.

RussSchultz said:
Or it could be your gas cap was off at some point in the recent past. The cars detect that as a vacuum line issue and the service engine light comes on.

It doesn't turn right off, either, once you tighten the cap. It takes some number of inigtions before the onboard computer decides the problem is fixed.
Weird you should mention that, I got one of them "pop the gascap door from inside the vehicle only" type fill-up thingies and a corner of it seem a bit askew to me.

Mebbe someone siphoned some go-go juice off me? :?

Ah, it felt so good to have the light off that me and the kids gave her a bath this afternoon and for a 7 year old vehicle she is looking damned good methinks. 8)

Then again, she only gots 31k miles on her. :oops:

Loose gas caps cause a lot of those. Most vehicles reset after 300km.

You can pick up OBD2 code readers pretty cheap now-a-days. Might be a good investment if the light comes on again.

Back